North Carolina - Greensboro, Charlotte, Pinehurst

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

North Carolina - Greensboro, Charlotte, Pinehurst

Postby Dogma » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:20 am

I'll be staying near Pinehurst, NC for a conference in October. I'll be coming in on I-40 from the west, passing between Greensboro and Charlotte on Highway 64, and then taking I-73/74 to Pinehurst. I'll only have time to play one or two courses. Are there any in the area I shouldn't miss? Or that I should change my route to accommodate?

Preferences: Interesting, wooded, pretty courses.
Dislikes: Long open courses. Getting my car broken into.
Last edited by Dogma on Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Re: North Carolina - Greensboro, Charlotte, Pinehurst

Postby keltik » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:42 pm

Hornet's Nest in Charlotte is kinda long but not open in the least. Renaissance is more open but is still insane. There is one course in the Pinehurst/Southern Pines but it's just kinda meh. It's called Hillcrest Park it is off of US 1 in a little town called Carthage. There is also O.T. Sloan Park in Sanford which is a little bit north of Pinehurst. But if I had to pick two courses, I would play the Charlotte courses.

Greensboro I can't really speak for, but I've heard there are some really good courses in the area.

If you want a wooded challenge from hell, ride up US 1 to Buckhorn @ Harris Lake in New Hill NC. Bring a compass and a machete/hatchet.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Dogma » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:01 pm

Goods info Keltik. I've wanted to play Reny, Winthrop and Hornet's Nest for a long time, but don't know if I'll be able to get over there. Looks like 2.5-3 hours from where I'll be, so the only way to do it would be on the way there or the way back. Hillcrest looks like it's just a mile or two from where I'll be, so I probably play there some despite the mehness. I looked up Buckhorn on dgcoursereview and it looks kinda fun, though I take it you disagree.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Toomes » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:40 pm

I couldn't disagree more with Keltik about Buckhorn. Buckhorn is one of the best courses in the Raleigh area. It's a challenging course, especially from the longs, that'll kick your ass if you can't hit your lines. The fairways are well defined, so I don't understand the hatchet/machete comment comes from. I just played Buckhorn Monday and its in good condition.

I've played the Hilcrest course and it's got some good holes, then a bunch that'll make you say WTF. Although Sanford is relatively close I'd drive right by it and go play Buckhorn and/or Middle Creek.

In the Greensboro area, I wouldn't suggest Barber if you don't like open courses because half the course is wide open. Johnson Street in High Point is worth playing though. Three sets of tees, technical wooded course, pretty fun.

Obviously, if you can get to Charlotte go play Hornet's Nest (the original layout is better than the Web) and Renny Gold.
Toomes
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:51 pm

I didn't say I disliked Buckhorn. I just said it's a challenge from hell. It is one of the best courses in Wake County if not THE best. The machete/hatchet comment was part of my attempt at humor and you are playing around a big lake and we are known for black snakes and copperheads in that area. I really enjoy that course, but as many of you know my sense of humor is fairly off beat and tends to miss the mark.

Where exactly are you gonna be Dogma? If you are in Southern Pines/Pinehurst/Aberdeen you are a good hour away from the Southern Wake county courses. Hillcrest will scratch your itch but it can be tricky to find. I don't think you'll get robbed in that area. You do stand a better chance of being a victim of larceny if you play Renny though.

Has anyone played O.T. Sloan? Have you played it DCC?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Dogma » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:10 pm

I'll be staying just south of Carthage at the Little River (ball) Golf Resort. Concerns about the vehicle are because I'll be in a government vehicle that I'm not supposed to use excessively for recreational excursions. I know most places are fine, but there are a few out there that are known for having potential problems.

The headline you will see Bradley quote from the news looks like this:
Obama Pays Government Employees to Vacation at Golf Resort with Taxpayer Money

The reality looks more like this:
Government employee goes to free software conference, can't afford to play golf at resort that is hosting conference, sleeps on fold out couch, is given food stipend that doesn't cover cost of meals at conference center, and must pay for own gas to leave conference area.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby keltik » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:06 pm

Hey man at least you still have a job. How do I get on that gravy train?

Well looking at your circumstances I would say just play Hillcrest, and try to catch one of the Charlotte courses on the way back to wherever you're from (some where in the mountains right?). Send me a PM if you want and I'll ride down there and play a round with you (Hillcrest). When are you headin' for this shindig?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Dogma » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:39 pm

Very true. I'm thankful to have a job, and especially one that I like. 'Government conference at a golf resort' does have an entertaining quality to it though.

I think it's the third week in October, but I'll have to double check. I appreciate the offer to get together. I'll PM you when I have my schedule together. I don't mind doing some driving. The real issue is going to be how time is available.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Toomes » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:45 pm

keltik wrote:The machete/hatchet comment was part of my attempt at humor and you are playing around a big lake and we are known for black snakes and copperheads in that area.

Has anyone played O.T. Sloan? Have you played it DCC?

Misunderstood your machete comment. I thought it was a comment on too many trees/bad shule.

I've played O.T. Sloan several times and I'm not a fan of it. Kinda of dinky course, except for hole 10 and 11. Good amount of fluky holes too.

I might be down for a round at Buckhorn or Middle Creek if you come up towards Raleigh.
Toomes
Tree Magnet

Return to Courses