Shoes: keepin the stank out

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Shoes: keepin the stank out

Postby RustyP » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:02 am

I've got a pair of Merrel's with the factory anti-microbial insoles that I've been playing in for the past year and a half. Up until last month, those insoles really worked well - I have pretty smelly feet after playing multiple rounds in thin socks, and sure enough, my shoes never smelled like rotten ass...that is, until I had to step into some nasty Louisiana swamp water a few weeks ago to retrieve a disc.

Just wondering what you guys use to suck the stank out of your shoes, aside from throwing them into the washing machine. In the past I've tried the baking soda method, but it didn't really work. Any particular sprays/powders or maybe a specific brand of insoles that worked for you?
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Re: Shoes: keepin the stank out

Postby SkaBob » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:25 pm

If you got them wet, only getting them wet and clean is going to get rid of that stank...
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby tigel » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:23 am

dry coffee beans possibly?
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jesse B 707 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:56 am

my superfeet insoles dont really seem to absorb stink.....sounds like you'll need some serious washing to rid yourself of that problem though
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Mr.SmOOOth » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:58 am

I made the mistake of walking in some stinky, stagnant water in Florida a few summers ago. When I got home I stuffed newspaper into the shoes to help them dry quicker. Next time I wore them the funk was still there. I washed them in the washer, let them dry and after playing in them, yup, the funk was back. I had to keep them on my balcony.
You got a year and a half out of the Merrels, that's a good run. I'd get a new pair and keep the old ones for muddy days.
"Are you talking to me on a cellular phone? I don't know you. Who is this? Don't come here! Prank caller! Prank caller!"
Mr.SmOOOth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Z BUZZZ

Postby Jaysus » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:24 am

I have yet to find a way to get nasty creek stank out of shoes... I always wind up keeping them outdoors as well if that happens.
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Yehosha » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:40 am

Try fabreeze, it works great. Just wash your shoes, let them dry, then generously spray the febreeze all over inside and out.
Katana, Doss Surge, Z Surge SS, Avenger SS, Stalker, Buzzz, Ion
Yehosha
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Pat » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:25 pm

Yehosha wrote:Try fabreeze, it works great. Just wash your shoes, let them dry, then generously spray the febreeze all over inside and out.

I wouldnt recommend this. Next time the stank comes back, it comes back much worse. Its like the stank multiplies exponentially.
Keep on Chooglin'
Pat
1000 Rated Poster

Postby WRK » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:56 pm

Throw out insoles, wash shoes by hand with woolite, wash until rinse water is clear, air dry, replace insoles, insert cedar shoe trees, that's always worked for me, it's a LOT tougher/less effective with gore-Tex shoes.
WRK
Noob

Favorite Disc: KC ROC

Postby Dogma » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:35 pm

Doesn't help after they stink, but I've had good luck with prevention. If I do any wading (or swimming) I remove my insoles when I get home and dry shoes and insoles in front of a dehumidifier. The key is to dry them quickly before the stink develops. Once it moves in it never really leaves.

I haven't tried it but rinse with mild bleach solution while they're still wet may help.
Or maybe try it as a way to kill the stink in shoes that have already dried.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby stoneman » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:17 pm

wash thoroughly with dish soap in the sink...I mean really wash those buggers (try to not let the wife find out). Then rinse them waaaay too many times, and get them semi-dry. THEN soak them in a bucke of hydrogen peroxide. It will kill anything that stink. Let it bubble awhile,a nd keep pouring more in. Then rinse with water, and wash again with soap. Might have some discolouring from the HP, but man, mine smelt good as new, and I had been in some deadwater swamp stuff that would have killed an ordinary man. :shock:
stoneman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby practically invincible » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:34 am

Careful with the HP, did that on my old chameleons when they first started getting nasty, it got in a slight seperation between the sole and kinda messed with the adhesive. My favorite remedy is....

1. Fill sink with almost boiling h20, Dump in some oxyclean. Soak until the water is hand touchable, shake, scrub, what have you.
2. Repeat with detergent.
3. Run through washer w/o soaps.
4. Allow to dry.

I usually do this all twice, but my girlfriend and I will do 4 pairs of merrells at a shot.
The only disc I throw well consistently is my lucky Wizard.
practically invincible
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:44 am

I've heard that getting the old smell out of technical gear happens in a freezer overnight. Perhaps slipping in insoles wrapped in air tight plastic in the freezer goes unnoticed. Supposedly the cold kills the bacteria eating stuff then farting all that smells.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear