Painted discs

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Painted discs

Postby Eric » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:58 am

I am wanting to use some painted discs on night rounds. am I correct in thinking that a painted disc is not legal per the official rules?

Also, can I use a paint pen or a sharpie and be "legal"?

Just wanna know how much schitt ima have to put up with when I "VanGough" my glow.
Things that fly, or mostly fly.
Eric
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Smiley Face!

Re: Painted discs

Postby marmoset » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:20 am

you tell me-
PDGA rulebook wrote:802.01 Discs Used in Play
A. Discs used in play must meet all of the conditions set forth in the Official PDGA Technical Standards Document. See section 805 B for disc technical standards.

B. A disc which is cracked or perforated is illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F. A disc which is cracked during a round may be carried by the player, but not used, for the balance of the tournament. The player must immediately declare his intention to carry the newly cracked or broken disc to the group or be subject to penalty under 802.01 E.

C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.

D. Discs must be specifically approved by the director if questioned by another player or an official, but in no case shall the disc be approved if it violates any of the above specifications. Any specifically non-approved disc (per the director) shall be considered illegal, and the player shall be penalized in accordance with 802.01 E.

E. A player who carries an illegal disc during play shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. A player who repeatedly throws an illegal disc during the round may be subject to disqualification in accordance with 804.05 A (3).

F. All discs used in play, except mini marker discs, must be uniquely marked in ink or pigment-based marking which has no detectable thickness. A player shall receive a warning for the first instance of throwing an unmarked disc if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. After the warning has been given, each subsequent throw by the player with an unmarked disc shall incur one penalty throw if observed by two or more players of the group or an official.

Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby mark12b » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:33 am

usually night rounds are just for fun, so "legal" shouldn't really be an issue if that's all you use the painted disc for.

sharpie's fine on any disc, it's just like dye. paint marker might leave a detectable thickness (i.e. something that could flake off and leave an edge that you can feel with your fingernail).
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ChUcK » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:32 am

Do it, Van Glogh. Will you ever throw this disc during a sanctioned round?
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby Jeronimo » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:42 am

mark12b wrote:usually night rounds are just for fun, so "legal" shouldn't really be an issue if that's all you use the painted disc for.

sharpie's fine on any disc, it's just like dye. paint marker might leave a detectable thickness (i.e. something that could flake off and leave an edge that you can feel with your fingernail).

By this reasoning all my factory stamped discs are illegal, I can feel the thickness of the stamp.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby ferretdance03 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:26 pm

Jeronimo wrote:By this reasoning all my factory stamped discs are illegal, I can feel the thickness of the stamp.
Read section C. No post-production modification. Stamping is part of the production process, thus making it legal.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby JHern » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:27 pm

Sheesh. Y'all sound like a bunch of lawyers!
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Jeronimo » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:32 pm

ferretdance03 wrote:
Jeronimo wrote:By this reasoning all my factory stamped discs are illegal, I can feel the thickness of the stamp.
Read section C. No post-production modification. Stamping is part of the production process, thus making it legal.

I have been owned.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Eric » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:47 am

Painted a couple with glow paint, just crappy designs but they actually look COOL in the dark. My "happy face" disc looks like total ass by day, but at night it, er, shines.

Got some decent brushes now, so may be able to do some cool effects. I wanna do a tribute to Starry Night, might be able to do something basic now that I got some decent brushes last night.

Definitely not "legal" per the rulebook, but easy to find and fun to play with at night.

Just FYI, I am using the middle of the road glow paint that glows green, which is supposed to be the longest lasting color. There are more expensive paints, but I feel that what you get versus what you spend isn't worth it, as long as you don't buy the cheap-ass stuff it seems fine - especially the basic green stuff.

Have fun!
Things that fly, or mostly fly.
Eric
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Smiley Face!

Return to Rules Discussion