tgm's bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

tgm's bag

Postby tgm » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:09 pm

OK, so I'm admitted plastic addict. I made the common decision of thinking it better try everything and see what you like rather than be happy with my few decent discs. Without spending too much time on things, I started with mostly Innova discs and have now found a preference for Discraft (after initially disliking them) and especially the FLX plastic. Which has left me with a stack of discs that I'm unsure about what I'll do with but are nice to have to keep things fresh and spares for friends to get them into the sport. Also, a large number of discs are misprints/x-outs thanks to GGGT which made it cheaper to try a wide variety. My friends got me into the sport this winter (in the snow) and now I'm hooked.

My current field distance is 300-350 range (accurate up to about 285) but I'm slowly making progress on my technique and getting a bit longer each week. I throw mostly BH but also throw FH when the hole makes more sense rather than trying to make a disc really work hard.

Updated bag Sept
Distance Drivers
ESP Surge - When I get a wide open field
D Surge - lost my FLX Surge SS :( so this is replacing it, working well so far

Overstable Driver
FLX Predator - loving this disc in the windy days, and bigger dog legs

Stable/Understable Drivers
X Cyclone - my favorite disc, hated the rim at first but just an awesome disc
D Cyclone - beating up a set of them to become less stable, my goto for when I think I might lose one

Midrange
FLX Buzzz - straight as an arrow, goes right where I throw it, and usually misses trees.
D Buzzz - new addition, hopefully to be a bit understable eventually
Z Wasp - good addition for approaches with a bit of fade at the end
D Zone - love the flatness, moved back to mid, but still putt with it about 1/4 of the time to get around trees

Putter
Wizard (organic) - broke down and gave it a try and it's now my default putter and approach disc

What's sitting in the corner at home (and used in 'loaner' sets)
DX Dragon (150) - for when I play water courses (not often)
Ch Leopard (169) - still sort of like this one, might bring it back (or use for night golf)
DX Cheetah (169) - first disc, got really beat up by trees while I was learning
Ch Sidewinder (150/166) - liked the understable at first, but preferring more stable these days, Cyclones replace this as my favorite disc
ST FL (171) - Replaced by the Predator, which I like much better
Ch Groove (174) - stupid purchase, got suckered by marketing, trading to friend for beer
X XL (172) - tried it out with my Cyclone but can't throw it FH well, helped me settle on the Cyclone
*Z Surge SS - loved the color and dye (makes it in occasionally and night rounds)
D Challenger (174) - just couldn't make consistent putts with it, so it stays as a field practice disc, good for that purpose.
Soft Magnet - a nice straight flyer, for short easy putts and hills

edit:
Updated after comments to add the Wasp and drop the Challenger.
Last edited by tgm on Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:12 pm, edited 11 times in total.
sols, trak, pd/teebird, firebird, buzzz, ridge, summit
tgm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: tgm's bag

Postby corey115 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:41 pm

You may add a midrange that is longer than the zone, but can also handle a headwind. A Wasp would be a perfect complement to your Buzzz.

Also a headwind driver that is between your Surge and Pred in stability.
Predator | Avenger | Boss | Drone | Buzzz | Yeti
corey115
1000 Rated Poster

Postby BeSquared » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:59 am

I'll begin by saying you are in the right track. For your main driver you are using an understable disc that is good for building technique and getting you the most distance for your power level. I also like that I do not see any speed demons in there (Wraiths, Bosses, etc). While the Surge is fast the SS varient makes it much easier to control. Its also nice to see that they Cyclone is your favorite disc out of the set which tells me you throw it often which is GREAT. That is a great disc to learn with.

You may add a midrange that is longer than the zone, but can also handle a headwind. A Wasp would be a perfect complement to your Buzzz.

Also a headwind driver that is between your Surge and Pred in stability.

I agree 100%. Snag yourself a Z-wasp and have some fun with it. I have 2 in my bag and I love them and he is correct in saying it will compliment your buzzz very well. As far as a headwind driver to go in between ht is also correct. A few choices that you might want to try: Avenger, Teebird (Shamless plug >>), Surge (Elite-X).

D Surge (17?) - it was a misprint and I wanted to compare it to my SS, thinking of keeping it in my car with a spare D Cyclone and D Zone to play over lunches with, since it's a little more stable than the SS but not quite a Predator

There ya go, sounds like it could be worth a shot. Good luck!
Meh...
BeSquared
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby tgm » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:50 pm

I picked up a Z Wasp (164) last weekend and played with it over the weekend. Out in the field it didn't act much different from my Buzzz but on the course it was noticeable different (I think it was a bit windy in the field). It turned out to be a perfect purchase since on my second round with the disc I aced a hole with it. :)

The one I got has a pretty gentle fade at the end of the flight but otherwise flies quite a bit (straight) like the Buzzz. I actually found myself pulling it out for more short shots than the Buzzz and would probably take it along for my 3/4 disc rounds. It holds up to the wind better than Buzzz but in heavy wind the Zone works best (maybe cause the Wasp is a bit light too). My friend gave me a D Wasp after I played with him later in the day and mentioned my Wasp, he said he wasn't going to use it so I'm going to see how that flies too, good to have a second practice disc.

I tried working in a regular Surge but it I think I can get by with just my SS and Pred in the distance category. I've also been finding myself grab for the SS a bit more lately since it gets me about another 20-30 feet on my Cyclones, but sometimes it goes it bit too far if I throw it well.
tgm
Tree Magnet

Postby tgm » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:10 pm

I finally broke down and added a Wizard to my bag. I got Soft and Organic ones and I'm really liking the organic. The rubbery grip feels really good to me and I'd say it's a bit between the soft and super-soft in firmness. I play heavily wooded courses most of the time and so far I like how the disc absorbs the impact of the trees and doesn't shoot off too far.

I'm still trying to get it to go in for longer putts but I'm having great luck with it as an approach disc. It seems to stall out right next to the basket (but just short of going in) and doesn't roll too far away like my Zone does if I miss. I've also somewhat neglected my Wasp in favor of the Zone for fade shots, it's just much more consistent with my throw, since I think I tend to overpower the Wasp which makes it fly almost exactly like my Buzzz.

I'm also finding myself overshooting holes now (which is a good thing) and stepping down to my mids more often for shots and my Buzzz is starting to get quite a work out now during my rounds. I'm even starting to drive with my putter on some of the shorter holes.
tgm
Tree Magnet

Postby tgm » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:15 pm

I got a chance to go play High Bridge, WI for a weekend and brought my full set of discs along. What a great DG area. After playing all weekend I've ended up narrowing down my bag to the ones I threw most often. The D versions are really just there as backups and potential trouble holes. Occasionally I'll putt with the Zone too if I'm close or having issues with my Wizard during the round.

ESP Surge (169) -worked beautiful on the Gold course long hole, I got a 6!
FLX Predator (169) - rarely threw it, only wind and heavy turns
X Cyclone (172)
D Cyclone (168)
FLX Buzzz (171)
D Buzzz (172)
D Zone (174)
Wizard (organic) (175)

I took out the Wasp since it just wasn't overstable enough like the Zone and seemed to fly too much like the Buzzz. But I did use it on the night golf course and it worked great so it'll have an occasional place in my bag maybe to swap out for one of the Buzzz's from time to time.

I also tried a Roc recently and thought pretty nice things about it. It was sort of like the Wasp though in that it pretty much flies like my Buzzz, but I like the feel of the Buzzz a little bit better. I have to try the Roc out a bit more though, it's a pretty nice disc. I understand why it comes highly recommended around here.

I've also started playing rounds with just the Wizard and Buzzz/Roc after work. I think it's helped out my game quite a bit and I find myself grabbing less and less for the Surge. The last time out I landed my Cyclone right under the basket on hole 5 of Lakewood Hills and the second round I ended up past the hole.

If I could only play with one disc, right now I'd probably go with the Buzzz. Although I've quickly grown fond of my organic Wizard.
tgm
Tree Magnet

Postby tgm » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:59 pm

Even more minimal now. I keep the D versions in the bag for water/trouble shots.

ESP Surge / Z Surge SS - I flip flop depending on the course and my mood
FLX Predator - heavy wind and trick shots
X Cylcone
D Cyclone
DX Roc - wind?
Z Buzzz - my main disc now, probably FLX for the winter
D Buzzz
Wizard (soft) - drives
Wizard (organic) - putts

I realize I might be committing some sort of sin throwing the Roc and Buzzz, but I'm thinking the Roc is a bit better in the wind and behaves more like what I was hoping my Wasp was going to be like. I took the Zone out for a bit to see if I could just get by with the Predator.

I've really fallen in love with the Buzzz lately. It's replaced the Cyclone as my favorite disc. As I've been getting more distance, I found myself overshooting the holes I usually drove with the Cyclone. Now the Cyclone is taking the place of where I used to throw the Surge and I'm only pulling out the Surge a few times a round. Plus, I started playing rounds with just the Buzzz and Wizard and that helped a ton. I wish I'd done that earlier in the year.

When I really want a "light" bag, I take out the D Cyclone and the driving Wizard.
tgm
Tree Magnet

Postby Mason65 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:43 pm

I would favor the Zone over a Roc for a wind mid, maybe even a Drone? (haven't thrown one but I hear good things.)
Destroyer*XXX*Eagle*Roc*Ion

Golden Retrieved: 18
Mason65
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The pink one

Postby tgm » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:53 pm

The problem with the Zone is while it's good for wind, it's just too overstable for the way I currently play. I used to putt with them but now I'm rolling with Wizards (and loving them).

I got a chance to play in some moderate wind today and the Roc did just what I was looking for in handling the wind (much better than I expected). For now I think I can get by with just the Predator for the really high wind scenarios and short trick/trouble shots where I need something overstable. I might put the Zone in for the slot once it starts snowing though since I probably won't really need the distance.

I think I'm happy with the bag for the time being. My only flip flop now is between the Surge and the Surge SS, but I think I'm going to favor the Surge since my Cyclone isn't too much shorter than the SS and the Surge gives me nice reliable fade. I also think the Buzzz/Roc works very complimentary. For me, they act like two very distinct discs. The Buzzz is dead straight and the Roc has a nice bit of fade at the end, sort of like the Surge.

Oh and I picked up an ESP Cyclone to rotate in my X Cyclone spot.
tgm
Tree Magnet

Minimal molds be damned!

Postby tgm » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:13 pm

Well, since I got my two new GB bags I've revamped things.

The Chimp gets me lots of fun stuff
Distance
Z Surge SS (for the really long open stuff)
ESP Surge

Fairway
FLX Predator (rarely used, usually forehand trick shots)
ESP/X Cyclone
D Cyclone
DX Teebird
Z Stalker
MJLS (new disc for the season)

Mids
KC Roc
DX Roc
Z Buzzz
D Buzzz

Putters
Soft Wizard (approaches and toss-ins, SS in winter)
Organic Wizard (putting)

And the scaled back Spider Monkey setup
Surge SS
Surge
FLX Pred
Cyclone
Teebird
Stalker
Z Buzzz
KC Roc
Soft Wiz
Org Wiz

The Teebird and Stalker sort of overlap, but instead of carrying two stalkers or Teebirds, I treat them more like a base/premium set. We'll see how much I like the JLS, it might take the Cyclone's spot for a bit.
tgm
Tree Magnet

Postby tgm » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:00 pm

I'm dropping the Stalker from the small bag for a bit. I picked up a couple CE Teebirds to give some love to. I've been having good luck with the DX ones and they seem to go just a bit farther and be slightly more stable than the Stalker. I'll still keep a Stalker in my Chimp setup.

I'm torn because I like them both for different reasons but I use them for basically the same shot. I can still see maybe keeping both in my Chimp, since the Stalker is better at the lower heights and I play in the trees quite a bit.
tgm
Tree Magnet

Postby tgm » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:18 am

Got out to play BRP this weekend and have decided to move the Stalker to the big bag as a utility disc. The Teebird worked very well and has much more distance, plus just a touch more very late fade to get around objects.

The new spider monkey.
Organic Wizard
D Buzzz
Z/FLX Buzzz (depends on the day)
KC Roc
D Cyclone
ESP Cyclone
DX Teebird
CE Teebird
FLX Predator
ESP Surge
tgm
Tree Magnet

Postby Danforth » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:24 am

Looks pretty solid. With TeeChikns in there, the Stalker just overlaps too much.
VoodooWizardBuzzLeoT-BirdFirebirdProSF

"Hitler and Mussolini were only the primary spokesmen for the attitude of domination and craving for power that are in the heart of almost everyone. Until the source is cleared, there will always be confusion and hate, wars and class antagonisms." - Jiddu Krishnamurti
Danforth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TeeChicken

Postby tgm » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:49 pm

Dropping my wide rims for more controllable stuff for a bit. I'm getting pretty much the same distance with them anyways but it's much more reliable.

Organic Wizard
D Buzzz
Z Buzzz
KC Roc
Pro Leopard
D Cyclone
X Cyclone
MJLS
DX Teebird
CE Teebird
FLX Predator

I added the Leopard back in for some easy turning stuff and I'm surprised at how much distance I'm getting with them. I'm playing around with the JLS as it seems to get really good distance but can work tighter S lines than the Cyclone. I'm still struggling with the Roc but it works brilliantly as an approach disc. I've nailed multiple long approaches with it so it's hard to leave out. The staples are really the Wizard, Buzzz, Cyclone, Teebird now, the others are specialties to make life easier.
tgm
Tree Magnet

Postby masterbeato » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:01 pm

IMO i would only work with 3-4 molds tops since your midrange molds i see will have an overlap between the buzzz and the roc because once you start beating in a roc you will have a couple rocs that will be around the similar standings as a buzzz (but far far more workable, meaning you should have more use for a roc than a buzzz at that point), but for right now i would say all of your rec rounds that do not matter and all of your field work for the next month or so, work with these following molds only:

DX Teebird

D (or X) Cyclone - it really depends on if the D plastic is the old mold plastic, but if not then X is ok.

DX Roc

Wizards are ok if that is all you have, but if you have like a DX/KC Aviar or something that is more workable, that would be even better, but i would not worry too much about it if you do not have any laying around.

after about a month, throw a buzzz and everything else, then see how much easier it is.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion