Raleigh to DC (VA course recommendations)

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Raleigh to DC (VA course recommendations)

Postby Toomes » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:45 am

Tomorrow I'm going a business trip up to Reston, VA (DC pretty much) and I was going to stop and play some courses on my way up I-95. I might play some courses in or around DC too. My plan currently is try to play Bryan Park in Richmond and Loriella Park. I also might try to play Seneca Creek Park in Maryland since it looks like its only 20-30 minutes from Reston. I'd like to stop and play the Grange, but I'm not sure I'll have time to.

Any other suggestions right off I95 or near DC?
Toomes
Tree Magnet

Re: Raleigh to DC (VA course recommendations)

Postby chiggins » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:53 am

DCC wrote:Any other suggestions right off I95 or near DC?

Rockburn Branch Park in Eldridge is beautiful and challenging, real gem. It's about 30 minutes from the Beltway, not far off 95. Patapsco's a great course too.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby black udder » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:14 am

Bryan Park from the longs/shorts is a good afternoon. Loreilla from the long/shorts is another full afternoon. The Grange (sunny side and dark side) might actually be shorter than either of those courses.

While I believe the Grange is a fantastic place, a lot it is the atmosphere at the VA Open or mothlies, so just going and playing it doesn't capture everything. They're all good courses, but if you had to leave one to come back to, I'd say The Grange would be the one, then come back for a montly or the VA Open. Get the whole experience. It'll be memorable for sure. Much more than just playing a round by yourself or with a few people.

Loreilla is a great course, make sure to play both long and short as it does change many of the holes to something totally new and challenging. If you can only play one set at Bryan, play the Blues/whites. The two water holes have a white marker crossing the pond.

If you're playing just while coming up Tuesday, I suspect you'd have your hands full to play more than Bryan/Loreilla and perhaps 1 other closer to DC/Maryland. :)

Some great courses around though, so have fun!
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Toomes » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:08 am

chiggins wrote:Rockburn Branch Park in Eldridge is beautiful and challenging, real gem. It's about 30 minutes from the Beltway, not far off 95. Patapsco's a great course too.

Rockburn looks nice, but I doubt I'll have enough time to get out there. The problem is I'm going to try to play some courses after work, which means driving in 5 O'clock traffic in DC. No good.

Thanks for the info BU. I'll be leaving Raleigh at around 1 and first stop will be Bryan Park. Is Bryan hard to navigate?

Also, I was looking at DC area courses on dgcoursereview and I decided I might check out Bluemont Park and Giles. Anyone play those courses?
Toomes
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:46 am

DCC wrote:
chiggins wrote:Rockburn Branch Park in Eldridge is beautiful and challenging, real gem. It's about 30 minutes from the Beltway, not far off 95. Patapsco's a great course too.

Rockburn looks nice, but I doubt I'll have enough time to get out there. The problem is I'm going to try to play some courses after work, which means driving in 5 O'clock traffic in DC. No good.

Thanks for the info BU. I'll be leaving Raleigh at around 1 and first stop will be Bryan Park. Is Bryan hard to navigate?

Also, I was looking at DC area courses on dgcoursereview and I decided I might check out Bluemont Park and Giles. Anyone play those courses?

Bryan is fairly easy. Blue and Yellow tees and the baskets have ink on them pointing to the next tee.

I've heard Giles is a monster, a great course but has some thick briers.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby inthedrift » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:07 pm

That avatar is freakin me out man.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby Rickg » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:28 pm

black udder wrote:I've heard Giles is a monster, a great course but has some thick briers.

There were a ton of ticks there last year. I don't know about now.

Rick
Rickg
Tree Magnet

Postby Toomes » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:29 pm

inthedrift wrote:That avatar is freakin me out man.

LOL

I played Bryan Park and Loriella today on the way up to DC.

Bryan was a really nice park. Big mature trees, fairly open, beautiful park. I'd say it's about a par 60, although two or three holes were definitely tweeners. Good stuff.

Loriella had some great holes. Hole 3 and 10 were the best of the bunch. The open holes out there are boooorrriinng though. The grass didn't look like it had been mowed in a month either. I hate searching for a disc in the middle of a field. Good course overall
Toomes
Tree Magnet

Return to Courses