This could prove interesting

A place to post or request tournament information.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: This could prove interesting

Postby black udder » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:50 pm

Working Stiff wrote:Its hard to explain, but he did more than bitch. He crossed the line and deserved to be punished. He had a long history of this type of behavior and nobody did anything, so I really had no problem with him finally being punished for his poor sportsmanship. All I really meant was that is was no coincidence that it was something that happened at BHO that finally made the folks at the PDGA go "OK, no more."

Part of the problem was that the PDGA did not handle the situation very well. They were not prepared for what would happen when the message board lit up and people started spreading rumors and exaggerating the events. They had also not punished a high-profile player before, and in the end a lot of people at the time were like udder. Anybody who had been to more than a handful of A tiers had seen a pro go after a TD and make an Ass of themselves, and it made you wonder "why Cam?" They really did not ever explain it very well.

I suppose the PDGA learned its lesson about waving its dirty laundry in public from it, though. The Red Hawk embarrassment from what I understand resulted in some punishment, but who and what remains shrouded in mystery. The Cam Todd situation would have benefited from a little more mystery.

Thanks for the extra info. I do like to hear about the past of disc golf from those that have been around. It does help explain why it went the way it did.

As for Red Hawk... boy. You just *cannot* do that and expect the sport to grow or be popular, can you? *sigh*
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby tigel » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:40 pm

How long was he suspended?

Regardless if what happened, no organization should add emotion into the mix of things. That's not very professional from my point of few. It doesn't matter where he was when he flipped out, the point is he flipped out. I'm glad he was suspended, If it was a year, I'm fine with that. Anything more personally I think that's bull. I guess possibly two years is ok with me, depending on what all he did. I question what all he really did though. Flipping out, possibly throwing things, breaking things, yelling at the TD about a terrible run tournament (despite the situaion) seems like a year max for me. No reason to make it more. He's just another wallet and especially by the looks of it had a lot of fans. That all = $ for the PDGA.
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Working Stiff » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:09 am

He appealed the suspension and got probation so long as he donated his winnings from his next major to the BHO charity. He finished tied for 2nd at USDGC and donated something like $4,000 to the Leukemia Society. Like has been mentioned before, it says something about him as a competitor to finish 2nd in the biggest payout event of the year when he knew going in that he couldn't keep any of the cash. At any rate, at that point he was on probation for a few more months and that was the extent of his PDGA punishment.

So while he was initially suspended, he never actually served a PDGA punishemnt/suspension. He de facto served a five year suspension, but that was his own decision.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Banzai » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:58 am

Working Stiff wrote: So while he was initially suspended, he never actually served a PDGA punishemnt/suspension. He de facto served a five year suspension, but that was his own decision.

This is a classic way to buck a system you disagree with. Make their sanctions and retributions irrelevant by imposing your own harsher sentence.

I'm fired, you say? Screw you, I quit.
ridge | roc | river | pd
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:09 am

Banzai wrote:
Working Stiff wrote: So while he was initially suspended, he never actually served a PDGA punishemnt/suspension. He de facto served a five year suspension, but that was his own decision.

This is a classic way to buck a system you disagree with. Make their sanctions and retributions irrelevant by imposing your own harsher sentence.

I'm fired, you say? Screw you, I quit.
Exactly what he did.

I'm not sure why he is back now, as I have not noticed any difference in the org from then to now. Well, there is a different ED. Same org, new guy named Brian.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby beatz » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:31 pm

What is this Red hawk you all speak of ?
http://www.gdstour.com/index.php
http://www.utopiadiscgolf.com
code: "beatz"
recieve 5% off your order
Grow the sport!!!! Support those that support us!!!!!!
beatz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: anything gateway

Postby Working Stiff » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:45 am

beatz wrote:What is this Red hawk you all speak of ?
The Players Cup was held on a course called Red Hawk. I was never there but I guess is was a ball golf/disc golf hybrid course at a high-end golf resort called The Plantation. After the Players Cup this past fall the course was pulled by the owners. From what I gather the problem was damage to the course due to too much fun with golf carts, damage to rooms due to too much fun between rounds and the constant, persistent oder of the herb. Basically, the disc golfers were having way too much fun and the ball golfers kicked us out.

Now, if the country club down the road put in a Fly 18 and it got pulled because we local Joe Schmoe disc golfers were having too much fun it would be one thing. It would still be bad, but no worse than any other course a bunch of boneheads got pulled. The Players Cup was a major, only the very best "professional" disc golfers were there. Having a venue like the Plantation green lighting disc golf was huge for them. Me, not so much. But for them it was exactly the kind of thing they want. It was a step toward the big time. So it was a big deal for "professional" disc golf, and the "professional" disc golfers screwed the pooch and got it pulled. It was a very bad turn of event for the PDGA.

From what I understand there was some discipline handed down becasue of this turn of events, but it has been pretty hush-hush. I'm sure all the people who tour regularly know the who's and whats, but the Internet rumor mill has been pretty quiet on the subject. If the PDGA could have controlled the information and handled the discipline in the Cam Todd case this quietly, things may have turned out differently.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby beatz » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:41 pm

ahh yes i do remember hearing of that. Too bad. Thanks for the more insight.
http://www.gdstour.com/index.php
http://www.utopiadiscgolf.com
code: "beatz"
recieve 5% off your order
Grow the sport!!!! Support those that support us!!!!!!
beatz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: anything gateway

Previous

Return to Tournaments