Basket fall-through

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Basket fall-through

Postby sharkthrower » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:49 pm

I was playing a weekly doubles yesterday, and one guy had a drop-in putt after a nice, long approach. However, he dropped his disc in the basket at an absolutely imperfect angle (or perfect angle, depending on who you are) and it literally fell through one of the holes on the side.

Is this a missed putt? It was voted that he would have to take the stroke and drop-in again, but I had no clue.
sharkthrower
Tree Magnet

Re: Basket fall-through

Postby mobster » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:10 pm

The disc has to be at rest in the chains or in the basket. It's a missed putt if it falls out.
mobster
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Nuke SS

Postby inthedrift » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:25 am

Was the basket bent? What type of basket?
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby sharkthrower » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:46 am

inthedrift wrote:Was the basket bent? What type of basket?

I don't recall which kind of basket it was, but it was definitely an older model.
sharkthrower
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:20 am

He takes the stroke. Happened to a guy in a tournament recently with one of those gummy vibram putters. He threw it in and it dived down and right through the bottom. As said above, it has to remain stationary in the basket.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby JimW » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:53 pm

black udder wrote:He takes the stroke. Happened to a guy in a tournament recently with one of those gummy vibram putters. He threw it in and it dived down and right through the bottom. As said above, it has to remain stationary in the basket.

That's big news then, a Vibram putter that came out! :lol:
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:26 pm

As said above, it has to remain stationary in the basket.

Not exactly true. A disc "securely" in the chains can be moving in the wind and the group can allow the player to remove it.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby roman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:27 pm

I wonder what basket it was that allowed a disc to slip through like that. Unless it was a gummy disc, it shouldn't have. The only time I've seen something like that happen was when the welding on the ring at the bottom of the basket came undone, causing the ring to shift a little to one side. That created gaps on the other side that were big enough for a disc to slip through if you turned it right.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby dgdave » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:34 pm

black udder wrote:He takes the stroke. Happened to a guy in a tournament recently with one of those gummy vibram putters. He threw it in and it dived down and right through the bottom. As said above, it has to remain stationary in the basket.

Was that Ray P?
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby black udder » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:14 pm

dgdave wrote:

Was that Ray P?

Probably. I know his name is Ray, but can't remember the last name. He's in the Masters age bracket. It was hole 3 at Loreilla.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby pointdisc » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:11 pm

On a completely different, but somewhat same note, what about this scenario (true story btw):

During league, two of the group had already holed out & cleared the basket. The third person putts & it bounces off the basket into the chains. However, foreknown to us, someone had taken the bolt out that connects the basket to the pole & replaced it with two little sticks. His hitting the basket jarred it enough to cause it to fall to the ground. The putter then falls with the basket after hitting the chains & bounces out of the basket when the basket hits the ground. We called it in, but it was probably the first & last time I will ever see that happen.

A new bolt has been put in & properly JB welded in place now so no one can take it.

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby chiggins » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:43 pm

pointdisc wrote:During league, two of the group had already holed out & cleared the basket. The third person putts & it bounces off the basket into the chains. However, foreknown to us, someone had taken the bolt out that connects the basket to the pole & replaced it with two little sticks. His hitting the basket jarred it enough to cause it to fall to the ground. The putter then falls with the basket after hitting the chains & bounces out of the basket when the basket hits the ground. We called it in, but it was probably the first & last time I will ever see that happen.

I think in that scenario, everyone drinks. Have to check the rule book to be sure, though.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Dogma » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:58 pm

chiggins wrote:I think in that scenario, everyone drinks. Have to check the rule book to be sure, though.

:lol:
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby veganray » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:49 am

I Wanna Roc wrote:He takes the stroke. Happened to a guy in a tournament recently with one of those gummy vibram putters. He threw it in and it dived down and right through the bottom. As said above, it has to remain stationary in the basket.

That was I. It sucked, but the amount of extras that I am making with it more than make up for one heartbreaking squirt-through.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby dgdave » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:15 pm

I figured it was you because I haven't heard of anyone else who uses those.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Next

Return to Rules Discussion