The Temple Of ROC!!!!

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Roc lovers???

Postby Ironhide » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:12 am

Working Stiff wrote:Can I post on a Roc lovers thread if my favorite Roc is the Ontario? Or is this strictly Rancho Roc love?

Don't worry, I don't know what either of those are and I still post here :lol: I bought an x-out and love it. No idea what type of Roc I'm throwing.
My Bag: DX - Aviar Putter - 170g & 175g | DX - Shark - 168g | DX - Roc - 168g & 175g | Pro-D Buzz - 170g | Champion - Leopard - 171g | Star - Teebird(TL) - 171g | DX/Star - Sidewinder - 168g/171g | DX - Beast - 170g
Ironhide
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc & Shark

Postby tumpsi » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:34 am

I can play my home course with just KC Aviars and Rocs, and I do it pretty often too. When I don't do it, I throw a Teebird on the longest hole, Roc's 'n Aviars on the rest :D
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Working Stiff » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:37 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:
Working Stiff wrote:Can I post on a Roc lovers thread if my favorite Roc is the Ontario? Or is this strictly Rancho Roc love?

:wink: Stiff, you can post here even if you still throw Comets
Right now I don't throw anything. I'm drinking coffee through a straw becasue I can't hold up the cup!
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby dgdave » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:52 am

Seriously, does anyone have some 11x Rocs?
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:53 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
sorry to hear it, rest up and get that old man arm back in shape
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Working Stiff » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:58 am

mattw wrote:

I would like to hear what you have to say about the Ontario. I just got 2 dx Ontarios in the mail. I heard that they can be used as a turnover roc until you beat in a rancho. I have not had a chance to try them out yet.
The Ontario is the red-headed step child of the Roc family. They dome up more and don't have as blunt of a nose, so they don't start out as stable. Since I had so many of them I used a newish Ontario for my money Roc and a beat Ontario for my turnover Roc. All I ever used Ranchos for was as an overstable Mid, and when they beat in to be $$$ I'd trade them. So many Roc...so little time!

I guess where I get touchy on the Ontario is the same way I get touchy about the Comet. They are mis-characterized as turnover discs. You CAN turn one over, but they are stable discs out of the box that you can put on any line. If all you can get an Ontario to do is flip, you have some form problems. Since the Rancho Roc is so good at covering up that particular form problem, a lot of Roc guys can't throw the Ontario properly and dismiss it as a turnover disc. It's a better disc than that. It's probably the second-best mid for low power players behind the...can I say it here?
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Working Stiff » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:00 pm

dgdave wrote:Seriously, does anyone have some 11x Rocs?
Seriously, I do! Seriously, you don't want them. If they were the ones you wanted, they seriously would be in my bag!
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby dgdave » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:07 pm

I do want them. The ones with the dimple on top.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby Jsw » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:15 pm

In defense of the Ontario mold. I have a tourney-stamped 180g Ontario Roc, and the thing is straight $$$.

No, I don't have a noodle arm. Yes all my other Rocs are Ranchos. It must be something in the way the tourney-stamp effected the dome or something. The thing is stable, and glides for miles. Thrown flat at 90% it will lock into a straight shot and glide for miles. Thrown flat on a rip it will turnover soooo smoothly you will slap your mama. Thrown with a touch of hyzer it will act just like a fresh Rancho. And its very hard for DX plastic so it hasn't changed a whole lot since the day I got it.

I'm half tempted to ship it to an Ontario-hater and have them try it for themselves. I used to defend the mold in Roc threads but then I realized this is the only Ontario I've thrown, and I've noticed that stamps can effect disc feel/flight after reading threads on here long enough. I've noticed that tourney &/or bottom stamps can make a disc act differently.

I'll have to grab my bag when I'm home and look at the stamp. I think its a "Crosstown Classic" or something in Raleigh, NC. Maybe Dogwood Classic. The stamp is gold and covers like 80% of the disc.

It is seriously the best Roc I've ever had. Super versatile.
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby Working Stiff » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:40 pm

A Tale of Two Rocs: A photo essay, or Bored Guy Killing Time Before Work Taking Low Quality Pictures That Answer Nothing. You decide! :P

The disc on the left is a red rainbow stamped Ontario. The disc on the right is a red rainbow stamped Rancho:

So I got the angle off so they both look domey, but the Rancho is flatter.
ImageImage

And it's hard to see, but the nose on the Rancho is blunter. The Ontario nose just kind of rolls down to the parting line while the Rancho wing comes to a much more abrupt end and then drops down, leaving a very blunt nose.
It's probably easier to see what I'm talking about in the pictures that don't show the difference in the dome than it is in this one. So fire me!

Anyway, the pictures suck but it killed some time.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Working Stiff » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:46 pm

dgdave wrote:I do want them. The ones with the dimple on top.
Mine don't have the dimple.

See, this is part of the down side of what we do here. I have no friggin' clue what to get my Wife for our Anniversary, but I know which 11X KC Rocs a guy in Oklahoma that I'll never meet likes. :roll: Maybe I SHOULD turn off the computer more often.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Timko » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:02 pm

Send me that BB Rancho! It's so sexy in Red.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Timko » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:04 pm

The wing of my Sanny looks more like the Ontario than the Rancho. Even the new Sannys have the blunt nose.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby dgdave » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:09 pm

Working Stiff wrote:
dgdave wrote:I do want them. The ones with the dimple on top.
Mine don't have the dimple.

See, this is part of the down side of what we do here. I have no friggin' clue what to get my Wife for our Anniversary, but I know which 11X KC Rocs a guy in Oklahoma that I'll never meet likes. :roll: Maybe I SHOULD turn off the computer more often.

Its because I'll actually tell you what I want. I'll never say, "I don't know. Just don't get me anything." I want an 03 Champ Roc with the Big Bird stamp, but it has to be the Feathers one that says CE Roc on the stamp. It also has to be 180g, Green with a silver stamp.

See. Its that easy.

(PS- I'd take some Big Bird Ranchos off your hands. Your wife probably wants less discs in your basement for your anniversary. Just let me help you out)
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby mattw » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:12 pm

dgdave wrote: (PS- I'd take some Big Bird Ranchos off your hands. Your wife probably wants less discs in your basement for your anniversary. Just let me help you out)

Now thats on fellow disc golfer looking out for another. I sense no other motive behind this comment what so ever.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment