XL why was i not told before!

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: XL why was i not told before!

Postby garublador » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:08 pm

Jsw wrote:Less HSS than a Cheetah? Wouldn't that make it kind of on the fliptastic side?
Not really. It's not a lot less HSS than a Cheetah, just a little bit. It's less "fliptastic" than a Leopard and those are pretty popular.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby black udder » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:20 pm

SkaBob wrote:oh I use the Stalker for the shots I'd use an XL for, if I absolutely can't hit the line with one of my Avengers...

I liked the stalker, too, but it doesn't do flat to flip as well as the XL does. Especially for those in lower power ranges. I think they work well together though. I just went with a TL instead of the Stalker.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby SkaBob » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:22 pm

To be honest, I'm still undecided about the Stalker...I REALLY like it a lot of the time, but I also have a hard time getting a consistent release on it a lot of the time...

But it's just too hard to find ESP XLs the shape and weight I like (light and domey), and it's easier to get a laserbeam shot with the Stalker, for me...
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Jsw » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:41 pm

Hmm, seems like a disc I would be interested in. But I'm sort of content at fairway driver.

I cant even pick between eagles/TBs/Cyclones as it is.
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby Flipflat » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:41 pm

SkaBob wrote:To be honest, I'm still undecided about the Stalker...I REALLY like it a lot of the time, but I also have a hard time getting a consistent release on it a lot of the time...

But it's just too hard to find ESP XLs the shape and weight I like (light and domey), and it's easier to get a laserbeam shot with the Stalker, for me...

So would you say the XL's are inconsistant in runs, more so than normal? Or just with ESP plastic? I've been eyeing X- XL's at Lakeshore's proshop, I'll just go over to the rack, pick one up, fondle it for a little bit, then put it down. I'll probably pick one up, I just hate looking for a certain color, made in a certain year, in a specific plastic....
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby black udder » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:53 pm

Flipflat wrote:
SkaBob wrote:To be honest, I'm still undecided about the Stalker...I REALLY like it a lot of the time, but I also have a hard time getting a consistent release on it a lot of the time...

So would you say the XL's are inconsistant in runs, more so than normal? Or just with ESP plastic? I've been eyeing X- XL's at Lakeshore's proshop, I'll just go over to the rack, pick one up, fondle it for a little bit, then put it down. I'll probably pick one up, I just hate looking for a certain color, made in a certain year, in a specific plastic....

I'm not aware of issues with runs, it's mainly finding the plastic you need (since they're different ratings).
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby SkaBob » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:11 am

Flipflat wrote:

Well, for me it's a combination of dome and weight combination that's being unhelpful in finding a replacement for the good one I lost in the snow at Wagner.

If anyone can find you a decent selection around there it's the shop at Lakeshore, especially since InFlight/Fly closed...If they can't, get ahold of John Minicucci from MCCG, or see if you can run into Mark Ellis at Kensington...

I like light weight (~166g), domey ESP ones. Most of the light ones I find are flat. Those don't grip the same for me, and are harder for me to throw like a Comet because of that - which is really where the XL shines in my opinion (especially in ESP plastic).

Elite-X plastic is a lot less color-dependant than Z or ESP has been, in my experience. I've thrown white, yellow and blue - three colors which tend to fly noticably different in other plastics, and they've been pretty similar in X. I don't think you'll mind either way. There's not a whole lot of variation to be had among the XL lineup.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Postby BLURR » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:27 am

Flipflat wrote:So would you say the XL's are inconsistant in runs, more so than normal? Or just with ESP plastic? I've been eyeing X- XL's at Lakeshore's proshop, I'll just go over to the rack, pick one up, fondle it for a little bit, then put it down. I'll probably pick one up, I just hate looking for a certain color, made in a certain year, in a specific plastic....

After reading this, I took a trip to a local disc shop. Here are my findings. The X and Z XL's are very consistent from run to run from what I could see. They all had the same shape one after another. I picked up a blue 172 Z and an orange 172 Z as these two colors are supposed to be on the opposite end of the spectrum for discraft stability (If you don't know what I am talking about, you can dig through the thread on the pdga site to find the info). On my way home I stopped by the rugby field and tossed them around a bit. Visually these looked the same. Flight-wise...they were pretty much the same as well.

Now...the ESP's they had were pretty much the same and had a bit more dome to them than the Z and X. They were all heavier...but pretty much consistently domey.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby mickas » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:20 am

i love the ESP's because of their dome, it's just more comfortable for me to hold and drive with
Destroyers | Predators | Eagles | Buzzz | Comets | Magnets

trades: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22441
mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby BLURR » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:49 pm

The XL(Z&X) have been in the bag for about two weeks now and they have really cemented themselves in my game. I find myself reaching for the XL now when I want to throw something smooth and flat out to about 350. They are a great compliment to my buzzz's. I now know why Nate Doss is a big believer in these things.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby BLURR » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:47 am

I have to revive this thread again just because of the pure awesomeness of the XL.

Played in a dub's tourney this past weekend. Got to a hole that was 350 ft slightly uphill. Probably plays about 370. First guy throws...Wraith...wide right. Next guy throws...Wriath...goes wide right. My partner throws...wraith...hits a tree...short. I throw the XL...and parked it. It was fun parking holes with the XL when everybody else was throwing Wraiths, TRX's, Boss, etc. I threw 10 shots with my XL during this tourney and netted 8 birdies.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby mixmasterob » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:58 am

BLURR wrote:I have to revive this thread again just because of the pure awesomeness of the XL.

Played in a dub's tourney this past weekend. Got to a hole that was 350 ft slightly uphill. Probably plays about 370. First guy throws...Wraith...wide right. Next guy throws...Wriath...goes wide right. My partner throws...wraith...hits a tree...short. I throw the XL...and parked it. It was fun parking holes with the XL when everybody else was throwing Wraiths, TRX's, Boss, etc. I threw 10 shots with my XL during this tourney and netted 8 birdies.

what do you like better the x or the z? was the z pretty stable when new? how about now? i have been throwing an x for a while now, thinking about getting a z.
hyzer flippin' sidewinders.
mixmasterob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Sidewinder

Postby BLURR » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:54 am

The Z is dead nuts straight for the most part. The X that I carry is definitely less stable. I would rate the Z at 0 and the X at -1. My Z looks like it is still brand new. It has yet to meet a tree, building, etc. The X has sustained only one small tree hit at about 320 ft, so not much damage done. The X turns over right out of the box where as the Z really is dead straight out of the box. I am still on the prowl for an esp one around 171-172 :wink: The XL to me is like a TL and a Leopard got together on a Saturday night and the XL was the result of that night.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:19 pm

BLURR wrote: I am still on the prowl for an esp one around 171-172

I have a reddish with milky white swirls 171 ESP XL, 8.5/10 I'd part with.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Man_Utenbart » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:52 pm

I just got two Z XL's from DD in the mail to day. It's too much snow here at the moment and they're also white, so can't throw them yet :/ I had an older one before (belive it was from around '04) with a slightly, slightly dome, but these are the new run and are very flat, so I'm wondering if anyone could explain to me if there would be som differences flight wise, if there is one? Also, would a XL be a gould compliment to Teebirds (Dx's and some nice old KC's?).

Thanks.
Man_Utenbart
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment