Island Question 2

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Island Question 2

Postby Dogma » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:51 pm

I play a course that has the tee box on an island and the basket about 285 feet away on shore. 270 of it is water. Shore is pretty sloped, and even if you make it across the water there is some chance you will roll back in. There is a drop zone on shore about 40 feet from the basket. If you can't throw 270 or for whatever reason don't want to, do you HAVE to throw a tee shot and risk losing a disc? Or can you just say "I'm taking the penalty", not throw, and walk to the DZ?

Relevant rule info:(?)
803.02 A. Play shall begin on each hole with the player throwing from within the teeing area.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Re: Island Question 2

Postby roman » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:08 pm

I guess you can technically just pitch a putter into the water close enough so you can reach it, then take your drop on the other side ;) Sounds like a fun hole.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Dogma » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:28 pm

It is a fun hole. The island is the pro tee, but they use it pretty often for weekly doubles and inevitably some discs end up in the water. Unfortunately, despite the fact that the water is only 6 or 8 feet from the tee box, the drop-in-and-retrieve option doesn't work well. The shore is rock lined and slimy and slopes enough that discs can slide a lot deeper. The water is cloudy so you only get a foot or so of visibility. Maybe you could do it with a spotter there to grab it.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby curt » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:59 pm

I have heard TDs give this option during a tournament before. While it is not the same thing, I definitely agree a player ought to be allowed to do this. (actually, I believe the TD should have the sense not to let divisions who can't easily make it play those tees, but in absence of that). Players shouldn't be compelled to throw a disc knowing there is no chance of recovery. ***Disclaimer*** That is pure opinion, unsupported by any rule in the rulebook.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby veganray » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:52 am

TD could always mark an area very close to & behind the tee (or to the side or on the path or wherever there is land) as OB & the faint-of-heart could throw there to get their penalty & relief with no danger of lost disc.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby ChUcK » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:07 pm

veganray wrote:TD could always mark an area very close to & behind the tee (or to the side or on the path or wherever there is land) as OB & the faint-of-heart could throw there to get their penalty & relief with no danger of lost disc.

That's not a good option. There's a slim chance that the person's disc won't end up in that area, adding another stroke to their score when all they want to do is avoid losing plastic. The opt-out clause should be 100%.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby veganray » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:13 pm

There are no guarantees in life. If the thrower feels that the OB 2 feet away is too hard to hit, he can always man up & go for the pin.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby ChUcK » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:32 pm

roman wrote: Sounds like a fun hole.

I agree, but it doesn't sound like a well-designed hole. I don't like the idea of forcing such a high possibility of lost plastic upon competitors. I think rope-delineated islands are a much better option for that type of shot. Sure, the thrower might "lose" all their plastic like that one guy did at USDGC awhile back, but none permanently.

If the rules allow for the 'OB next to the tee' scenario that Ray described (which would work like 99.99%) then they should also allow for a clause that removes that 'middleman' shot and allows the player to just go to the drop zone immediately with the proper penalty applied.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Postby marmoset » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:01 pm

ChUcK wrote:I don't like the idea of forcing such a high possibility of lost plastic upon competitors.

110% agreed.
ChUcK wrote:I think rope-delineated islands are a much better option for that type of shot.

IMO, rope delineated islands are the same in theory but not in practice.
There is something about throwing over water that is much more unnerving to me. The threat of an extra stroke doesn't usually deter me but- an extra stroke AND a lost disc? You just got inside my head!
ChUcK wrote:allow for a clause that... allows the player to just go to the drop zone immediately with the proper penalty applied.

Again, 110% agreed.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:13 pm

You can have an official policy of "Take two and go to Drop Zone." That's the way it is on the water holes on the Steady Ed course at PDGA HQ at the IDGC. If you don't want to make the throw over or near water from the Blue tees on the six water holes, you may go to the shorter Red tee and be throwing your 3rd throw. The only time this might be needed is tournaments where for simplicity, the TD had everyone play from the same tees and a few players in some divisions couldn't clear the water, or more likely, the wind was really high that day and several people didn't want to throw over in high winds.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ChUcK » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:24 am

marmoset- what if you filled the roped-off OB area with in-laws? That would be scary enough to throw over/into, but still offer the possibility of disc retrieval.
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Dogma » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:57 am

ChUcK wrote:marmoset- what if you filled the roped-off OB area with in-laws? That would be scary enough to throw over/into, but still offer the possibility of disc retrieval.

I like it. OB that can psyche you out, but without the possibility of losing a disc. How about a roped-off OB that has a generous amount of dog poop gathered from a nearby dog park?
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby inthedrift » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:25 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby marmoset » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:26 pm

ChUcK wrote:marmoset- what if you filled the roped-off OB area with in-laws? That would be scary enough to throw over/into, but still offer the possibility of disc retrieval.

:lol:
Not a bad idea but the point is to avoid the OB, not empty your bag on purpose!
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Return to Rules Discussion