OLF discussion

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

OLF discussion

Postby Aaron_D » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:29 am

I was out yesterday and I almost lost my precious beat 1.2 SOLF which has prompted me to write this. I love the OLF. To me it is vastly more consistent than a fast disc and nearly as long. I love the stability of the 1.2 and the workability of the MOLF. However, I NEVER see other players using it. Pros always seem to have a teebird or eagle in their bag...but no OLF...is this because of their familiarity with the older discs? If you have tried the OLF and have opted to throw another disc (of which I can only really think of like 2 that can even come close to competing) why did you pass on the OLF?
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Re: OLF discussion

Postby Leopard » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:19 am

I tried to drop it and couldn't. Still carry a worn M and a nice 1.1 S, and a RR aka SOLR

People don't throw it because they rarely see someone better than themselves throw it, and nobody near the top is throwing the brand. Less market penetration and going on 5 years of being behind the curve.

Just another great Innova driver, but innova-driver-lovers don't think of it that way.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby rooneytunes » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:58 am

My QoLF is my go to distance driver. And my SoLF is beat and awesome. When people ask me, what was that disc? And I say, it's a Millennium Quantum Orion Long Fade, then they're eyes go crossed and they start to drool, then they see a bird and chase after it. The names aren't the best, but they tell you what the disc should be like. They also don't have those sexy drivers that go up to 13, people really love not being able to throw those discs and throwing them anyways.
Wraith-Pred-FD-Eagle-XXX-Warship-Fuse-Pure
rooneytunes
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Postby Leopard » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:07 pm

OLF bueno
Last edited by Leopard on Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby dgdave » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:10 pm

I tried them about 2 years ago. It was ok, but didn't fit into my game then, don't remember why, probably because I was throwing TBs and Avengers.

I don't see how it would fit with a PD. I may try it again and give it more of a workout this time.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Aaron_D » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:42 pm

HAHAHA! Interesting...I think the PD (and the avenger :mrgreen: ) is probably one of those drivers that can actually compete. 0 HSS is a beautiful thing. I like the fade characteristics better than the avenger. I think the 1.2 OLF is a little more stable and a little slower. The avenger probably has a little more D. I have only thrown two PDs that were 1st run and almost firebird like, but I understand that some are less stable, so I can imagine they would be similar.

Dont see a lot of players throwing the PD either. Must be a matter of personal style.

Ive been pimping the SOLR lately as well.

Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Blake_T » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:13 pm

my power was down this year after playing 1 round in like 22 months. tried to replace the SOLF with the z force since i didn't have enough power to get hyzers as far as i needed them to go.

couldn't get a consistent release on the force due to rim width/hand size so the olf is back again.

i changed the 1.2 on the chart a bit. it's still -0.5 hss 3 lss, but i bumped the power up to 5. basically it gets the same flight path but needs more oomph on it.

1.2's seem better suited for headwind/overstable drives.
1.1's seem better suited for distance and shaped drives.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Aaron_D » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:10 pm

...i bumped the power up to 5.

I always thought they should both be 5. :) ...more like 4.8

I agree completely with that. Also, the 1.2 MOLF behaves EXACTLY like a 1.1 SOLF except it breaks in quicker and is a little longer. I love a broken in 1.1 and was really sad about them becoming rare, but the 1.2 MOLF fills that role exceedingly well.

Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:29 pm

Aaron_D wrote:
...i bumped the power up to 5.

I always thought they should both be 5. :) ...more like 4.8

I agree completely with that. Also, the 1.2 MOLF behaves EXACTLY like a 1.1 SOLF except it breaks in quicker and is a little longer. I love a broken in 1.1 and was really sad about them becoming rare, but the 1.2 MOLF fills that role exceedingly well.

i have a MUCH harder time finding 1.2's than 1.1
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby RustyP » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:19 pm

I threw OLFs for about 6-8 months recently...a 1.2 Quantum and a 1.2 Sirius. The only reason I took them out eventually was because after a lot of field testing, I found that I was consistently getting my Star and Champ Teebirds almost as far (15-20' shorter on average) and sometimes exactly as far on the same lines, and the Teebirds felt more comfortable in my hand. I still think the OLF is a great disc, and I recommend it to people often, but I just didn't see the sense in carrying it when it overlapped with my TBs so much.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Star Shark » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:25 pm

Aaron_D wrote:I was out yesterday and I almost lost my precious beat 1.2 SOLF which has prompted me to write this. I love the OLF. To me it is vastly more consistent than a fast disc and nearly as long. I love the stability of the 1.2 and the workability of the MOLF. However, I NEVER see other players using it. Pros always seem to have a teebird or eagle in their bag...but no OLF...is this because of their familiarity with the older discs? If you have tried the OLF and have opted to throw another disc (of which I can only really think of like 2 that can even come close to competing) why did you pass on the OLF?

Aaron, alot of people only get discs locally. Which means out of the back of some guy's truck, Sports Authority, PIAS if you're lucky. None of these places carry Millennium. Millennium discs just don't have the market penetration that Innova does, or more people would throw them.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby Banzai » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:44 pm

Started throwing them a while back. 1.2 SOLF as my moderately overstable driver. Makes a *great* disc for this kind of thing for those throwing around 350. I never really tried a MOLF, and when I did I went back to the store and bought 2 more 1.1s. They are so straight and so long. Got some good turn once they beat a little. The most controllable distance driver I've ever thrown. So now I'm just using OLFs for distance drives.

Oh and MOLF > SOLS.
ridge | roc | river | pd
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby cmlasley » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:16 pm

The OLF has been a mainstay of my bag for almost 2 years now. I love them all. The MOLF is the longest for me. The 1.2 SOLF and QOLF the most dependable. I'm playing with an abbreviated bag right now and don't have an OLF in while I'm putting the Striker through its paces. I miss my OLFs.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby Spinach D » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:19 pm

I have taken them out every once in a while but they always return to the bag (MOLFs and SOLFs).

They are not popular due to inferior distribution.

I'm suprised more innova pros don't throw them. You see other millennium discs pop up in innova team bag content. Perhaps it will now with the female D record.
Spinach D
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:19 pm

I've been throwing the OLF for a long time and right now I have a really old 1.1 SOLF that is my consistent turn over disc and an old bar stamped SOLF that is my distance driver. Whenever I throw the bar stamped one and get out there with other guy's bosses and destroyers I always get asked what disc it was I threw. Even though I've let lots of guys throw them no one has picked them up around here.

also I've never really gotten into the MOLF.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Next

Return to Equipment