How does Doubles worK?

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

How does Doubles worK?

Postby Midnightbiker » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:50 pm

I have heard alot of talk about playing doubles. Hows does that work?
Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Re: How does Doubles worK?

Postby AciDBatH666 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:04 pm

You play as a team and take the best lie.
I.E. you and your partner are playing against 2 other ppl as a team. You 2 tee off.. And you pick the better lie out of both of your throws. Then you both throw from there and take the best lie... Etc...etc....

There are 666 Tournaments that can get rough. You play 6 holes as singles (You each play your own lie and the best score goes on the card), 2nd set of 6 holes is alternating shots (I drive, you approach, I putt... You drive, I putt and miss, you make the putt, ..yada yada...) and the 3rd set is Worst shot (Both throw, worst lie is the one you take)
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:48 pm

Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby KISSOLOGY » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:38 am

Question about scoring. Is it a 'group score' or 'individual score.' That is, lets say you tee off, then from the next lie do you both have 1 stroke together, 2 strokes together, or 1 stroke individually?
KISSOLOGY
Noob

Favorite Disc: yourmom

Postby JimW » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:38 am

Group score. You and your partner are basically playing as a single entity.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby Solty » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:55 pm

what about tough shot...vs worst shot....
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby ChUcK » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:02 am

In tough shot only one member must hole out to complete the hole. In worst shot, both players have to make the putt.

What I want to know is, if you were playing a doubles tourney with some worst shot holes, would an ace cash in on the acepot?
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby KISSOLOGY » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:56 am

These rules for doubles play have been approved by the PDGA Rules Committee.

Doubles play comes in a variety of formats. Best Shot, Best Disc (aka Best Score), Alternate Shot, Worst Shot, and Tough Shot are described below. Except where noted, PDGA rules apply.

One oddity about doubles formats with regard to the rules is that a team may often disregard a player's shot (or score, in Best Disc), giving that player a good deal of theoretical leeway as far as rules are concerned. As always, any attempt to circumvent the rules in order to gain competitive advantage is subject to action up to and including disqualification. In most cases, a warning or penalty throw incurred by a player shall apply to that player only; for example, if player A throws a drive out-of-bounds in Best Shot and the team elects to play player A's drive, the team is then lying two at player A's lie. Warnings and penalty throws for the following violations shall apply to the team as a whole: courtesy, practice throw, interference, late scorecard, and incorrect scorecard. All other warnings and penalty throws shall apply to the offending player only. Any call that requires confirmation must be confirmed by players on other
teams.

In the Best Shot, Tough Shot, and Best Disc formats, you do not throw if it is mathematically impossible for you to improve your team's score on a hole. In the Best Shot and Tough Shot formats, the second player does not throw if the first player has holed out. If you are playing Best Disc format and your partner has holed out, you do not throw unless you can improve on your
partner's score. Any throw made which cannot possibly improve a team's score on a hole is a practice throw.

The formats described below may be extended beyond doubles (to triples,etc) if desired.

Best Shot
Best Shot is by far the most popular doubles format. Both players throw from each lie (starting with the tee shot), then the team chooses which of the resulting lies to continue play from, until the hole is completed.

* A team may take a reasonable amount of time to pick which lie they want before the 30-second play clock starts.
* A lie that is picked up without being marked is gone forever; the team must throw from the other lie. If the second lie is picked up, it must be replaced in accordance with PDGA rules. All lies must be marked according to PDGA rules.
* If the first player throws from the wrong lie, the second player may still throw from the correct lie.
* In case of injury or disqualification, one partner may play alone, throwing one shot at each lie (essentially playing singles).

Worst Shot
Worst Shot is the most brutal of the doubles formats, and can test the patience of even the best teams. In Worst Shot, both players throw from each lie (starting with the tee shot), then the competing teams in the group choose which of the subsequent lies will be used, with the aim of making the hole as difficult as possible. The hole is completed once both team members have holed out from the same lie.

* The 30-second play clock begins once the opposing teams have selected the lie.
* A lie that is picked up without being marked must be replaced in accordance with PDGA rules. All lies must be marked according to PDGA rules.
* Any warning or penalty incurred by a player may be chosen to apply to the team, at the opposing teams' discretion.
* A team found to be giving an opposing team a better lie will be disqualified for unsportsmanlike behavior.

Tough Shot
Tough Shot is the same as Worst Shot, with the following variation: once a player on the team has holed out, the team has completed the hole.

Alternate Shot
In Alternate Shot, only one sequence of throws is made on each hole.
The team selects a player to throw the tee shot at the beginning of the round. The other player then throws from the subsequent lie, and play alternates in that fashion until the round is completed. Alternate Shot is closer to a singles format, where one partner can't bail the other out. If you miss a short putt, chances are good that you'll be driving the next hole.

* If the wrong player on a team throws, another team must call it immediately, like a foot fault. The team receives a warning, and the correct player throws. Subsequent violations incur a one-throw penalty.
* For any violation that requires a rethrow (stance violation, provisional throw), the same player throws.

Best Disc (Best Score)
In Best Disc (also known as Best Score), each player plays the hole as they would while playing singles; there are no shared lies. The team score is the best score on the hole by one of its players.

* The player who is away will always throw first, with this exception: If both players are lying the same number of throws, the team may choose which player throws first.
* A player must pick up once it is impossible for him to better the team's score. The team incurs a warning for the first violation, and a penalty throw for subsequent violations.
* In case of injury or disqualification, one partner may play alone.
KISSOLOGY
Noob

Postby KISSOLOGY » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:01 am

Are there any other alternate games and rules to spice things up? I have a group of about 4 friends but we often don't get all 4 of us out at once. Especially with college starting up.
KISSOLOGY
Noob

Postby ChUcK » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:45 am

Search for Wolf rules, it's a great game for any number of people to play.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby KISSOLOGY » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:56 pm

ChUcK wrote:Search for Wolf rules, it's a great game for any number of people to play.

Protip: Searching with keywords involving 'disc' 'golf' and 'wolf' returns a lot of innova disc and not really what you want.
KISSOLOGY
Noob

Postby Sopuli » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:26 pm

KISSOLOGY wrote:
ChUcK wrote:Search for Wolf rules, it's a great game for any number of people to play.

Protip: Searching with keywords involving 'disc' 'golf' and 'wolf' returns a lot of innova disc and not really what you want.

:lol: I followed this protip and managed to find this page, not sure if it explains it well, but here's the link anyways:

http://www.saltatoria.com/dbell/discgolf/games.html
Sopuli
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Ch. Valkyrie

Postby SkaBob » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:35 pm

For Wolf, each person gets a number to establish the initial order. No matter who wins the hole, who follows who is always the same (you'll always be after the same person and before the same person).

Each hole, you shift up one person for who has the tee-pad. So if I'm #1 and Climo's #2 (:lol:), I'm first on the pad on the first hole, and he's first on the pad on the second, and so on through the whole group. Once the whole group has been first on the pad, you're back to the starting order and just continue the rotation the same way.

Each hole, the person first on the pad is the person who gets to call Wolf.

You call Wolf when you see the shot you want to be your partner, be it someone else's, or your own. If you don't call Wolf after the last player throws, you have no partner.

Once a partner is picked for that hole, it's everyone vs. those two people (or that one in case you call Wolf on your own shot, or don't call Wolf).

From there it's a normal skins game. If you want to play with carry-over, you can. If not, don't. I've always had more fun playing any skins game with carry-over.

Some people say that if you call Wolf on yourself, or don't call Wolf and end up playing the hole solo, that you get an extra skin if you win the hole. Take your pick on that, too.

Wolf is a great game if you have an odd number of people, and nobody wants to play Cali in a doubles round. For those that don't know, the Cali player is solo (the odd-man-out), and gets one extra shot per hole. Not one mulligan - they don't forfeit their first shot if they take it (so you can't wreck being parked with a botched ace run on your second shot).
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Roy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:51 pm

SkaBob wrote:For Wolf, each person gets a number to establish the initial order. No matter who wins the hole, who follows who is always the same (you'll always be after the same person and before the same person).

Each hole, you shift up one person for who has the tee-pad. So if I'm #1 and Climo's #2 (:lol:), I'm first on the pad on the first hole, and he's first on the pad on the second, and so on through the whole group. Once the whole group has been first on the pad, you're back to the starting order and just continue the rotation the same way.

Each hole, the person first on the pad is the person who gets to call Wolf.

You call Wolf when you see the shot you want to be your partner, be it someone else's, or your own. If you don't call Wolf after the last player throws, you have no partner.

Once a partner is picked for that hole, it's everyone vs. those two people (or that one in case you call Wolf on your own shot, or don't call Wolf).

From there it's a normal skins game. If you want to play with carry-over, you can. If not, don't. I've always had more fun playing any skins game with carry-over.

Some people say that if you call Wolf on yourself, or don't call Wolf and end up playing the hole solo, that you get an extra skin if you win the hole. Take your pick on that, too.

Wolf is a great game if you have an odd number of people, and nobody wants to play Cali in a doubles round. For those that don't know, the Cali player is solo (the odd-man-out), and gets one extra shot per hole. Not one mulligan - they don't forfeit their first shot if they take it (so you can't wreck being parked with a botched ace run on your second shot).

Wait, does the wolf get to see all the throws and then decide or does he have to decide immediatly after the specific throw?

How do you keep score? Does each member get a skin when that team wins a hole and highest total wins? do you mean like carry over like in the event a hole is tied, the next hole is worth 2 skins?

Sounds pretty fun.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby reallybadputter » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:14 pm

Skabob's description of Wolf is slightly off from how I've always played it:

If you want to go without a partner you have to call it before the next player throws. If you never call a partner, the last thrower is your partner.

Since we play that you get double if you play by yourself and win you need to make the call to play as a lone wolf before anyone else throws...

That way if you park your drive, you have to decide... should I go wolf and risk someone else parking it and getting a push, or should I shop for a partner to try and grab the one guy who might also park it?
99% of the putts that you leave short never go in.
The other 1% never had a chance.
reallybadputter
Noob

Next

Return to Rules Discussion