Courses you don't play and why

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Courses you don't play and why

Postby J-Man » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:10 pm

So are there courses in your area that you don't play? What is it about those courses that you don't like?
Team Oregon Ambassador@Large
J-Man
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Courses you don't play and why

Postby Jsw » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:48 pm

I avoid a local course during the summer because it gets SO thick that it can be very easy to lose a disc during your round.

I don't mind being penalized with crappy footing and no angle if I wander off the fairway - that's just golf. But I don't enjoy having a very slim chance of ever seeing my disc again, or ripping my clothes all up trying to retrieve it(thorn bushes everywhere).

Its a fun course though - I love it in the winter. I just don't buy enough plastic to be throwing into an abyss 3 times a week.
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby Mattrek » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:57 pm

I don't play Tierra park here in Lincoln, NE. Two reasons why.

1. City doesn't upkeep it. (Me and some buddies had to go pick up trash one day because it got so bad)
2. Five pins have been stolen in the last year...
Mattrek
Noob

Favorite Disc: Destroyer!

Postby Star Shark » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:03 am

I generally don't play the Chavez Ridge/Dodger Stadium course. It's a fairly short course but the main reason is that it's almost entirely side hill. Miss your line a little and you're hitting a tree and getting kicked up to 300' down a hill and good luck finding it. Just not a fun experience although it's the first place I was ever under par.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby JHern » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:22 am

I'm a disc golf course whore. While I love great courses...I can't stay away from any course, regardless of how awful it is, if it were to become the only viable opportunity to play a round on a given day. I would say I wouldn't go back to the Fairfield-Vacaville course on I-80 (about 30 minutes from San Francisco), but heck if I'm stuck in a traffic jam there and I could get a round in while waiting for the car clogs to clear, you know what I'll be doing...
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby rooneytunes » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:43 pm

Bear Creek in Grapevine,Tx. The course itself doesn't have too many flaws, but the riff raff that it attracts does not appeal to me.
1. Disc poachers (It has happened to my brother personally and to others I've heard through the grapevine).
2. Newbs tossing your salad w/ their wraiths.
3. Undercover cops posing as golfers (doesn't affect me, but I just don't like the idea, it makes me feel violated)

Audubon in Mesquite,Tx. Ankle breaking natural teepads.
Wraith-Pred-FD-Eagle-XXX-Warship-Fuse-Pure
rooneytunes

Postby tito » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

I don't play Riverlawn Christian Church in Wichita anymore because the fairways are riddled with sticker patches and mole-holes waiting for you to twist your ankles. Besides, the home-made baskets are kinda falling apart, and jagged edges on them will eat up your putters.
yeti pro aviar / z drone / z predator / esp meteor / DGR PD / s destroyer / nuke os
tito
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Predator roar!

Postby Jsw » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:45 pm

rooneytunes wrote:blah blah blah...
2. Newbs tossing your salad w/ their wraiths.
....blah blah blah

ORLY :shock:
Jsw

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby chiggins » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:32 am

Jsw wrote:I avoid a local course during the summer because it gets SO thick that it can be very easy to lose a disc during your round.

The Rock?
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby uNicedmeMan » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:04 am

chiggins wrote:
Jsw wrote:I avoid a local course during the summer because it gets SO thick that it can be very easy to lose a disc during your round.

The Rock?

I'm sure that's what he is talking about but it's a lame excuse :D . Hit the fairways and you won't loose any D's, or use spotters, or watch your shits.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby chiggins » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:46 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:
chiggins wrote:

The Rock?

I'm sure that's what he is talking about but it's a lame excuse :D . Hit the fairways and you won't loose any D's, or use spotters, or watch your shits.

Heh. I went out there in June or July I think, 'cause I'd heard it'd just been mowed. And it had, sorta. Holes 1 and 3 had what looked like a 25' wide ribbon of mowed fairway down a field of waist high grass, and the [shool] (sp?) was carpet thick. Which of course made me wanna throw it all that much more. But if I hadn't paced off my shot on 3, I'd never have found my drive. As it was, I think I left two discs on the course (that I saw land clear as day) that just vanished.

I can see how that'd get expensive after a few trips.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby uNicedmeMan » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:54 am

chiggins wrote:
uNicedmeMan wrote:
chiggins wrote:

The Rock?

Heh. I went out there in June or July I think, 'cause I'd heard it'd just been mowed. And it had, sorta. Holes 1 and 3 had what looked like a 25' wide ribbon of mowed fairway down a field of waist high grass, and the [shool] (sp?) was carpet thick. Which of course made me wanna throw it all that much more. But if I hadn't paced off my shot on 3, I'd never have found my drive. As it was, I think I left two discs on the course (that I saw land clear as day) that just vanished.

I can see how that'd get expensive after a few trips.

Shule.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby chiggins » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:00 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:Shule.

Danke.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Jeronimo » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:43 am

I'm contemplating never playing the Gold Dragon in Scarburough ME again because someone nailed my new '09 VW GTI with an errant drive off a tee that is pretty much too close to the parking lot. Left a nice sized dent on my car.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby JHern » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:59 am

rooneytunes wrote:Bear Creek in Grapevine,Tx...Undercover cops posing as golfers (doesn't affect me, but I just don't like the idea, it makes me feel violated)...

Are you serious? What kind of Nazi place is this Grapevine, anyways?

In Cali the cops have absolutely no interest in weed, and very little free time to go around and pulling stunts like this, so they don't bother with disc golf (because they don't expect to find anything else).

In fact, as they argue themselves, it behooves them to leave disc golfers alone and promote the establishment of courses, as disc golf creates an effective deterrent to more conventional kinds of crime in many parks.

I could understand, maybe, if there were special circumstances, like some crime worse than usual happened and they're investigating further...other than that, it is just bad news.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Next

Return to Courses