Plaing with 2 discs

Sets of drills targeted at developing a full skill sets of shots and mastery of flight characteristics. Players taking part are encouraged to post their experiences and feedback.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Plaing with 2 discs

Postby Triplebogey » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:33 pm

I played the course in Wrightwood,Ca this last weekend, and I tried to play the whole course with just a Teebird and a Banger GT. I had good luck with most shots except headwinds. My Teebird (175g Star) just is a bit too flippy to handle anything over a 10 mph headwind.

Is it futile to try to play with 2 discs in the wind?? Or am I still dealing with OAT issues??
My trades

I suck at Disc Golf, therefore I can't afford to carry discs that suck.
Triplebogey
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 150 Class Aero

Postby Eric O » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:00 am

I play 2 disc rounds at my home course every now and then. It's often windy, so I take a putter and whatever I'm using for a moderately overstable driver. More wind = more hyzer release. I don't throw Teebirds much but I would expect a max wt star Teebird to handle winds up to 15mph at least. Unless you release it with anny.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby masterbeato » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:06 pm

Teebirds are not very good into the wind. You do learn good control skills practicing this way, it would make a predator,crush,orion LF etc... so much more easier to throw.

My favorite 2-disc combo is an orion LF and my putter throwing the orion on every drive on ever hole no matter how short. It teaches you soo much about control, and course management. Disc skills! Try it once.
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Fritz » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:03 pm

masterbeato wrote:Teebirds are not very good into the wind. You do learn good control skills practicing this way, it would make a predator,crush,orion LF etc... so much more easier to throw.

My favorite 2-disc combo is an orion LF and my putter throwing the orion on every drive on ever hole no matter how short. It teaches you soo much about control, and course management. Disc skills! Try it once.

^^ Exactly. I can easily play a round with my OLF and a Q-mega.

Hell, for 3 months straight I played with just my Q-mega to get my form back in check. I noticed I was getting lazy with my form, so all I played with was the Q-mega and my form is back.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Re: Plaing with 2 discs

Postby mickas » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:25 pm

i've played a full round with a banger gt, hell of a time lol, but when i go with two discs its normally a wizard and teebird or a wizard and rogue
Destroyers | Predators | Eagles | Buzzz | Comets | Magnets

trades: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22441
mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby Craig Smolin » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:04 am

going to play a round this week with a worn Star TL, newish ESP Meteor, and newish Soft Wizard ...

I think the key to playing rounds with just two or three discs is to use understable discs and make them do exactly what you want them to do by controlling release angles, nose angles, and power (combo of arm speed and snap).
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby djfunkywill » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:19 pm

I've been playing with a Roc mid-range and an Aviar putter, primarily because I only have three discs and I'm pretty terrible with the T-Bird (can't control the fade to the left.) The place where I play is very wooded so there isn't much need for long drives. I'm getting better each round and having plenty of fun. I wish I had found this sport sooner.

-Will
djfunkywill
Noob

Favorite Disc: Aviar

Postby cjskier » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:32 pm

When I play 2 disc, I also use a Banger-gt. What plastic do you use? I like soft for putting, but it cant stand up to the abuse for anything else. So I have been using an esp Banger for approaches.

The second disc I carry is either an Orc or a RoadRunner, depending on how I feel like driving that day.
don't pretend you care what discs I throw
cjskier
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: beat ass banger GT

Postby Steady 26542 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:44 pm

djfunkywill wrote:I wish I had found this sport sooner.

You and me both... I've been playing for 6 years and I just turned 55. :oops:
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby elnino » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:23 am

did this with a firebird and a putter on a short nine hole course and towards the end my roommate just commented you are just throwing lawn darts right at the baskets!!! so it really did help my short game quite a bit
Positive feedback 56 Trade
Destroyer=Firebird=Striker=Roc=Wizard
elnino
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird/wizard

Postby Timko » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:27 am

I played Glow last night with nothing but a S PD. I threw it both backhand (RH) and forehand (LH), and had a lot of fun.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby cjskier » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:32 pm

Furthur wrote:I played Glow last night with nothing but a S PD. I threw it both backhand (RH) and forehand (LH), and had a lot of fun.

Last week my buddy an I played night disc, but neither of us have glow discs. We just grabbed one of the random putters that sit in my basket for anyone to practice(or have for that matter) in all white. I threw an Innova Birdie, which I had never thrown before and my buddy a Magnet. We just used the light from the full moon, no glow. Was fun, and we both came home with the disc.

A side note it was 15 degrees F, coldest I have ever played in and it did not even effect me. Played in a full down winter jacket, lol.

BTW a Birdie is crazy under stable when thrown hard. Was fun to play with, never thrown an under stable putter before.
don't pretend you care what discs I throw
cjskier
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: beat ass banger GT

Postby wdb4th » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:06 pm

Furthur wrote:I played Glow last night with nothing but a S PD. I threw it both backhand (RH) and forehand (LH), and had a lot of fun.

Same flight?

There was a guy I played ultimate with in college that did this. It was eash to guard him, same side of the body.
Throw Quest AT!

Bullard Disc Golf Design
wdb4th
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beat Proto Magic

Postby Sean40474 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:18 pm

Steady 26542 wrote:
djfunkywill wrote:I wish I had found this sport sooner.

You and me both... I've been playing for 6 years and I just turned 55. :oops:

I would have been happy to have found this sport in my teen years at least...but being born with a disc in hand would have been nice too :P
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby AciDBatH666 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:27 pm

Timko wrote:I played Glow last night with nothing but a S PD. I threw it both backhand (RH) and forehand (LH), and had a lot of fun.

I was gonna say the same thing. Switch that Teebird up with a PD and you'll be set.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Next

Return to Disc Golf Review Training Assignments