Hart Park in Bakersfield, CA

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Hart Park in Bakersfield, CA

Postby Timko » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:03 am

I may be out in that direction in November/December, and see this is the nearest 18 hole course to where I'll be at for a week. In fact, it has 2 18 holes courses. Any of you Cali boys been there to play it? Thoughts?
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Re: Hart Park in Bakersfield, CA

Postby bigrocc01 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:08 pm

Hey man when you come out call me. Nov. and Dec will be a nice time to play because the heat will be gone! I'll come play a round on each course with you. I'm a local and actually the course co-designer. Rocky 661 303 1353. There are pics and course description at DG Course Review. These two courses are entirely different from one another even though they start and finish in the same spot.

By the way the worlds was GREEEEEEEEAAAT! I played Rosedale "Down Under" course three times for fun. KC has it made!
bigrocc01
Noob

Favorite Disc: Flick

Postby Yehosha » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:57 pm

Furthur wrote:I may be out in that direction in November/December, and see this is the nearest 18 hole course to where I'll be at for a week. In fact, it has 2 18 holes courses. Any of you Cali boys been there to play it? Thoughts?

I've regrettably lived in Bakersfield my whole life, and play both courses a lot. You will not be disappointed I guarantee. I think this course is the most underappreciated/overlooked course in CA.

The only reason it's not talked about more is it's in Bakersfield, aka the Armpit of CA. People drive thru Bako to get to where they want to be and probably only stop long enough to get something to eat, use the bathroom, whatever, and get out of the car when it's 110 degrees and say, "what kind of fricking moron would live in a crap hole like this.", then get back in their car and tell hick jokes for the next 15 minutes and mock our town. Pretty much everyone in CA that doesn't live here, and many that do, thinks this town sucks, so no one I'm sure plans a road trip to play disc golf here.

Let me assure you though, that people are missing out not playing this course. I can guarantee that when someone plays it for the first time, they are already making plans to come back again...it's that good. The courses are set up in Bakersfield's oldest and biggest park, with 2 small lakes, and several streams and the Kern River flowing though it, with huge trees of all sorts throughout. Both 18 hole courses start and finish in the same area so it's easy to play both in the same day. There are no tee signs yet, but with a map you can print up from here you should have no problem finding your way around. Nearly always friendly plenty of locals aorund that would be glad to have you join them for a round or show you around.

Here's a little bit about both courses, which are drastically different in deisgn:

Shark Tooth Mountain: Holes 1, 2, 3, 17 & 18 are in the maintained part of the park in the grass with plenty of shade from the huge trees. Holes 4-16 though are up and down and around the hills next to the park and are extremely challenging. From long downhill bombs on 7 & 11 to scary severe uphill shots on 4 & 13 where a good shot can get an ace or bird, but screw up a few times and a triple bogie is very possible. All holes are par 3. I absolutely LOVE this course....very fun.

Suicide Flats: All 18 holes run through the grassy tree covered portion of the park. Holes 6 & 18 involve throws over water, holes 8, 9, 13, 14, 16 & 17 are all near enough to water that an errant throw could land in the water or the thick stuff nearby. Hole 4 is the only par 4, it's a 718 footer, all the rest are 3's.

So in summary, Bakersfield sucks, but Hart Park is AWESOME for disc golf.
Katana, Doss Surge, Z Surge SS, Avenger SS, Stalker, Buzzz, Ion
Yehosha
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Timko » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:27 pm

Thanks guys. I'll let you know when I'm going to be out inthat direction.
Timko

Postby bigrocc01 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:07 am

Bakersfield is HOT during the summer and does suck. The key is to play early in the day. But 9 months out of the yr the weather is great! Spring and winter are great. The 3-4 months of heat is = to the frozen winters in the Midwest and east.
I don't think these courses are overlooked or underrated. It takes time to get exposure as more people play these courses. These courses are approx 1 yr permanenet and tee signs are being made right now. Yeoshi, many out of town guys have, and will come to Bako to play these courses. At last yrs CVS event the whole Disc Golf Oregon crew came and played in addition to guys from Stockton to Ventura. I was there last week and plyed with 2 guys from Seattle. Road trips are what disc Golfers do!
bigrocc01
Noob

Postby Yehosha » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:11 pm

bigrocc01 wrote:Bakersfield is HOT during the summer and does suck. The key is to play early in the day. But 9 months out of the yr the weather is great! Spring and winter are great. The 3-4 months of heat is = to the frozen winters in the Midwest and east.
I don't think these courses are overlooked or underrated. It takes time to get exposure as more people play these courses. These courses are approx 1 yr permanenet and tee signs are being made right now. Yeoshi, many out of town guys have, and will come to Bako to play these courses. At last yrs CVS event the whole Disc Golf Oregon crew came and played in addition to guys from Stockton to Ventura. I was there last week and plyed with 2 guys from Seattle. Road trips are what disc Golfers do!
Ok maybe underrated and overlooked aren't the best words to use...maybe unknown is a better word....it's out own little hidden treasure....once word gets out and we have long waits to play, maybe we'll wish it would've stayed that way. :D The best compliment I've heard about Hart while out of town was about a month ago at Coyote Point when one of the course creators was saying that Hart was his 2nd favorite course after his own....this guy has been around and has played a ton of courses, so you guys should take that as a huge compliment.
Yehosha
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Mr.SmOOOth » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:13 pm

bigrocc01 wrote:Hey man when you come out call me. Nov. and Dec will be a nice time to play because the heat will be gone! I'll come play a round on each course with you. I'm a local and actually the course co-designer. Rocky 661 303 1353. There are pics and course description at DG Course Review. These two courses are entirely different from one another even though they start and finish in the same spot.

By the way the worlds was GREEEEEEEEAAAT! I played Rosedale "Down Under" course three times for fun. KC has it made!

Rocky Brown? I have heard good things about your courses! Didn't play the CVS last year but I am definately going to this year. I'm going to try to get down there in mid October to play. I'll let you know in advance so maybe we can meet up. This is Pat from Modesto.
"Are you talking to me on a cellular phone? I don't know you. Who is this? Don't come here! Prank caller! Prank caller!"
Mr.SmOOOth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Z BUZZZ

Postby bigrocc01 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:35 am

Mr Smooth it's mid Oct. C
Call me when your comin to town
bigrocc01
Noob

Postby Mr.SmOOOth » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:07 pm

bigrocc01 wrote:Mr Smooth it's mid Oct. C
Call me when your comin to town

Jeez, this month is flying by! Getting the last of the teepads poured this weekend. Next project is having the tee signs put in before the CVS. Looks like we'll be playing the back 18! Gotta postpone my trip south til Nov. Sorry bout that. I'll keep you posted Roc.
"Are you talking to me on a cellular phone? I don't know you. Who is this? Don't come here! Prank caller! Prank caller!"
Mr.SmOOOth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Z BUZZZ

Postby Timko » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:46 am

Ok, here's the deal. I am staying in Delano, but am flying out of LA. I get in on the 30th of November, and am scheduled to fly out on the 4th of December. I would love to come play on the 4th, and fly out on the 5th if

1. Someone can come pick me up from Delano (may be able to work this out though).
2. I could have a place to stay in Bakersfield on Friday night.
3. Someone could take me to LAX on Saturday.

I can pay for gas for someone to do this.

Let me know if it can be done. Thanks!
Timko

Postby bigrocc01 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:01 pm

Sat the 5th is a one day Central Valley Series tourny in Taft. So the ride to LAX will be nearly impossible. If you can ply any other day though call me.
bigrocc01
Noob

Postby Yehosha » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:54 pm

I'm in the same boat as rocky. What's your schedule like during the week?
Yehosha
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Timko » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:46 am

I'm probably working 12 hour shifts. Whether they're 6a-6p por 6p-6a, I won't know until I get there.
Timko

Postby Yehosha » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:15 pm

Furthur wrote:I'm probably working 12 hour shifts. Whether they're 6a-6p por 6p-6a, I won't know until I get there.

If 6a-6p you're screwed for DG, but if it's 6p-6a and want to play after you get off let me know, and I'll see what I can do.
Yehosha
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Courses