Innova Mako

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Innova Mako

Postby marmoset » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:00 am

Ode wrote:i do think that the innova mid line-up is cluttered, but whats wrong with variety?

Warehouse space is limited.
Variety is bad when new molds (which are inferior to existing molds) are released and the older molds are discontinued to make room for the "hot new item".
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby discspeed » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:12 am

marmoset wrote:
Ode wrote:i do think that the innova mid line-up is cluttered, but whats wrong with variety?

Warehouse space is limited.
Variety is bad when new molds (which are inferior to existing molds) are released and the older molds are discontinued to make room for the "hot new item".

Says the man with the Polecat avatar... :mrgreen:
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Redisculous » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:23 pm

Has anyone thrown these much yet? What do they actually fly like?
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby tigel » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:03 pm

Redisculous wrote:Has anyone thrown these much yet? What do they actually fly like?

I hear it's more like a meteor, I haven't thrown one though.

From my experience, it will take whatever line I give it. It's right inbetween being understable and stable enough not to turn over. If I throw it with finesse and a bit of hyzer flip it will glide 300 ft easy. If I put some force on it, it will anny to the right. It's not understable enough to where it will flip on every throw, but it isn't stable enough to always come back.

Personally, I really like it. I never threw a coyote but it's been told it's a clone. There's another thread that's titled "innova katana, pro boss, mako" or something that has a lot of information if you take the time to look through all the pages and sort through the other disc comments.
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby LumberJack » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:35 pm

I threw with a young guy that plays open today. He had a Mako in his bag. He threw it on holes from 280-330'. When he threw it flat... it was a laser beam... didn't move left or right... released straight, stayed straight. There's one hole... a 330' soft hyzer hole that I throw a low skip line with a pred on... he threw his Mako on a 25' hyzer line that hit the bottom of the basket... he turned to me and said, "I really like this disc." lol... He let one of my friends who plays Advanced throw it on a 370' uphill hole and told him to lean on it. He did lean on it with a hyzer and it stayed hyzer... didn't show any signs of flipping up. Apparently there's some sort of advantage gained when you can throw that clean... Anyway, the Mako looked good when they threw it. I didn't throw it. It kinda reminded me of a slower new x-buzz.
Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Fizzy » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:26 pm

keltik wrote:The Comet was an Ontario Roc clone? You learn something new every day. I'm not as well steeped in Disc history as Working_Stiff and I was just venturing a guess. A Buzzz copy/competitor would be well not exciting, and I thought the buzzz was supposed to be the better Shark. Like I said I'm just guessing.

Champ Coyote? Interesting. The Coyote also feels a lot like the Buzzz. Maybe Dave D is retooling his favorite.

I don't think the Buzzz is very similar to the Shark at all. The Buzzz is faster, more nose angle sensitive, better on low lines. The Shark is a better turnover disc, easier to "parachute" etc.
Wizard - Aviar - Roc - Leopard - PD - Predator - Wraith?
ForeverBlue232 wrote:It's probably a disc rated 12/7/-5/8. It will go roller and then when the fade kicks in, it will pop back up into the air and fade on you. hehehe
Fizzy
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby disc junkie » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:13 pm

Just wanted to share some of my opinion and thoughts on the Mako as suprisngly its not getting much love.

The Mako is NOT understable, its Stable. It can fly on an "understable" line, it can fly "stable" and believe it or not it can hold an "overstable" line.

Mako is a wonderful mid especially if you like to throw putters. I find the Mako to have a very putter like flight yet longer (I throw Wizards and Magics).

For me the Mako replaced my Comets and I find them to compliment my Z Buzzzes very well(would prolly compliment a Roc even better in my humble opinion). So many people are saying will it replace this or that disc, it can if you want it to or better yet it can compliment what you are already throwing.

Now just because it replaced my Comets doesnt mean its a Comet clone because it is not, there is only one Comet. But, I prefer the feel of the Mako in my hand and I believe them to have very similar glide and for my game I just get more lines out of the mako. I also like the fact that I can throw with around 80% and still get a smooth straight shot which is awesome for those wooded courses or troubled shots. The mako can shred a wooded course, it truly holds the line you throw it on.

Also I have never thrown a mid that locks into straight as well as the mako, its mind blowing and like I said before, very putter like.

I say everyone should at least toss one a few times as I believe it could find a spot in a LOT of players bags.
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby Timko » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:17 pm

That's cool to hear. I saw a guy throw one about a month ago, and that's what I thought it flew like from seeing him throw.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Lithicon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:29 pm

After throwing and loving the Dart, I was almost tempted to try this. But, I dunno that it would fit in my bag between a Spider and a Panther now that I have the Dart. I don't know that the Dart is as much like the Mako as people make it sound. But, to me they both sound a lot a like. One is just designated a putter, the other a mid. Don't know about the power needed for the Mako, but the Dart doesn't require a lot of power to go straight, but can handle the power if needed.
I tossed mine in some crazy winds the other day in my field that I have marked off, and it glided out to 280-300 with relative ease. Makes me wonder if I should try the Mako, but not sure I'd need it. I'll wait till I get my Star Dart and test it out before I begin to ponder getting a Mako right now.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby Mason65 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:40 pm

disc junkie wrote:For me the Mako replaced my Comets and I find them to compliment my Z Buzzzes very well(would prolly compliment a Roc even better in my humble opinion).

Could you explain instances where you choose Mako over Buzzz or Buzzz over Mako? What can one do that the other cannot?
Destroyer*XXX*Eagle*Roc*Ion

Golden Retrieved: 18
Mason65
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The pink one

Postby discspeed » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:21 am

mason65 wrote:
disc junkie wrote:For me the Mako replaced my Comets and I find them to compliment my Z Buzzzes very well(would prolly compliment a Roc even better in my humble opinion).

Could you explain instances where you choose Mako over Buzzz or Buzzz over Mako? What can one do that the other cannot?

Since the Mako is a lot like a Meteor I imagine you would use it for shorter straightish shots where you still want the disc to be flying on an angle the whole way (hyzer or anhyzer) like a putter. The Buzzz is more like a driver when flying on an angle (especially on lines less than 330') in that it cuts hard one way or another.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby disc junkie » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:20 am

discspeed wrote:
mason65 wrote:

Since the Mako is a lot like a Meteor I imagine you would use it for shorter straightish shots where you still want the disc to be flying on an angle the whole way (hyzer or anhyzer) like a putter. The Buzzz is more like a driver when flying on an angle (especially on lines less than 330') in that it cuts hard one way or another.

pretty much what he said. Or when I want them to hold the turnover line the whole flight. Also requires less power to get the straight flight
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby DaPats » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:38 am

The Mako is like the brother of the XD. It has more of a dome than the XD but flyes a little farther than the XD and holds almost the same lines.it wont replace the XDs in my bag but will find spot in the bag where a new XD would be. Definitely not like a roc or buzz. A good addition to Innovas slow mid range line up.
Wizard-Glow Avair-Roc-Cyclone-T-Bird-Wraith
DaPats
Tree Magnet

Postby BrainStorm69 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 pm

tigel wrote:Personally, I really like it. I never threw a coyote but it's been told it's a clone.

I looked at them side by side at a PIAS the other day and they looked extremely similar. Bought the X-out coyote to try.
Advanced Grandmaster Eligible...
BrainStorm69
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 11x Champion Teebird

Postby Trey133 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:14 am

It hasn't earned a spot in the signature yet, but its still in my bag. I'm still very impressed.
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment