Snakes

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What do you do when you see a snake?

Try to catch it or stimulate it to aggression.
14%
Grab nearest object and erase it from the earth.
5%
Give it a wide berth.
14%
Take a moment to carefully observe it and move on.
67%

Total votes : 57

Snakes

Postby discspeed » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:56 pm

I love snakes, but no matter where I go I come across people who have the general mentality of KILL when it comes to any snake. Sorry, but there is never a good reason to kill a snake. 86% of snakebites from venomous species happen to people who ask for it, usually drunk, by fucking with it to show off. On average 5000 people get bit by poisonous snakes each year, and less than 10 die.

Here is a picture of a water moccasin that I came across while hiking yesterday. Many a cracker will swear that these snakes are so aggressive that they will chase you unprovoked. This is total BS. This one was about 5' and as big around a boa constrictor. I prodded it a bit with a stick to gauge its aggressiveness. It would not even coil or open its mouth in the classic "cottonmouth" pose, it simply slithered away.

discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: Snakes

Postby Solty » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:10 pm

in PA....where have hog-head or shovelheads....and they are just mean and nasty....non-poisonous. They seem to love the rocks around my house....they are just mean.
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Dogma » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:21 pm

mikesolt wrote:in PA....where have hog-head or shovelheads....and they are just mean and nasty....non-poisonous. They seem to love the rocks around my house....they are just mean.

Mean? Like they call you names as you walk by? Make vulgar gestures when your back is turned? I hate that.

I was playing Winthop a few days ago and landed in the rough near the water on 18. As I was trying to get my foot under a bush to where my lie was I realized I was about to step on a snake. Passersby enjoyed my lively exit from the bush. Snake turned out to be harmless, but it's interesting how we have the JUMP! reaction with snakes more than just about any other animal. Sadly I didn't have a camera.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Solty » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:23 pm

mean....they attack my garden equipment when im rally not even coming close.....and then stay latched on...
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby discspeed » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:41 pm

mikesolt wrote:in PA....where have hog-head or shovelheads....and they are just mean and nasty....non-poisonous. They seem to love the rocks around my house....they are just mean.

I believe what you are talking about is the Eastern Hognose snake. Its one of my absolute favorites! They have the most complex defensive repetoire of just about any snake. First they hood up like a cobra. They hiss loudly and strike--almost aimlessly. They seriously will not actually bite during this sequence, its all a bluff. If you call their bluff and advance on them they will immediately throw themselves belly up, throw up, shit themselves (actually a thick shit-like stinking musk), stick their tongue out, and play dead. You can go up and start playing with them. Most will not give up the act unless you hurt them or walk away. If you try to turn them over, they will roll back over repeatedly. I carried one around in my DG bag for a whole round and it never gave up the act until I put it down and walked away.

discspeed

Postby discspeed » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:43 pm

I totally believe that snakes can sense fear and behave accordingly. Show no fear and its a different attitude altogether.
discspeed

Postby keltik » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:50 pm

man, wtf is wrong with you?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby stoneman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:54 pm

I like to catch them, mostly to watch others FREAK OUT when I do it. :lol: I did a MTB race once that went through a swampy area. Before the race, the promoter said they would pay 10 bucks a foot for any snake brought into the staging area (it was a 24 hour race) alive and healthy. On my first lap, I caught a 6.5' blacksnake. Easiest 65 bucks ever. :D
stoneman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JimW » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:00 pm

discspeed wrote:I carried one around in my DG bag for a whole round and it never gave up the act until I put it down and walked away.

That's awesome.

I have no problem with snakes. If I see one near me I'll freeze for a second to make sure it's harmless but other than that I think they're pretty cool.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby discspeed » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:00 pm

keltik wrote:man, wtf is wrong with you?

Ophidiophobia- the fear of snakes. BTW, my mom probably wondered that when I caught my first garter snake at about 3 yrs old.
discspeed

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:01 pm

I love snakes. I use to raise corn snakes but had to stop because I didn't have the time and money to keep them in proper conditions.

I also had a giant black rat snake that only liked me and would attack the glass on it's aquarium when anyone else came near.

I've only killed one snake, a copperhead that had set up a nest in my backyard and was going to attack my dog. It had to go unfortunately.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby discspeed » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:08 pm

Here is a copperhead that I had to relocate on my honeymoon in the Smokies. It was hanging out under the natural rock steps leading to a very popular waterfall. At least 100 people had walked right over it, including many children of all ages. I pulled it out with a stick and sent it on its way. Once again, no coiling, no strikes.

discspeed

Postby discspeed » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:12 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:I love snakes. I use to raise corn snakes but had to stop because I didn't have the time and money to keep them in proper conditions.

I also had a giant black rat snake that only liked me and would attack the glass on it's aquarium when anyone else came near.

I've only killed one snake, a copperhead that had set up a nest in my backyard and was going to attack my dog. It had to go unfortunately.

Man, I wish that you could have called me. I probably couldn't have made it to NC, but a lot of times there are snake enthusiasts that will relocate a snake free of charge. Pets and small children are the most likely to not deal well with poisonous snakes. When my child is born I will teach them to stay clear of any snake and tell an adult.
discspeed

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:15 pm

yeah my dog is dumb and likes to lick things to identify them. I didn't know people would come out and relocate snakes for free. I'll remember that if another one sets up camp in my yard.

funny snake story: wife and I were hiking at a local trail around here. I decide I have to piss and walk off the trail a few steps. I start pissing and realize I'm peeing all over a water moccasin. I jump back (while still peeing) and startle it and it goes snaking off into the woods probably really mad at me.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Roy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:20 pm

We have 7 ball pythons in my basement. Anyone want one? they are for sale :D

At one point I kept quite a few snakes. Ball pythons, macklots pythons and brazilian rainbows. one of the macklots bit me and didnt let go for half an hour. Those needle teeth are a bitch :lol:

Snakes are really interesting to me. It's weird how many people are natually repulsed by them.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.