This could prove interesting

A place to post or request tournament information.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

This could prove interesting

Postby Timko » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:38 am

http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results?TournID=8865

Look who finished 2nd behind King Mullet. The man hasn't played a round of competitive golf in 5-6 year, and he's shooting 1040 rated rounds.

Since he's a world champ, he also has a lifetime exemption to the USDGC. Now wouldn't THAT be something to see...
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Re: This could prove interesting

Postby Dogma » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:39 am

Furthur wrote:http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results?TournID=8865

Look who finished 2nd behind King Mullet. The man hasn't played a round of competitive golf in 5-6 year, and he's shooting 1040 rated rounds.

Since he's a world champ, he also has a lifetime exemption to the USDGC. Now wouldn't THAT be something to see...

That's pretty cool. It says his PDGA membership isn't current, so there's no stats. Is he playing regularly?
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby black udder » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:25 am

I can't see him shooting those scores without regular play. perhaps just not PDGA events. I'll agree that it's good to see him playing. He was a big name for awhile.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:50 am

The rumor going around the message boards in NC is that his is signed up for USDGC.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Timko » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:46 pm

So I asked this on the Worlds thread earlier, but what exactly did Cam do to get suspended in 2004 in the 1st place?
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Banzai » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:01 am

from Jay Svitko, the Marshall that was at the Brent Hambrick Memorial:

As for the Cam Todd incident, this is a Readers Digest version.... I was in the scorers tent when I heard an "Uhoh" from Jennifer Botte & Michelle Janney, whom I was assisting. I looked up to see Cam Todd in TD Dan Busick's face, yelling "This was the worst tournament I have been to! You didn't run this tournament for the player, you ran it to...." I don't remeber the rest. The tournament was over for Todd so DQ'ing him was useless.
Ben Botte & the staff did, however, lodge a formal complaint with the Guru & the PDGA front office the next morning and a report was required of me of the incidents I was up against (there were 6 major ones of note). I received note that Theo Pozzy & Brian Hoeniger were going to review the reports & complaints and we should all hear something before The Worlds.

I guess the gist of his comments were that the only reason the TD held the tournament so he could get his photo taken handing over a check to the Leukemia foundation.

Read this thread: http://discgolfer.ning.com/forum/topics/what-happened-to-cameron-todd?
ridge | roc | river | pd
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby Banzai » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:06 am

If what i just posted is right, then my opinion is that he crossed the line. But I also think the PDGA made a "example" out of him , like someone else (WorkingStiff?) said. He appealed, and they said he could avoid suspension only if he donated his earnings to the Leukemia Society at his next major. He could have just walked away from DG then. But instead, I think he showed some class but playing hard at the USDGC for no money, essentially for charity.

He's taken 5 years off of disc golf. Now that he's back, I think we should give him a clean slate. He's earned it. I think it'd be an awesome story if he's learned to be cool-headed and tears it up this year. I'm rooting for him!
ridge | roc | river | pd
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby black udder » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:47 am

What I find curious is that there is no mention of what made him go off. Let's face it, there are some great TDs out there that run a smooth and organized tournament, then there are others that just frustrate pro players (for any number of reasons). Or perhaps there was something on the course that he was upset about (rules violation, etc.) that started the discussion.

Not saying what he did was right. If he was loud enough and aggressive enough to warrant the TD's action, then he overstepped some personal bounds as well. Just wondering what would make somebody go off like that. I suspect some sort of provocation.

Those of us who watch football have all seen some guy go insane on another guy that was just standing there, then when they show the replay in slow motion, you see the first guy did something/said something as he casually walked by the 2nd guy to instigate it all (not implying that the TD instigated anything, just that there's probably more to the story).
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby Working Stiff » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:46 pm

It's been a long time, but as I recall it there was very little control of the "crowd" and there were AM's wandering around trying to watch the top players getting in the way during the last round of the event. As I remember the story Cam didn't shoot great and missed the Final 9, and he had a history of losing his cool when he didn't shoot well. So he was peeved about how people had been wandering around on the course while the event was going on and pissed that he had not shot better and went after Dan Busick.

The other side of the story is that if you were not around in the 90's and Brent Hambrick is just a tournament name, you don't get why what Cam did was such a no-no. Brent Hambrick was a top pro, TD for the Columbus Open and a great promoter of the game. Everybody loved Brent. Brent died of Leukemia at a very young age, and it was a huge blow to the sport at the time. Disc golf was still pretty small back then, and PDGA golfers were like a really spread out family. It was a big loss to everybody when Brent died. Busick was good friends with Brent and picked up Brent's event, renamed it in his honor and made it into a fund raiser for the Leukemia Society.

In the eyes of the good old PDGA boys, Cam basically spit on Brent Hambrick's memory. Nobody really talks about it, but the fact that it happened at the BHO had a lot to do with the punishment. The BHO is a really bad place to act like a jerk.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Working Stiff » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:01 pm

Forgotten in the Cam Todd saga is Lesli Herndon. She was a top Women's player. She won AM World's in the late 90's and won a couple of the early Women's USDGC events. She had a bunch of top 5 finishes at Worlds, and I think she was 2nd in St. Paul when Cam won the Men's division. She left the tour with Cam, and I think they were married. What became of her would be interesting to know.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby black udder » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:04 pm

I'm sorta torn with that info. On one hand, I can see where folks are coming from -- a sentimental tournament run by a friend of a friend who passed away. It's paying homage to that friend helping their legacy to live on. I can buy into that.

However, from a "professional competitor's" point of view, isn't it the TD's responsibility to run a tournament smoothly? If it's not, I would think it's your right to bitch. Especially if you feel that the lack of control of the tournament contributed to your poor play (and consequently possible loss of winnings). If the TD had downplayed it and taken a disc golfer attitude I see a lot (which is laid back and "take it easy", it's all good type thing), then I can see how a competitive person could get pissed off pretty quick.

Myself, I don't condone Cam's alleged response, but I can see how it could happen.

When you say that the PDGA may have punished Cam more severely because it was at that event seems almost loony. They're the PDGA - they're supposed to promote the sport and grow it. While poor sportsmanship doesn't help, neither does a poorly run or controlled tournament that provokes one of your best players. Then they wax sentimentally about Brent and punish Cam more severely? The PDGA isn't supposed to be sentimental.

I guess from what I've read, it sounds like the attitude coming to Cam was "this is a memorial tournament, you shouldn't worry about what you paid in entry fees or travel costs/time, it's our tournament and you don't really get to complain." Again, not justifying what he did, but it doesn't appear that anything was put into play to prevent the kind of thing from happening again, which, if it was such a big deal, you'd think would be done by the PDGA.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby Working Stiff » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:40 pm

Its hard to explain, but he did more than bitch. He crossed the line and deserved to be punished. He had a long history of this type of behavior and nobody did anything, so I really had no problem with him finally being punished for his poor sportsmanship. All I really meant was that is was no coincidence that it was something that happened at BHO that finally made the folks at the PDGA go "OK, no more."

Part of the problem was that the PDGA did not handle the situation very well. They were not prepared for what would happen when the message board lit up and people started spreading rumors and exaggerating the events. They had also not punished a high-profile player before, and in the end a lot of people at the time were like udder. Anybody who had been to more than a handful of A tiers had seen a pro go after a TD and make an Ass of themselves, and it made you wonder "why Cam?" They really did not ever explain it very well.

I suppose the PDGA learned its lesson about waving its dirty laundry in public from it, though. The Red Hawk embarrassment from what I understand resulted in some punishment, but who and what remains shrouded in mystery. The Cam Todd situation would have benefited from a little more mystery.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby PeterM_Vang » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:22 am

It looks like Cam has pre registered for US Doubles with Michael Johansen.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results?TournID=9197
PeterM_Vang
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby uNicedmeMan » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:09 am

PeterM_Vang wrote:It looks like Cam has pre registered for US Doubles with Michael Johansen.

That is one nasty team there.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby jnecessary » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:19 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:
PeterM_Vang wrote:It looks like Cam has pre registered for US Doubles with Michael Johansen.

That is one nasty team there.

you are not kidding...would be nice if they get some good film
--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Roc

Next

Return to Tournaments