innova roadrunner

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

innova roadrunner

Postby Smyith » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:51 am

i have heard that these are pretty easy to roll. i was wondering if this is true?
the person above mentioned the convex rim makes it easier.

i have a #1 roller now and i cant roll it at all (has a tendancey to do perfect 200' S-curves). my friend who is great at rolling discs tells me that my form is right but i still cant get it to roll.
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:41 am

They are really good rollers, I just can't justify carrying a dedicated roller. Instead, I'll roll my beat up x avenger. Also, I have a ace race disc (slipstream gt) that is rolling very well for me: good combo of distance and predictability.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:55 am

Ive heard from reliable sources (blake) that the roadrunner is a suprisingly good roller (its rare to hear blake say that any champ/z plastic is suprisingly good), and that it finishes very straight for a roller (im geussing due to the convex rim), which is hard to get a disc to do.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Weebl » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:57 pm

The roadrunner is a great roller, I have one at 169 grams and I can't release it flat and have it roll (400' power), it just turns over and burns to the left (RHBH) 50' and settle. If I release it with about 25 degrees of annie though, it will fly 150' and roll another 300 in a fairly straight line. As of now I still prefer my beat-to-hell stingray (Still waiting on that factor 5 stingray... /drool), release it with 20 degrees of hyzer, flips to flat and turns over to roll at about 200' and a predictable 250'-300' roll after it. The stingray requires some room to fly/roll that distance though, so once I am more comfortable with rollers, i might consider having a roadrunner for the shots with less fairway to work with.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Smyith » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:14 pm

so i take it that a lighter weight would be better for rolling then a heavier
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby Weebl » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:29 am

I like rolling heavier discs (I get more controlable D) but for the roadrunner, I would go lighter, around <165 but also realise you most likely wont be able to roll this disc unless you release it with a good deal of anhyzer.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:26 pm

I perfer throwing my rollers with annie, Ive used beat stingrays and have tried some others, but i perfer sidewinders or dx valks, they both require a bit of annie, but for me ive found this to be much more consistant and controlable.

Edit: and i believe longer because when you throw with annie the disc hits the ground with more momentum and will roll further (I know that throwing a hyzerflip roller with the stingray could possibly give you more airtime than throwing an annie roller, but its possible to get an annie to hit as late as a hyzerflip)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Weebl » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:21 am

The problem for me is once i get close to the distance I want to roll (when throwing annie) the disc starts to fade, loses momentum and will only roll 75'-100', for me i want my rollers to hit before they even start fading.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:14 am

i think the thing that people have the biggest problem about when learning how to throw a roller is that 95% of the time, you have to force the disc to roll.

the mechanics of a roller are not the same as most other throws. even with a very understable disc, you cannot simply throw it like a standard backhand and expect it to turn and roll consistently.

there's 2 flavors of rollers, each with its own set of mechanics.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Equipment