Discraft Banger GT

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:01 pm

I have a question for people who have been throwing the banger.

Ive been throwing a couple for a few months now and they are great for long putts, and i was loving them for short putts. There are two courses in my town, with two basket types, innova with the double chains, and innova with single chains. Ive been noticing alot more spits and blow throughs as my bangers wear. I have had soft minimal spin puts from 15' hit chains on one side, push them out of the way, and come out the other side untouched. It even breaks through double chain baskets at low speed. At high speed they tend to stick better.

Is anyone having similar results with this putter or any others? Im considering switching back to the wizard so I can have a soft one for putting and a hard one for driving. I perfer the shallower rim of the banger, and it flies off the tee as well as the wizard, and I believe its even better for long putts (although I havent tried the E Wizard, Medium or Supersoft)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

banger

Postby twmccoy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:36 pm

I've given it a try and I think I like putting with my spider better. You're right, the banger likes to try to slide through the chains. I did hit one incredible 150' birdie with it though. Last time I played it was so windy I had to putt with my buzz. The banger was useless.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:02 pm

It does appear that the banger gt does not hold as well as the wizard. I have a proto black wizard. DOes anyone know if there was something about it that made it more durable than other low end plastic?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:08 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:It does appear that the banger gt does not hold as well as the wizard. I have a proto black wizard. DOes anyone know if there was something about it that made it more durable than other low end plastic?

I find that S plastic in general is more durable than the other low end plastics.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:24 pm

Tw, what did you do at winterwarriors at Edora on the putter only hole, you were just putting your spider then, your group let you play it? (if they did i hope you double birded it)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

putter hole

Postby twmccoy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:06 pm

Actually I borrowed a wizard from someone for that hole. We parred it. I got my banger at Wright Life after that round. I traded in $316 worth of used discs.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:07 am

thats a bit, but if anyone has that much old plastic it would be you (although you will have a little more competition for those expo discs this summer)
They arent taking as much on trade ins as they used to, they would only give me 50$ that weekend for a stack i brought in. Unless dx/d plastic was flawless they would only give me 5$ for barely thrown z/champ stuff. oh well, should probably take my names of some of em before i take em in next time.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

banger in Z

Postby twmccoy » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:56 pm

Anyone know if discraft will release the banger in Z plastic? Mine is already looking trashed after like 3 rounds. I like the disc but I know mine won't last very long.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:31 pm

Really I would perfer a softer plastic. X or the same plastic as a soft challenger. They wouldnt beat up as fast. I think Z may be too overstable for my putting tastes (and its putts that are beating up my bangers, like hitting the sharp top on a disc catcher)

I noticed that the banger (mines in black so its probably exaggorated) gets a bit softer in the sun. Its been a bit chilly (not to mention snow last night). However it was afully sunny out the other day and my putters got a bit softer than I was used to. This cured the blowthrough/spit problem Ive been having with my bangers nearly 100%. I think they were a bit dusty and firm.

All in all I think a softer Banger is what I need (that or to switch back to wizards)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:40 am

nice thing with putters is that even though they looko beat, they don't change much until much later.

i remember my first wizards looked very beat after 2 weeks. after 2 years they looked about the same and were just as stable as they were at 2 weeks.

now they are at 5 years, look slightly more beat than they were at 2 years and fly nearly as stable as they did at 2 years.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Pagan » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:24 am

I'd love to see the banger gt in elite x like the putt'r. I do have a putt'r in elite x and z plastics. Wish the banger gt was also available in z and x.

I've found that I switch back and forth between the banger and putt'r depending on the situation. For example: when it's a far putt or into the wind I use the banger gt. For shorter putts or downwind I use the putt'r. I've found the banger likes to glide further than the putt'r and I can use it for approaches too. The putt'r has more of a "drop like a rock" trait that also has it's uses.

Just my $0.02
Pagan
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Previous

Return to Equipment