anhyzer

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby jiwaburst » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:02 pm

presidio hills (nice handle by the way, I'd like to live there in my next life),

That brings up something I've been wondering about. I've seen lots of people on boards and at my home course spending lots of time talking about right turning discs.

Advocating understable discs for newer players is one thing, but I don't get what semi-experienced players are doing if they need to throw this shot more than once a round.

I'm still new to this disc golf thing, but I don't really get it. I mean a tomahawk with a putter will go right at whatever one throws it. A roc with nose slightly down, or a shark with nose down will also go right. I mean sometimes there are specific lines that you want to hit and really want the right disc for that line. And that's not even bringing up sidearm angles.

I guess a lot of my energy on this subject is coming from my local course, where the local innova rep who sells discs out of his rig constantly seems to suggest the wrong discs. He's got a 930 rating, so he's better than I am at this point, but that's mostly with rollers, good putting, and really good driving with a Rhyno. But I'm becoming more amazed at how little he understands about some aspects of disc flight. And he is kind of the gatekeeper where I live, so most people in our area will get to know him fairly early on in their process. Nice guy, enthusiastic, responsible for our new course, but I guess I expected a much more neutral approach to disc selection.

Perhaps one of the reasons that I'm responding to you, is that you seem to be able to throw a lot of different ways, like me. And you have mentioned that you like using a beat pro starfire, which I also love.

Got an opinon on this? It'll probably be a few months before life lets me start going to tourneys to talk to a wider range of folks.

/end big ramble
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby presidio hills » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:28 pm

do i have an opinion on disc selection? is that what you're asking?

i think about the discs i throw probably too much. i WAS one that was interested in trying all the new discs... i've been throwing fewer molds lately, however.

i could see someone with a 930 rating not knowing that much about discs themselves... i think some people nerd out over it and others just throw an orc or something, cuz it works. i think the fact that a lot of people online agree that DX flies way better but at my home course EVERYONE throws nothing but champion plastic is sign for me that people online have thought about it more... i like that article blake wrote on disc selection.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jiwaburst » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:02 pm

Yeah, I guess I'm coninuing to think about what I want to throw, and what I want to get my wife. I was wanting to get some 5-7 speed DX discs and was surprised that he really didn't have any. All premium plastics or really fast discs. He genuinely seemed surprised when I said that I don't want any more super fast drivers. Or any discs that came out of the box going right.

He also wanted to give me a Champ Coyote, in a well meaning way, but I don't see why I'd want the grip issues of Champ in a midrange disc that I want to finese by throwing it every different way. Not to mention that DX is cheaper and flys a little better.

But even though this seems like an equipment topic, I'm really thinking about it in terms of technique. It really brought up that already in my young disc golf journey I am diverging in my approach from a lot of other folks.

Or to put it another way, this guy really wants to give more formal lessons and raise the awareness of disc golf in the area. But from what I've seen, he uses his strength to (over)power discs, an attribute which is not tranferable to everyone.

By contrast, the older guys, the over 40 guys who have been playing for a long time seem to have more mastery of angles and shot making, something which I think is beautiful and if combined with sufficent power is what I want to emulate. The older guys are the ones who show me lines I hadn't seen before.
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby presidio hills » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:45 pm

i agree with you on all that stuff.

blake's been talking in other threads about throwing DX gazelles, D cyclones, and DX cheetahs (i think he said cheetah). i've also been throwing a DX eagle with great results... i find my throws with it are very straight, consistent, and my form always feels good when i throw it. the high speed drivers force people to throw harder than they should and if they do it off of every tee their form quickly gets bad. i try to throw discs with a lot of glide that i can go easier on to ensure my form is smooth. as a result i avoid champion/z plastic. i think there's just too much hype about new discs, new plastic etc... SOO much hype. i'm still learning my techniques and feel the new high speed candy plastic drivers just hinder my form. i'll sit back and patiently learn to throw properly and watch everyone else at my skill level launch their STAR Wraiths with no spin like a projectile.
you should tell this guy you prefer DX, D, X, pro, S etc... plastic because you think it flies better and feels better. maybe it'll inspire him to order some and sell it on the course.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Vendor's selection

Postby trogdor » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:47 pm

In many cases, people selling discs out of the back of their car cannot keep a huge inventory due to financial constraints. Because of this, they go to "best sellers" which are usually the newest discs. If he doesn't have what you want , go somewhere else. It doesn't make you OR him a bad person. He is a vendor. Vendors need to stock what is selling.

As far as champ plastic goes, when I buy Champion, I know it's generally going to be shorter and more overstable than the same model in DX and this is why I buy them.

Another reason I buy Champion is financial. I don't lose many discs, but do beat up on cheaper plastic. (There are more trees and rocks than lakes where I play) For me and many others, Champion plastic is cheaper in the long run.
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby Weebl » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:40 am

The reason he might be advocating understable discs, is they can handle many shots in one disc. It makes you work on hyzer angles, to make it a knife hyzer, sweeping hyzer, flattened hyzer with a late/early/right turning fade, roller. Granted, the best disc to use for most of those shots is a Stable disc, slightly beaten (beaten = flippier and later fade than a new version). A good example of stable discs are Teebirds, Gazelles, Rocs, Wizards, Cyclone, ect. The people who swear up and down by a Champ Sidewinder as their main driver (with 350'+ of power), you'll see multiple times scratching their heads on the teepad saying their disc shouldn't have flipped into that lake...
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:41 pm

I have wondered about disc selection myself. Several times I have heard a player give advice I thought was wierd on particular holes. Like throw your champion sidewinder on a course with a lake 10 feet to the right. I remember thinking that it would turn, and it did. I wasn't surprised to see this player fishing for discs with a home-made device.

You are correct that champion and z plastic are very popular still. I am throwing primarily x though something will have to give as I am breaking them in way to quick.

One of the reasons I visit forums is that I don't get to play as much as I like. I definately spend more time thinking about disc than playing, either due to illness or work. :cry:
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby trogdor » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:14 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:I have wondered about disc selection myself. Several times I have heard a player give advice I thought was wierd on particular holes. Like throw your champion sidewinder on a course with a lake 10 feet to the right. I remember thinking that it would turn, and it did. I wasn't surprised to see this player fishing for discs with a home-made device.

That sucks. Sorry to hear that
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Previous

Return to Technique