Innova Mako

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Innova Mako

Postby JimW » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:42 pm

Approved as of yesterday, hadn't heard anything about it before. By the tech info it's a large diameter midrange that is basically just a deeper Shark (1.4 cm rim depth for the Mako vs. the Shark's 1.3). Also very similar to the Aurora MF.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls


The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1381
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:08 pm
Location: Seminole, FL
Favorite Disc: Whatever

Re: Innova Mako

Postby rooneytunes » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:47 pm

That's a bad ass name. I don't care how it flies, I'll throw it just so I can say, " That was my mako".
But seriously, how will the deeper rim change the flight? Or do you think it is mainly for feel?
Wraith-Pred-FD-Eagle-XXX-Warship-Fuse-Pure
rooneytunes
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions
User avatar
 
Posts: 654
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:05 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Innova Mako

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:59 pm

hmmmm, im sure im not interested but its good to see innova release a new mold thats not a warp speed driver......although im hyped for the next warp speed driver, fast Roadrunner sounds like my cup of tea
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar
User avatar
 
Posts: 8225
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:29 am
Location: *NorCal*
Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: Innova Mako

Postby JimW » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:06 pm

I don't know enough about how different mold factors affect flight but on a guess I'm wondering if this is supposed to be a large diameter overstable midrange designed for premium plastic. That's somewhat based on the similarity to both the Shark and the Aurora MF which, going by Millenium's lettering system, I assume was a more stable Aurora MS (and the main difference between the MF and MS is the MF being taller). But I'm sure someone who actually knows how added height would affect a disc can answer it better.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls


The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1381
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:08 pm
Location: Seminole, FL
Favorite Disc: Whatever

Re: Innova Mako

Postby JHBlader86 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:01 pm

I think that if I get this disc then everytime I throw it I'm going to do a karate bow.
If you took all the porn off the internet there would only be one website left and it would be called Bring Back the Porn.
JHBlader86
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 699
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:12 am
Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Re: Innova Mako

Postby JimW » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:16 pm

Dave D wrote:Yes, the Mako name does imply a Shark like disc. Same size, but much straighter flying. Initial number look like 4,5,0,0. It has the range of a mid with the flight characteristic of a putter. Pretty straight. It will be first introduced in Star.


Hmm. Comet competition maybe?
discspeed wrote:We're not owls


The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1381
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:08 pm
Location: Seminole, FL
Favorite Disc: Whatever

Re: Innova Mako

Postby mixmasterob » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:47 pm

I'll try it.
hyzer flippin' sidewinders.
mixmasterob
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Georgia Southern Univ
Favorite Disc: Sidewinder

Re: Innova Mako

Postby keltik » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:15 pm

I thought the Mako was an older mold. Maybe it is a Comet clone. I'll try a new mid before i try a warp speed driver. I think the deeper rim adds glide. More volume under the disc allows more air to get turbulent under the flight plate and thus get more lift.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 3382
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: High Point NC
Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Re: Innova Mako

Postby JHern » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:16 pm

Hard to imagine this will be any useful improvement on the Shark...maybe a slower Shark? But who wants that?!
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!
User avatar
 
Posts: 2620
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:50 am
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: Innova Mako

Postby SkaBob » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:49 am

I'll laugh if it's a Comet clone...especially since the Comet was an Ontario Roc clone...

Can't imagine with star ontario Rocs available that people would need something more like the Comet. A buddy of mine throws the ontarios for the same shots I throw my Comets for and they're mostly just faster once they've worn in some...
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore
 
Posts: 3493
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:51 am
Location: Detroit
Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: Innova Mako

Postby Working Stiff » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:04 am

SkaBob wrote:I'll laugh if it's a Comet clone...especially since the Comet was an Ontario Roc clone...

Can't imagine with star ontario Rocs available that people would need something more like the Comet. A buddy of mine throws the ontarios for the same shots I throw my Comets for and they're mostly just faster once they've worn in some...
This.

Basically the Ontario is less bitchy than a Comet, so you can throw it harder without flipping it. The Comet has more glide so on a downhill shot or in a tailwind it will outdistance an Ontario by quite a bit. Other than that, they are very similar. They are 100% overlap.

Seriously, I have no idea where this disc fits into their line-up unless they are killing off some mids. Innova needs another mid like I need another hole in my head. They should call this one the Innova Trepanation. At least that would have a cool DX stamp. :P
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR
User avatar
 
Posts: 2539
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:41 am
Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Re: Innova Mako

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:08 am

if they were gonna try to clone anything im pretty sure they would go for the buzz at this point, doubt the comets sales numbers are anything to stress for innova
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar
User avatar
 
Posts: 8225
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:29 am
Location: *NorCal*
Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: Innova Mako

Postby marmoset » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:22 am

from another site:
Dave,
What is the skinny on the Mako? Where does it fit into your current mid line up. Does name the imply that it is a variant of the Shark? What plastic will it initially be released in? Inquiring minds want to know.


Dave Dunipace wrote:Yes, the Mako name does imply a Shark like disc. Same size, but much straighter flying. Initial number look like 4,5,0,0. It has the range of a mid with the flight characteristic of a putter. Pretty straight. It will be first introduced in Star.


Pretty much what I thought it would be. A DX midrange flightpath in premium plastic. Sounds almost like a longer Dart.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers
User avatar
 
Posts: 2813
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 10:23 am
Location: 24073

Re: Innova Mako

Postby Working Stiff » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:26 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:if they were gonna try to clone anything im pretty sure they would go for the buzz at this point, doubt the comets sales numbers are anything to stress for innova
So what is the point of bringing back the San Marino Roc? Other than to confuse the shit out of new players, that is. :?

I guess I could see it if the San Marino flies like shit in Star and Champ and the Mako is planned for Champ and Star runs to complete with the Z and ESP Buzzz. There still is too damn many mids in that lineup if you ask me, something like the Shark or Coyote (or both) need to go.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR
User avatar
 
Posts: 2539
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:41 am
Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Re: Innova Mako

Postby discspeed » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:50 am

Working Stiff wrote:
Jesse B 707 wrote:if they were gonna try to clone anything im pretty sure they would go for the buzz at this point, doubt the comets sales numbers are anything to stress for innova
So what is the point of bringing back the San Marino Roc? Other than to confuse the shit out of new players, that is. :?

I guess I could see it if the San Marino flies like shit in Star and Champ and the Mako is planned for Champ and Star runs to complete with the Z and ESP Buzzz. There still is too damn many mids in that lineup if you ask me, something like the Shark or Coyote (or both) need to go.


Dave D. doesn't throw Rocs. In all my posting back and forth with him over the years I would venture to say that if it were not for the Roc's mystique and popularity Dave would have scrapped it by now. So Innova makes the Roc line of beaded mids and the non-Roc line which Dave is more personally invested. Most of these non-Roc mids have had major weaknesses compared to the Roc and its incarnates and clones. Dave still wants to fix this and make a straight mid with good HSS and glide that grips differently from the Roc. I'm not sure the Mako sounds like the answer though.

By the look and description its basically going to be an Aurora-type disc, hardly seems groundbreaking...How will Innova droll up excitement over this one? It not like they can ride the Shark's underwhelming popularity...
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)
User avatar
 
Posts: 5465
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Clearwater, FL
Favorite Disc: Ion

Next

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests