Divisions by Ratings

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Divisions by Ratings

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:26 pm

It's been discussed before. But members feel they have a right to see their rating as soon as they have even one round. Rather than prevent the ratings from being shown or used until a player has 6 to 10 rounds, it's been better to just allow for situations as the one described in this thread where a player requests a waiver if they feel they are over-rated on too few rounds. Dave gets maybe 3-4 requests per year max and all are not granted.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Timko » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:39 pm

I figured most people don't ask for exemptions. I'm not saying it's a good or a bad thing, more of an observation from the event last weekend.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:27 pm

Furthur wrote:
chiggins wrote:
Furthur wrote:It's probably much easier to pay money, lower your rating, and play where you should, but it seems that 2 rounds aren't exactly an accurate representation of a person's skill, so placing someone into a division based on this information isn't exactly fair to the competitor.

I dunno man, ferretdance just won advanced at Codorus with a 930 rating. ('Course, he's a bad-ass and all heh.)

I think at any tourney I've been at, east coast or west, someone who just shot a lights out tourney like that and tried to come back to MA2... you'd be hearing bagger! and move up! for miles around. Why not play a couple more and see how it goes?

He may have a 930 rating, but he didn't play 930 rated golf.

Nope, 957 and 953. And that tourney wasn't on this update, so I suspect if it had been I'd be a whopping 933 or so...
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby black udder » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:44 pm

If you go by what is generally accepted, that every 10 points of rating is 1 stroke, then Ferret only shot 2 strokes better both rounds that he should have. Basically, a couple putts per round would have done it if he played consistently. Not a lot of difference.

Chuck can confirm or deny this, but I believe it's also based off how the pros score, so I think it's possible that if the pros don't shoot well and Ferret did, then it could raise the rating of his round, even though he shot the same scores that rated a lower round previously.

I know I've seen identical scores with different ratings on the same course.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:24 pm

It's based on how well all of the players with established ratings all the way down to 800 shoot, not just the pros. The probability that 30 or 40 players all shoot either two throws better or two throws worse in any round is infinitessimal. That's why the system is so stable. The variances you see between rounds on the same course get averaged together once the official ratings are done so everyone who shoots the same score on a course gets the same rating.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby chiggins » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:16 am

ferretdance03 wrote:Nope, 957 and 953. And that tourney wasn't on this update, so I suspect if it had been I'd be a whopping 933 or so...

Congrats on the win man! Musta been a fun day, eh? How'd you fare on the CC holes?
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby ferretdance03 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:56 pm

BU: Pros played longer tees for both rounds.
It was also 2 20 hole layouts, par 60 for both. I honestly thought the ratings would be a little higher.

Chiggins: Thanks. It was a fun day, layed back groups both rounds, and my brother caddied for me which was cool. I came through the CC holes +5. Played it too safe a few times and gave up strokes.

Enough about me though...
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Previous

Return to Rules Discussion