disc stuck on a limb up above the ground rule?

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

disc stuck on a limb up above the ground rule?

Postby bucknuts » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:11 pm

If one happen to get his/her disc up in the air and got stopped in a tree, what is supposed to happen?
--go out and play disc

Challengers, Buzzes, Eagles, Firebird, and OLFs
bucknuts
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Buzz

Re: disc stuck on a limb up above the ground rule?

Postby curt » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:18 pm

you are supposed to mark the position of the disc with a mini by placing the mini on the playing surface (ground) directly below where the disc is stuck. Then you are free to get the disc down (in tournament play, I would suggest waiting until after your throw and don't throw other discs, it would be a practice stroke). There is also a provision in the rules called the 2 meter rule in which there is a penalty if the disc stops 2 meters or higher above the playing surface. Currently the rule is not in effect by default, but the TD has the option of putting it in effect.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Billym » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:50 pm

Funny how they made the 2 meter "in effect" rule.
So far all my weekly leagues and the tourneys I've played all had a 2 meter penalty.
Do some leagues and tourneys actually let you toss one in a tree and not take a stroke?
I know of specific holes like the one at Winthrop where it is suspended and you can throw into a tree without a penalty but other than that what is the norm?
I think if you park it in a tree high enough you deserve a stroke.
Destroyer,Sidewinder,Firebird,Eagles,Leopard, Roc, Mako, S Wizard.

Sometimes I wonder why that Frisbee is getting bigger then it hits me.
Billym
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby curt » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:59 pm

Since the rule has been changed my experience has been about 50/50 either way, it seems to depend on the course being played. Many TD's choose to leave it out if the course is already difficult enough or the penalty is especially likely to punish unfairly. In Austin, we have a couple who directs most of the tournys. One doesn't tend to use it while the other uses it b/c the designer generally had it in mind. Pretty much it is a toss up, go to the player's meeting and if a TD doesn't mention it, assume it isn't in effect
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:32 pm

I thin the logic regarding not enforcing the 2m rule is that quite often you can have two essentially identical shots and one happens to fall through the tree where the other one gets stuck. It seems a little silly to apply a penalty stroke to something that is basically random.
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wasp/Buzzz/Comet

Postby mark12b » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:36 pm

Billym wrote:Funny how they made the 2 meter "in effect" rule.
So far all my weekly leagues and the tourneys I've played all had a 2 meter penalty.
Do some leagues and tourneys actually let you toss one in a tree and not take a stroke?
I know of specific holes like the one at Winthrop where it is suspended and you can throw into a tree without a penalty but other than that what is the norm?

well, usually by getting stuck in a tree you've already picked up an extra shot anyway. assuming you meant to throw your shot *past* the tree, then due to your bad throw you've just turned a birdie drive into a par or worse, not counting any penalty stroke. so in most cases an extra penalty stroke would be unfair to the player since whether or not the disc sticks in the tree is a matter of luck. and unneeded since the bad shot itself penalizes the player.

if the td needs to discourage people from purposely throwing into trees (say, if a hole has nice baseball-mitt tree right above the basket), then it makes sense to put the 2-meter rule into effect for certain trees or possibly the whole course.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Billym » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:12 pm

mark12b wrote:

well, usually by getting stuck in a tree you've already picked up an extra shot anyway. assuming you meant to throw your shot *past* the tree, then due to your bad throw you've just turned a birdie drive into a par or worse, not counting any penalty stroke. so in most cases an extra penalty stroke would be unfair to the player since whether or not the disc sticks in the tree is a matter of luck. and unneeded since the bad shot itself penalizes the player.

That is pretty good reasoning for the opposite argument. To be honest I hate taking a 2 meter penalty I guess I am just used to having it in play. It was in play at this past weekend's tourney at Stafford.
Destroyer,Sidewinder,Firebird,Eagles,Leopard, Roc, Mako, S Wizard.

Sometimes I wonder why that Frisbee is getting bigger then it hits me.
Billym
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:57 am

California in general is one of the "old school" stubborn areas that feel the 2-meter rule should always be in play regardless of the course design and terrain.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Timko » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:04 am

Chuck Kennedy wrote:California in general is one of the "old school" stubborn areas that feel the 2-meter rule should always be in play regardless of the course design and terrain.

All of Twisted Flyer's events have a 2m rule. They said that a good golf shot should never be in a tree.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:15 pm

All of Twisted Flyer's events have a 2m rule. They said that a good golf shot should never be in a tree.

An ace is usually a 'bad' throw also... :)
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Greatzky » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:03 pm

yes.
We have no 2meter rule in effect at our courses in Vineland. chances are that if you are stuck in a tree your lie will be horrible anyway so that's enough penalty we feel. We don't really have any holes that would take advantage of this rule so it's cool.

My old home course (Buzzy's Creek, West Milford, NJ) you could probably use that rule to your advantage on at least hole 1. there is a big evergreen right next to the basket. throwing into that tree would probably leave you with an easy putt.
-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf Apparel
http://hyzerflip.com
Greatzky
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby tito » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:21 pm

I had a feeling the guys in my league were full of it, telling me you can knock the disc outta the tree and then play it where it lies. The main thing that tipped me off is when they started knocking it toward the basket when they get it outta the tree to get a better lie... I'm calling them on it next time
yeti pro aviar / z drone / z predator / esp meteor / DGR PD / s destroyer / nuke os
tito
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Predator roar!

Postby stoneman » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:17 pm

That's how our local league does it...knock it down, play the lie. :o
stoneman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Torg » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:29 pm

So if you throw from under the disc and then try to knock it out with a disc does each attempt count as a stroke? If it takes you longer than 3 mins do you have to call it a lost disc? Personally I like the 2 meter rule to avoid all the giant hyzers that avoid all obstacles in a course. It usually isn't in play here so I hyzer away also.
Torg
Tree Magnet

Postby Star Shark » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:50 pm

Technically, yes. Each disc you throw counts as a practice throw. If you get stuck in a tree, throw something else. Rocks, heavy sticks, I've seen people throw their roll-a-stool up there <and get that stuck too>.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Next

Return to Rules Discussion