So what are your top 10 courses?

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: So what are your top 10 courses?

Postby bigrocc01 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:30 pm

My Top Ten

1- De Laveaga/ Santa Cruz, CA...Enough Said
2- Pickard/ Indiola, IA...Still playing there in my dreams
3- Hart Park/Bakersfield, CA...2 New Courses/ Each course is unique!
4- Ewing Park/Des Moines, IA...Reason enough to visit Iowa
5- Coyote Point/Ventura, CA...Visit here often/And never enough
6- La Mirada/Los Angeles, CA...You've heared it before and will here it again
7- Waller Pines/Santa Maria, CA...Won my 1st ever PDGA event here as an AM2 5 yrs ago
8- Lakewood/Seattle,WA...Only course I've seen 3 Bald eagles on
9- Veterans Park/Sylmar, CA...On list because of the additional temp course duing PDGA events
10- Moony Grove/Visalia,Ca... 2 courses and an A Tier event

Yes, I play in Cali (central) and from my experience these are my Favorites. I need to play some more NorCal because of Stafford,Navato, etc
I will be playing at the Worlds. I'm sure after playing the courses there I'll be manipulating my list :)
bigrocc01
Noob
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:32 pm
Location: Bako,Ca
Favorite Disc: Flick

Re: So what are your top 10 courses?

Postby Triplebogey » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:31 am

I'm impressed by the fact that when people mention Southern California courses, that Waller Park gets so many votes. 8)
My trades

I suck at Disc Golf, therefore I can't afford to carry discs that suck.
Triplebogey
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Barbara Co.,Ca
Favorite Disc: 150 Class Aero

Re: So what are your top 10 courses?

Postby Murdoc Loch » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:43 pm

1. Pier Park, Portland OR
2. Milo McIver, Estacada OR
3. Whistlers Bend, Roseberg OR
4. Condon Park, Grass Valley CA
5. Golden Gate Park, San Francisco CA
6. De Laveaga, Santa Cruz CA
7. Stafford Lake, Novato CA
8. Low Gap, Ukiah CA
9. Western Gateway Park, Penn Valley CA
10. Willamette Park, Corvallis OR
Avair | Roc | Gazelle | EL | TL | VL
Murdoc Loch
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 1:54 pm
Location: Portland
Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: So what are your top 10 courses?

Postby juju » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:04 am

In no particular order...

Pickard - IA
Blue Ribbon Pines - MN
Toboggan - MI
Vallarta Ast - WI
Giants Ridge - MN
Ewing - IA
Blueberry - WI

and probably...
Moraine - PA
Renny Gold - NC
De Laveaga - CA
juju
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 768
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:15 pm
Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

Re: So what are your top 10 courses?

Postby Timko » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:21 am

All you people that listed all of the Iowa Courses...does no one ever play in Eastern Iowa? I'm not saying that Des Moines' courses aren't spectacular, but there are some great ones in the east part of Iowa (West Lake in the QCs is probably one of the most balanced courses I've ever played).
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth
User avatar
 
Posts: 7708
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: KCMO

Re: So what are your top 10 courses?

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:36 pm

West Lake is essentially unplayable for rec play in max mode and could benefit from some design tweaks.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1652
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:42 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Re: So what are your top 10 courses?

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:02 pm

1- Warwick, NY
2- Milo McIver, OR
3- The Woodshed (PAW PAW), WV
4- The Whippin' Post (PAW PAW), WV
5- Maple Hill, MA
6- Patapsco Valley State Park , MD
7- Pier Park, OR
8- Moraine State Park, PA
9- Heros, CT
10- Druid Hill, MD

A little bit of a jacked up list... I'm running out of the office. Not exactly ranked from highest to lowest and as far as quality of courses go, Druid really shouldn't be included. I just love how it's right smack in the middle of Charm City and has 27 holes.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler
User avatar
 
Posts: 2586
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:18 pm
Location: Charm City
Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Re: So what are your top 10 courses?

Postby JHern » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:10 pm

Murdoc Loch wrote:1. Pier Park, Portland OR
...
6. De Laveaga, Santa Cruz CA
...


It is interesting to see this...I've played just about all the courses you list, and just played Pier Park for the first time yesterday. These are all wonderful courses and I applaud your top ten. After discussing it on the course and going through all our memories we could definitely say without any reservations that DeLaveaga was a better course than Pier Park. Pier Park is gorgeous and fantastic, but somewhat too monotonous to be able to compete with DeLa's pure variety, mixture of challenges, higher risk/benefit ratios, punishment for bad throws, better landscape/topography, and more mature disc golf culture. In other words, it seems to beat out Pier Park in just about every category. I think the biggest difference is that Pier Park simply lacks teeth...it has no psychological elements and the fear of losing a disc is completely absent, which for me means that it can't make it into the top 3.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!
User avatar
 
Posts: 2621
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:50 am
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: So what are your top 10 courses?

Postby Murdoc Loch » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:43 pm

JHern wrote:
Murdoc Loch wrote:1. Pier Park, Portland OR
...
6. De Laveaga, Santa Cruz CA
...


It is interesting to see this...I've played just about all the courses you list, and just played Pier Park for the first time yesterday. These are all wonderful courses and I applaud your top ten. After discussing it on the course and going through all our memories we could definitely say without any reservations that DeLaveaga was a better course than Pier Park. Pier Park is gorgeous and fantastic, but somewhat too monotonous to be able to compete with DeLa's pure variety, mixture of challenges, higher risk/benefit ratios, punishment for bad throws, better landscape/topography, and more mature disc golf culture. In other words, it seems to beat out Pier Park in just about every category. I think the biggest difference is that Pier Park simply lacks teeth...it has no psychological elements and the fear of losing a disc is completely absent, which for me means that it can't make it into the top 3.


Well, this is why no two people are the same. It's called being an individual. I'm sure we throw different discs, drive different cars and listen to different music. We might agree on somethings sure, but the things you care about in a disc golf course are clearly different from me. For instance: De Laveaga is filthy, it's crowed, it has less shade, the holes cross over each other, it has less technical/finesse shots, many of the holes have short and/or not flat teeboxes, i hate the terrain/trees/plants/dirt/rocks/etc, the road to the parking lot goes threw the course.

All that being said it is still on my top ten, i don't hate the course, but i do hate that it's on my list... De Laveaga is overrated in my opinion.
Avair | Roc | Gazelle | EL | TL | VL
Murdoc Loch
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 1:54 pm
Location: Portland
Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: So what are your top 10 courses?

Postby Yehosha » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:17 am

Murdoc Loch wrote:
JHern wrote:
Murdoc Loch wrote:1. Pier Park, Portland OR
...
6. De Laveaga, Santa Cruz CA
...


It is interesting to see this...I've played just about all the courses you list, and just played Pier Park for the first time yesterday. These are all wonderful courses and I applaud your top ten. After discussing it on the course and going through all our memories we could definitely say without any reservations that DeLaveaga was a better course than Pier Park. Pier Park is gorgeous and fantastic, but somewhat too monotonous to be able to compete with DeLa's pure variety, mixture of challenges, higher risk/benefit ratios, punishment for bad throws, better landscape/topography, and more mature disc golf culture. In other words, it seems to beat out Pier Park in just about every category. I think the biggest difference is that Pier Park simply lacks teeth...it has no psychological elements and the fear of losing a disc is completely absent, which for me means that it can't make it into the top 3.


Well, this is why no two people are the same. It's called being an individual. I'm sure we throw different discs, drive different cars and listen to different music. We might agree on somethings sure, but the things you care about in a disc golf course are clearly different from me. For instance: De Laveaga is filthy, it's crowed, it has less shade, the holes cross over each other, it has less technical/finesse shots, many of the holes have short and/or not flat teeboxes, i hate the terrain/trees/plants/dirt/rocks/etc, the road to the parking lot goes threw the course.

All that being said it is still on my top ten, i don't hate the course, but i do hate that it's on my list... De Laveaga is overrated in my opinion.
About time someone else said that...De Laveaga is definitely overrated for exactly those reasons you gave. Everytime I say that to someone they look at me like I'm crazy. It's a decent course, but not the Mecca of disc golf like too many make it out to be.
Katana, Doss Surge, Z Surge SS, Avenger SS, Stalker, Buzzz, Ion
Yehosha
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:11 pm
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Favorite Disc: Ion

So what are your top 10 courses

Postby VeiplyWeigill » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:38 am

Hi guys,
I also like a rock or metal music among my favourite are
Carcass - No Love Lost
Pantera - Revolution Is My Name
Machine Head - Aesthetics Of Hate
Thank for sharing this view,
VeiplyWeigill
Noob
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:27 am
Favorite Disc: CounterStrike

Re: So what are your top 10 courses?

Postby JHern » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:41 am

Yehosha wrote:
Murdoc Loch wrote:
JHern wrote:
Murdoc Loch wrote:1. Pier Park, Portland OR
...
6. De Laveaga, Santa Cruz CA
...


It is interesting to see this...we could definitely say without any reservations that DeLaveaga was a better course than Pier Park...


Well, this is why no two people are the same. It's called being an individual. I'm sure we throw different discs, drive different cars and listen to different music. We might agree on somethings sure, but the things you care about in a disc golf course are clearly different from me. For instance: De Laveaga is filthy, it's crowed, it has less shade, the holes cross over each other, it has less technical/finesse shots, many of the holes have short and/or not flat teeboxes, i hate the terrain/trees/plants/dirt/rocks/etc, the road to the parking lot goes threw the course.

All that being said it is still on my top ten, i don't hate the course, but i do hate that it's on my list... De Laveaga is overrated in my opinion.
About time someone else said that...De Laveaga is definitely overrated for exactly those reasons you gave. Everytime I say that to someone they look at me like I'm crazy. It's a decent course, but not the Mecca of disc golf like too many make it out to be.


Well, I still disagree, and as you say, whatever floats one's boat. Pier Park is my brother's home course, and he is similarly infatuated with it. I do like it (even thought about buying a cheap house around there as a disc golf time share). But I've taken him to more of California's best courses, and he complains about the wind (none at Pier Park), rocks (none at Pier Park), topography (very little at Pier Park), the sun (none at Pier Park), the challenge of throwing into tight and smaller vegetation (none at Pier Park), etc.. I'm completely different, and for me it is all about variety. I'd love 2-3 holes on any course that exhibited the best elements of Pier Park, but no more than that. The rest are the same.

To the criticisms of DeLa...

-Crossing fairways? Sheesh, who cares? There are 2 at DeLa, and they aren't a big deal. Are you that distracted that other people are throwing plastic in other directions in your vicinity? When you drive a car down the highway do you curse the fact that all other cars don't pull over and let you through?

-Filthy? Really? Did somebody take a crap on the tee pad ahead of your group or something? This park is kept immaculate and spotless, in my experience. Lots of TLC by the locals. And if you saw trash and didn't pick it up, then shame on you.

-The road is my biggest complaint about DeLa, and that's where we agree completely. I hate all those rich bastards driving to and fro to their mansions in the hills. I wish they didn't exist. That's why DeLa can never be a perfect 10 in my mind.

DeLa is not at all over-rated. Lots of people don't like the challenge and variety, I guess (maybe they would prefer being coddled at ball golf courses, driving around in carts?), but every pro that plays there each year in the Steady Ed Memorial loves it. I watched Ken Climo rub the Mother tree's vagina vigorously for the good part of a minute in deference. Here is what Climo says about DeLa on his website: "Okay sports fans, here is your dream course. Awesome views, serious elevation change, danger everywhere. DeLaveaga will work you hard for 27 holes while not once allowing you to drop your guard. The fairways are dangerous. The greens are dangerous. The entire place is loaded with pitfalls, yet there is hardly a more fun place to play golf on the planet. This park just brings a challenge to the table that most players cannot answer."

There are so many shots and kinds of holes there that you'll never find at other courses, or maybe only one or two if you're lucky. There are also so many important cultural wonders and heritage for disc golf, and special people who have been involved in that course's development and history, that few other courses even come close. It is truly a pleasure to behold, and take part in. I'm glad I get to go there numerous times each year.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!
User avatar
 
Posts: 2621
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:50 am
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Favorite Disc: Clutch

Previous

Return to Courses

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest