2009 Worlds at Kansas City

A place to post or request tournament information.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: 2009 Worlds at Kansas City

Postby inthedrift » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:46 am

The guys that did that Swedish Disc Golf vid that dgdave posted need to be brought in for all forthcoming Worlds. :D
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:56 am

I guess my point is just that, if the PDGA can't afford to hire anyone to do it in a "cutting edge" way, they shouldn't hog the exclusivity and prevent anyone else from doing it. I don't think money is the issue, though. I doubt the Chains people have a budget that exceeds $30k.

When an organization owns a brand, it doesn't matter how small they are or what their budget is, they still own the brand and the rights to its use. In fact, they have to defend those rights from infringers or risk losing their trademarks with anyone getting to use them like "PDGA World Championship."

Lately, it sounds like the last few World DVDs have sold enough within 3 yerars to recoup the $30K inverstment to produce them so it's about breakeven for the org.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Disc Golf Live » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:09 am

pg043 wrote:By the way, do you happen to know how many copies of the Worlds DVDs are typically sold? I am guessing not too many, because we hardly ever sell them at the shop where I work. I have often wondered how much of a market there is for them.

I think the market is pretty small and made smaller by some pretty steep pricing on the part of the PDGA. Pricing that is perhaps necessary to support the fleet of shooters they have scurrying around out there to cover the event. Getting good footage is only part of the equation and the story-telling end of things is where the PDGA product is weakest. Their coverage is often pre-ordained and about as flat and repetitive as can be imagined. Yet the contract goes to the same crew each year (changing as far as I can tell only the dates in the contract). I'd proposed an approach to shooting and production that would be responsive to the ebb and flow of the competition, and ramp up the audio by bringing in some folks who know a lot about the game and put a little spice in their approach to color commentary. And I would have done it for half the price, making it possible to offer the product at an attractive price. Good price + quality product = more sales, more exposure. I'd like to see dozens of clubs across the country including the Worlds DVD as a player's package item, or as a membership bonus for joining the club. Only possible with decent pricing, however. Not likely under current management. Too bad.

Joe
Joe Wander
Producer and Editor
Disc Golf Live video magazine
www.discgolflive.com
Bringing DG to TV, one community at a time
Disc Golf Live
Tree Magnet

Postby Man_Utenbart » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:12 am

And, Wille (I belive "latitude" on DGR), took second place in mens junior. Congrats!!:D
Man_Utenbart
Tree Magnet

Postby Timko » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:36 am

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for representing DGR!
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby latitude » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:38 am

Man_Utenbart wrote:And, Wille (I belive "latitude" on DGR), took second place in mens junior. Congrats!!:D

Yeah, that's me!, Thanks! :D
latitude
Fairway Surgeon

Previous

Return to Tournaments