Mejlholm's slow speed drives

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Mejlholm's slow speed drives

Postby mejlholm » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:24 am

So with the help of JR, I finally got some slow speed videos of myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2O6LulZ2gs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS1OuxLUKL8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9wnfUcqOvk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piq1FMarkPw

JR has already pointed out some stuff. One thing was that I tend to put too much of my body's weight on the behind leg during the reach back. Also the space between the legs during the reach back is unnecessarily large. Besides that, I probably forgot most of the other stuff he pointed out.

Feedback is appreciated :-)
PDGA | Bag | Drives

Wizard | Roc | Eagle-X | Sword | Giant
mejlholm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: TL

Re: Mejlholm's slow speed drives

Postby JR » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:05 pm

Some quick technical comments. I'll wait on technique comments because I'd like to see the opinions of others and see how the consensus forms.

These were shot after a round at Tali Open in Helsinki, Finland. The camera was Casio EX-F1 that unfortunately died during the European Open. These videos were taken just before sunset with the intention of using the fastest semi usable exposure times to produce as unblurred still images as possible save for the fourth video which was dictated by the minimal available light to be HD with a lot longer exposure time with a lot lesser frae rate. That's the reason for being so dark. The first three videos were taken at 300 pictures per second and the playback rate is 29.97 FPS which means about 10x slowing down from real time.

The first video was taken from top of the table visible in the second video. That table is immortalized in the youtube video by lcgm8 of Tali Open preview. He also filmed the European Open with great success. I wouldn't mind a DVD from both events at all :-) The lower half of me is visible in that preview and all of mafa from here too as well as a "noob" poster here that needs his status to be changed to "I throw faaaar" and if wanted a world champion. We've got verification of that D on video and mafa is prepping a video where the current world champion is shown from ground level and more top down as the first video shown side by side and synced in time. BH, FH and 360. With me being on the ladder head at 4 meters above the ground about to faint and fall down like shown in the preview of Tali Open. I hope these videos will end up on the website of aviar7495 eventually and help in getting him and DG on television and growing more.

We've also got a mother load of the top players in the world at 300 FPS on film waiting to be uploaded to youtube doing long distance drives in slo mo and competition throws mostly in HD. Too bad I can't PM lcgm8 at youtube and have no direct connection to him because we have things to discuss. Like DVDs. Besides I need to communicate with the TDs about what the wealth of video is gonna be used for. I staffed at the EO 2009 doing video shooting. ATM I've got over 100 gig of footage and am missing part of that of lcgm8 took. Then there were professionals of videographing at the EO 2009 too. And I've got nice action of the ladies lead group during the finals that the pros don't currently have.

Edit: I'd like to see comments of the quality of moving the thumb lock around the edge of the disc. Especially in the third video which shows some easily detectable action.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby masterbeato » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:52 pm

wrist needs to be in the down position.

how to fix:
extend your thumb forwards, lock your wrist right there, and place your thumb above your index and pinch; slightly squeeze with the other fingers.

you are not coming in tight; your pulling your arm around your body, instead of "through" your body.

how to fix:
take that elbow through the pull through so the disc is nice and tight against your body, going into the center of your chest, and through the right pectoral.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby mejlholm » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:57 pm

Actually I used to have better control of the wrist. It must have slipped during this season. I think it is apparent in almost all of my drives, where I tend to juggle the disc a bit before grabbing it hard during the run up.

I definitely have to work on the reach back. JR pointed this out as well.

Thanks guys :-)
PDGA | Bag | Drives

Wizard | Roc | Eagle-X | Sword | Giant
mejlholm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby JR » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:48 am

I've had the best grip results of my career so far by not having any deformation of finger shape until the disc moves beyond the right pec then I'm pinching as hard as I can with the index finger and thumb. Well I try to with the thumb but am better with the index finger. The grip is super light as if you weren't holding anything.

I've thrown 80+ meters with putters with only the index finger touching the rim to increase power of that finger. I got cleaner releases needing less hyzer and seeing less wobble. Now I know why I've had longer and cleaner flights with two finger grips. Two fingers for me mean looser muscles as well on full force drives. Too bad I don't get a full arc of the disc moving thumb lock from 9 o'clock on the disc to 3 o'clock at the rip.

I appreciate all the help I can get about clean releases from pinky to middle finger HELP!

I don't know why it's more difficult to get more thumb pressure. Lack of muscle power or nerve damage or lack of muscle control are the possible culprits I've thought of. That thumb pressure deficiency may explain why I have trouble moving the fingers from 9 o'clock on the disc to 3 o'clock consistently and at full power.

On the longest throw I've achieved albeit with wind help my index finger had a flat spot on the right side of the tip so that's likely enough power but what do I know because I'm in early stages with finger power development and lack big snap. So you do need to pinch hard and it can be achieved starting after the disc rear has passed the right side.

I'm sure your leg work is better with less rubber knees once you get rest and don't throw after competition rounds. On consecutive days.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique