Disc Golf Shoes

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc Golf Shoes

Postby steezo » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:15 pm

There was a topic on the PDGA message board about disc golf shoes and what people would want in a pair. I just wanted to pass along some info of a pair of shoes that I just bought and are great for disc golf. The shoe is Merrell Chameleon II Stretch Gore-Tex XCR. Retail is $120.00 but I went to Shoebuy.com and entered the coupon code "2006" which took 15% off . Total=$101.53+free shipping. Great water proof and grippy shoe for $100. 8)
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby sleepy » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:03 pm

I've heard both am's and pro's recommend tennis/skateboard shoes for dry conditions/concrete tee pads and cleats for dirt teepads; though they do warn that there is an increased chance in hurting your knee with the cleats from not being able to rotate into the follow-through as easily.

I like the skate shoes in most conditions, except at a few courses in my area that are very hilly, and very wooded with exposed roots and rocks...very easy to turn an ankle in skate shoes when walking downhill over rocks and roots! :(

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:39 pm

I tend to play in one of my beat to hell pairs of chuck taylors. i use my skate shoes on occasion, mostly because theyre more waterproof, and grip dirt tees better than the chuck taylors. Ive tried hiking shoes for better traction on dirt tees but they made very little difference in traction and tended to be less comfortable.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Solty » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:15 pm

i use these massive boots. i've hiked octoberfriz in kansas in em...as well as my local courses...no sores....or wet feet...other than from sweat.

Columbia Frontier Peak GTX Size 14s

if its nice in the summer, i will wear a pair of NB running sneakers if the course is super dry

Mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby steezo » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:37 pm

I used to just play in my nike shox but after getting more serious about disc golf....buying more discs and trying new shots, I'ved thrown my share of discs in water and around muddy banks. So I was just really interested in a comfortable shoe that was gore tex (water proof). I wouldnt recommend anyone playin in cleets, I had a cleet dig in while turning in football.....5 surgies later-I have someone else's acl in my knee. lol
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

tennis shoes

Postby twmccoy » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:45 pm

I've played in tennis shoes, but after a while my throwing method rips the soles off them from the front. Other than wearing out I've never had a problem with them.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Weebl » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:43 am

Cross-Country running shoes, I love 'em. If you are willing to spend a bit ($100+) they have versions with Gore-tex lining. They're damn comfortable, grip when I need them to, and work well on dirt and concrete teepads.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby sleepy » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:37 pm

If you're not willing or able to spend the $$ for Gore-Tex boots/shoes, you could get a pair of waterproof socks like these:

Sealskinz...2 pair for $20

Everyone that I know that has them swears by them, and from what I hear, this is a great deal :)

sleepy
Last edited by sleepy on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Roc_n_Roll » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:54 pm

For the nice days and if I am playing at one course my VANS. If it is yucky I wear my hiking boots Rocky Goretex.
Someday......I will get that ACE!
Roc_n_Roll
Noob

Postby presidio hills » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:12 pm

i just got some nice KEEN crosstrainers... they are so perfect; comfortable to wear ALL day long, low tops so my feet feel free, waterproof so wet grass and mud puddles don't matter, and lots of rubber surrounding the toe area so i think they'll hold up awsome. fine for dirt or concrete.

i used to just wear skate shoes at my course, which wasn't too rugged. but the cushioning squished down to nothing and my feet would get really soar. also, the toe area got all shredded when i threw sidearms. they'de be totally destroyed after a couple of months... i'd keep wearing them anyways cuz i'm poor, and my feet and legs took a toll.

if you're gonna destroy a pair of shoes playing disc golf you may as well do it comfortably... i think $100 is worth a solid pair of shoes if they last a long time.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Smyith » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:44 pm

i have a pair of NB atheltic walking shoes, they are great for concrete and pretty good for limestone pads. natural pads as long as they arent muddy the shoes work great. as for waterproof shoes i dont worry about it either get waterproof socks or carry extra pairs of socks with you.

my biggest thing with shoes is flex in the sole and comfortable to walk several rounds in.
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby garublador » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:03 am

Weebl wrote:Cross-Country running shoes, I love 'em. If you are willing to spend a bit ($100+) they have versions with Gore-tex lining. They're damn comfortable, grip when I need them to, and work well on dirt and concrete teepads.

That's what I use, too. Sometimes they're called "trail running" shoes, too. I find they're comfortable enough to wear a long time, they give good traction on most any surface and are normally very durable.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:10 pm

I was probably the one that started the thread on shoes on that other web site. Merril gore-tex shoes were recommended, but when I went to buy them in the store the guy warned about gore-tex being hot in this dry climate that I play in. I ended up purchasing Merril venilators.

They are great in the heat. I really notice the difference when there is a cold front (80 instead of 90 degrees hehe :D ); I can feel the cold. I tried basketball and tennis shoes for tee pads, but they wear out too soon as do skateboarding shoes.

My main problem was losing my footing on approach shots OFF of the tee, especially where there is an incline or decline. That is why I think hikers or cross trainers are best. If you are one of those players that throws such a good first shot that everything else is a putt, footing on ground probably isn't an issue.

Cleats are just too dangerous. I already have knee and ankle problems. I need something more forgiving.

As for my merril's, they start out really uncomfortable because they are very stiff. They eventually wear in and the vibram soles wear down enough to be useful off the tee but still grippy on solid ground.

BTW, I recieved a pm on the pdga site from a pro telling me to wait on purchasing anything because some company was designing a disc specific shoe. He asked me not to say anything; I guess he should of realized that all bets are off when I was locked out.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fritz » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:23 pm

I like the pair of AdiaisGORE-TEX XCR's, they keep your feet dry, and they are very comfortable. Have nice traction too. Think they cost me about 65-75$ @ REI Sports
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby steezo » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:15 pm

Hey TexasOutlaw.... how are you enjoying this 70 degree Feb. weather 8) My merrell's have been great so far, although it hasn't been 90 degrees yet. Your right about the break in period too. They are feeling much better now. I'm thinking that if my feet do get hot, they're gore-tex, so i'll just stand in a stream for awhile.
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Equipment