i guess we can call this the hip twist drill

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

i guess we can call this the hip twist drill

Postby keltik » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:22 am

there's been a lot of talk around here about what to do with the hips.....so i made a video

i haven't done any teaching/public speaking in over a year.....and i haven't done it in english in over 2 years (i feel a bit weird about my video) but i think it is a good visual aid

a few notes about what is going on:
1.) the throwing arm is basically loose until the right pec drill position, i am not actively moving it just keeping it elevated
2.) this also demonstrates the necessity of keeping the pull close to the chest
3.) yes i mumble too much
4.) i didn't bend my knees all that much but i was in a bent/athletic stance

i hope this helps, i hope you can understand my mumblings, and yes i know i have a giant head, i'll answer questions the best i can but i also hope that the other guys will chime in that know better than me

much love,

kel

link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_bQatJksuw
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Re: i guess we can call this the hip twist drill

Postby gretagun » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:39 am

Thanks for posting this! I was actually trying to find MB's hip video this weekend, but couldn't for the life of me. I just watched it sans volume b/c I'm at work, but I'll definitely check it out again tonight.
Wizard>Roc>Leopard>Teebird>Orc>Firebird
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Rancho Roc

Postby Redisculous » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:02 pm

Man, that looks way less complicated than what I've been trying to do, I'm going to give it a shot in the AM.

I've basically been not using my hips until the right pec position, so everything is square, and it seems like I have to twist my hips SO far around to get anything from them, hopefully this helps me break my current plateau.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby bcsst26 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:58 pm

Nice video. Thanks for putting that together. I think that should help clear up some things.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:39 pm

You stud!

Real nice presentation :)

This is a great example of how timing comes into play as well, considering where you are when you pivot the hips, you can see that it would take immense arm speed (think Aaron) to get the arm extended from the position you end in. Thus, it takes some experimentation for each individual as to when they actually pull. It's always late, but some folks will need to hold the shoulder rotation until later while some folks will be able to rotate sooner because of their arm speed. If you have discs going early or late, you should be able to ID what's going on based on where you are pulling. If you find you're pulling early, then hold longer, if too late, then try to hold the shoulder rotation for a bit.

Thanks, Kel.

oh, I think Dan's hip video is gone. Last time I went looking it wasn't there anymore. It's in the technique section and primer thread (stickied), which is where this will go, too.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby curt » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:46 pm

oh, I think Dan's hip video is gone. Last time I went looking it wasn't there anymore. It's in the technique section and primer thread (stickied), which is where this will go, too.

I had it bookmarked and that link is also broken. Looks like the video is no more.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby keltik » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:11 pm

black udder wrote:You stud!

Real nice presentation :)

This is a great example of how timing comes into play as well, considering where you are when you pivot the hips, you can see that it would take immense arm speed (think Aaron) to get the arm extended from the position you end in. Thus, it takes some experimentation for each individual as to when they actually pull. It's always late, but some folks will need to hold the shoulder rotation until later while some folks will be able to rotate sooner because of their arm speed. If you have discs going early or late, you should be able to ID what's going on based on where you are pulling. If you find you're pulling early, then hold longer, if too late, then try to hold the shoulder rotation for a bit.

Thanks, Kel.

Black you're gonna make me blush.....and it was that round we played at Bryan park that first got this started in my head.....
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby black udder » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:22 pm

Happy it produced something :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby JHern » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:54 pm

You start your pull earlier than I do, but it does seem reminiscent of Beato's form. My timing is much more similar to Jenkins' in this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHSZyYAVPbs

...which was posted today by mafa in another thread.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby masterbeato » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:37 am

gretagun wrote:I was actually trying to find MB's hip video this weekend, but couldn't for the life of me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDcrO7wPXxU
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby gretagun » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:16 am

^^^^ Thanks man!
Wizard>Roc>Leopard>Teebird>Orc>Firebird
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Rancho Roc

Postby toddglee » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:02 am

As I am in the learning process, and have watched and studied form, and have watched both the Keltik's and Beato's videos on hip rotation, I think it is important to note that they appear to explain two different timings. Beato stays closed until the right pec, and then opens forward. Keltik opens from the reach back then then extends the elbow from the right pec. I personally am having much more success with staying closed until the right pec. I post this for seekers such as myself scouring for information, who might get confused by what is presented here. Not saying which is correct, but try both and see what works for you.
toddglee
Noob

Favorite Disc: No favorite

Postby keltik » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:28 am

I made that video a long time ago and I will admit that I may have shown a poor example of proper timing. If anything I would advise people to use Dan Beto's timing over mine. He throws a lot farther than I do. I think I was more trying to show people a way of getting their legs into the throw not a way of timing the pull. I have watched many other throwers since making that video and Will Schusterick has very good leg work and obviously better timing than myself.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby PMantle » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:51 pm

I think that's wear my right side pain comes from.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Return to Technique