Why Join the PDGA?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Why Join the PDGA?

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:55 pm

Murdoc Loch wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:You know it's not like all those associations are the only ones for their sport so it's not like they are the "official" association. They are just the biggest and best promoted. Really the problem is that there is no competition against the PDGA therefor they don't need to improve.

WTF?

why would the PDGA need competition? hello? what planet are you from? it's not a fucking walmart, it's not a starbucks... it's not a business... competition is not how you improve a non-profit organization, donating, contributing, paying membership fees, voting, these are the things that will improve the PDGA.

Hehe, those that are PDGA members should check out the article in the most recent magazine about the history of the sport and those that tried to make a new PDGA (I forget exactly what the names and acronyms were at the time). Pretty interesting stuff though.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:57 pm

SkaBob wrote:

From the 1st page of this thread

Ahh yeah, so it is. Missed that somehow.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:00 pm

Murdoc Loch wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:
Murdoc Loch wrote:weather or not you think the PDGA is a toilet, the fact of the matter is, it is our sports official association. Think about ball golf or any other sport for that matter; the PGA, NBA, NFL, NBL, NHL Etc... The People who play those Sports Professionally are apart of their corresponding association/league. what good would it be if michael jordan said "who cares about the NBA, fuck it, it's just basket ball, let's just play for fun, who needs all this NBA bull shit?" what if joe montana said "well i like playing football but i don't see the point of playing for the NFL." If you don't like it than join, campaign, and vote to make a change to sport you love because like it or not the PDGA is our face and we need to be united as disc golfers in the PDGA.

blah blah blah whatever you guys will disagree but the system will always be flawed so just get over it and fucking live with what we have...

You know it's not like all those associations are the only ones for their sport so it's not like they are the "official" association. They are just the biggest and best promoted. Really the problem is that there is no competition against the PDGA therefor they don't need to improve.

WTF?

why would the PDGA need competition? hello? what planet are you from? it's not a fucking walmart, it's not a starbucks... it's not a business... competition is not how you improve a non-profit organization, donating, contributing, paying membership fees, voting, these are the things that will improve the PDGA.

Yes giving money to an organization you don't agree with is the perfect way to reform it.

You do realize that non-profits compete all the time right? It's not like the Red Cross is the only place you can donate to help people in need.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Murdoc Loch » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:15 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:
Murdoc Loch wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:
Murdoc Loch wrote:weather or not you think the PDGA is a toilet, the fact of the matter is, it is our sports official association. Think about ball golf or any other sport for that matter; the PGA, NBA, NFL, NBL, NHL Etc... The People who play those Sports Professionally are apart of their corresponding association/league. what good would it be if michael jordan said "who cares about the NBA, fuck it, it's just basket ball, let's just play for fun, who needs all this NBA bull shit?" what if joe montana said "well i like playing football but i don't see the point of playing for the NFL." If you don't like it than join, campaign, and vote to make a change to sport you love because like it or not the PDGA is our face and we need to be united as disc golfers in the PDGA.

blah blah blah whatever you guys will disagree but the system will always be flawed so just get over it and fucking live with what we have...

You know it's not like all those associations are the only ones for their sport so it's not like they are the "official" association. They are just the biggest and best promoted. Really the problem is that there is no competition against the PDGA therefor they don't need to improve.

WTF?

Yes giving money to an organization you don't agree with is the perfect way to reform it.

You do realize that non-profits compete all the time right? It's not like the Red Cross is the only place you can donate to help people in need.

so go ahead and start your own organization. spend thousands of dollars and devote thousands of hours going against the grain. build your own website and keep track of all of the anti-PDGA members ratings. You can organize your own would championship and see who comes... divide the sport. but guess what the PDGA has the power to approve discs & targets. they also write the rules and the PDGA member vote on what rules need to be changed and what they should be changed to... so you'd have to get your own set of rules and standards. like it or not that won't work... so just let go and work from within instead of being all anarchist about it...
Avair | Roc | Gazelle | EL | TL | VL
Murdoc Loch
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby pointdisc » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:21 pm

Did the AFL & NFL use a different set of rules? Do non-sanctioned events go by different rules or told they can't use the PDGA rules? Competition is what makes others better and it's clear the PDGA has room for improvement.

1st new rule of the DGRDGA: No bears.

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:41 pm

Murdoc Loch wrote:so go ahead and start your own organization. spend thousands of dollars and devote thousands of hours going against the grain. build your own website and keep track of all of the anti-PDGA members ratings. You can organize your own would championship and see who comes... divide the sport. but guess what the PDGA has the power to approve discs & targets. they also write the rules and the PDGA member vote on what rules need to be changed and what they should be changed to... so you'd have to get your own set of rules and standards. like it or not that won't work... so just let go and work from within instead of being all anarchist about it...

The PDGA only has the power to make discs and targets "PDGA legal" that is only important b/c they are the only disc golf sanctioning body. Any other sanctioning body would have it's own tech rules and regulations in place. The same is true for the PDGA rules, they are the rules that govern PDGA events, not all of disc golf. They are the used by default for casual rounds because they are the only set of rules out there. If I wrote my own set of rules and people started agreeing to use those, then mine would be the default.

I don't think you understand that I am Pro competition and not Anti PDGA.

all your raging is just shadow boxing man, tone it down and have a civil discussion.
Frank Delicious

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:47 pm

Murdoc Loch wrote:so go ahead and start your own organization. spend thousands of dollars and devote thousands of hours going against the grain. build your own website and keep track of all of the anti-PDGA members ratings. You can organize your own would championship and see who comes... divide the sport. but guess what the PDGA has the power to approve discs & targets. they also write the rules and the PDGA member vote on what rules need to be changed and what they should be changed to... so you'd have to get your own set of rules and standards. like it or not that won't work... so just let go and work from within instead of being all anarchist about it...

I'm not anti-PDGA, but for the sake of argument, ball golf has the PGA and the USGA. One controls the tournaments, one controls the rules and regulations. I wouldn't mind seeing something similar for disc golf, though having one organization focus on growing the sport.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Murdoc Loch » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:55 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:

The PDGA only has the power to make discs and targets "PDGA legal" that is only important b/c they are the only disc golf sanctioning body. Any other sanctioning body would have it's own tech rules and regulations in place. The same is true for the PDGA rules, they are the rules that govern PDGA events, not all of disc golf. They are the used by default for casual rounds because they are the only set of rules out there. If I wrote my own set of rules and people started agreeing to use those, then mine would be the default.

I don't think you understand that I am Pro competition and not Anti PDGA.

all your raging is just shadow boxing man, tone it down and have a civil discussion.

I don't agree with the way this country is being run. i think that it is a corrupt and flawed system. i think that millions of tax dollars go down the toilet on a regular basis. so should i compete against the government because i disagree with what's happening? how can i? if i want to work i have to pay income taxes if i want to buy something i will be charged sales taxes. i have to follow the law (or the rules) of this country or i will suffer the consequences. i may not like it but thats the way it is. so i could compete (but how could i) or i can accept that i have to make the best of what is and that change can only come about by working with the system and not against it.
Murdoc Loch
Tree Magnet

Postby chiggins » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:00 pm

Murdoc Loch wrote:I don't agree with the way this country is being run. i think that it is a corrupt and flawed system. i think that millions of tax dollars go down the toilet on a regular basis. so should i compete against the government because i disagree with what's happening? how can i? if i want to work i have to pay income taxes if i want to buy something i will be charged sales taxes. i have to follow the law (or the rules) of this country or i will suffer the consequences. i may not like it but thats the way it is. so i could compete (but how could i) or i can accept that i have to make the best of what is and that change can only come about by working with the system and not against it.

:shock:
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby pointdisc » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:16 pm

Murdoc Loch wrote:Blah blah blah completely blown out of proportion

You could just move to Canada, eh?

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby Murdoc Loch » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:20 pm

pointdisc wrote:
Murdoc Loch wrote:Blah blah blah completely blown out of proportion

You could just move to Canada, eh?

pd

that's funny...
Murdoc Loch
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:30 pm

chiggins wrote:
Murdoc Loch wrote:I don't agree with the way this country is being run. i think that it is a corrupt and flawed system. i think that millions of tax dollars go down the toilet on a regular basis. so should i compete against the government because i disagree with what's happening? how can i? if i want to work i have to pay income taxes if i want to buy something i will be charged sales taxes. i have to follow the law (or the rules) of this country or i will suffer the consequences. i may not like it but thats the way it is. so i could compete (but how could i) or i can accept that i have to make the best of what is and that change can only come about by working with the system and not against it.

:shock:

uh.. ya... :shock: :shock:
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby mattw » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:58 pm

I have not joined the PDGA. This weekend will be my first tournament. If I have a good time and think I will play more in the future then I will join. If you play in five or six tournaments as an am it pays for itself with the non member fee. I did listen to the PDGA radio show and they went over the results in voteing for the board. I believe they said only 20% of members voted. and thier are only 2 new members on the board. If people want change dont they need to vote in some new people to call the shots. Its like anything else that you vote for. If you disagree with the way things are being done try and find someone to vote for that shares your views. But most importantly take the time to vote. Just my two cents.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:23 pm

So uh wow.

I'm going to need you to explain how competition is bad without going on an anti-government rant.
Frank Delicious

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:42 pm

bawwwwww, luckily im not the Joe Montana of DG, I dont feel like they offer enough to deserve my money so my way of living with what we have will be not joining until they get their shit a bit more together
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion