minneapolis, mn

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

minneapolis, mn

Postby tigel » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:05 pm

Well it looks like I found a place to move to finally! I'll be on the corner of selby and snelling ave. I was wondering not only where disc golf courses were in the area but also if they're good or not. I understand that's pretty much in the middle of everything so I don't think there is any 18 course holes close. But I'm interested in some on the border of the metro area.

What's your number one course close to the twin cities and why?
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Re: minneapolis, mn

Postby juju » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:09 pm

Google map of all the MN courses:
http://tinyurl.com/2xmlq8

I would say my favorite courses in the Twin Cities are:

-Kaposia
-Blue Ribbon Pines
-North Valley
-Bryant Lake
-Elm Creek

Other noteables:

-CP Adams
-Oakwood
-Hyland Hills
-Shakopee

There are lots of courses in MSP, some good, some bad, some not worth playing. Every course listed above is definitely worth at least one round.
Last edited by juju on Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
juju
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

Postby PeterM_Vang » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:27 pm

Sounds like you'll be in St. Paul. You'll be just 5 minutes away from Kaposia and right down the highway from Kaposia is North Valley. You're right in the middle of everything. Everything that Juju recommended is probably what I'd also say. There are a lot of courses in the area. There's a little bit of something for everyone. Enjoy.
PeterM_Vang
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby tigel » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:53 pm

Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll be checking all of them out as much as possible. Now to find a job before I get up there... ha
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Segovia » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:56 pm

I would second everything said earlier. There really is a pretty high amount of good courses in the area. You're going to be right by two major roads in the metro area (94 and 35E) so you'll pretty easily be able to get to any of them. There are a few decent shorter courses that are at least worth a round in the southern metro as well. Apple Valley has Alimagnet which is a pretty decent little 12 hole course. Rosemount just opened up Brockway this summer which is worth checking out once at least. I'm from Apple Valley but I'm in Fargo for school, but if you have any other questions about the area let me know. My girlfriend goes to school at Hamline which is just a bit north on Snelling from where you'll be so I sort of know my way around.
Ion - Fuse - Axis - Roc - Teebird - Predator - PD - Destroyer
Segovia
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby tigel » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:26 pm

thanks, yeah I lived in Minneapolis two years ago but moved back home. My best friend and his girlfriend actually go to Hamline too. haha. I'm excited to move back, however I'm not sure if I'm bringing my car. So that might cause a problem when wanting to play disc golf. So I don't know yet. I haven't decided. Hamline is a great university too. I'm not that smart to go there (or rich?) anyways...
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby DPJ88 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:14 pm

Bryant Lake = my home course. I love that place.

it has a 30 dollar season pass, but with that pass you also get into the Hyland Hills disc course and Elm Creek.
Pred - Orc - EagleX - River - Wasp - Buzzz - Fuse - Challenger
DPJ88
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Postby Dr. Burd » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:59 am

Did you move / get adjusted yet? I live a couple miles north of you and do the public transit thing to get to a few courses.

Garlough & North Valley are two of my favorites, and also the easiest to bus to. North Valley in particular is a long ride, but the buses return late, which can be a big problem with any of the other suburb courses.

You're also around 2 miles from Highland Park. It's short and not very technical, but if you want to get out for a quick round, you could bicycle or even walk there without too much difficulty.

Lakewood Hills in Maplewood/White Bear is great. Play it when you can, but it's a long haul from the midway area.

Hansen Park in New Brighton is about 9 miles north. Ask locals where the long tees are for 1 & 12. It has some saucer baskets, but it shouldn't be an issue. If you're on game, your drive or approach should put you close enough that the putt is manageable. I find it to be a feature of the course, not a flaw.
Dr. Burd
Tree Magnet

Postby tigel » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:05 am

The past few months have been hell. Two days before I was driving up I received an email saying my room was filled. A day before I was faxing in my contract. Talk about a bust. So I'm still looking for a place, hopefully in the same area +- 5 miles.

I'm moving there January no matter what though. I'm working with the University of Minnesota with my application. Something happened on their end and it might drop me for stupid reasons. Regardless, I'll be moving there january. I'll just have to find another college to attend. I'm also looking for housing still ( cough cough!). So if you're looking for a 20 year old (21 in may) you should email me at joshua1201@gmail.com so we can talk.I check that more than this thread... I'm open to December as well as far as a move in date.

I'm NOT bringing my car so I'm curious how often I'll be able to throw outside of town. I ride my bike and love the city bus so I'm really hoping my options are open as far as trying new courses. We will see, I'm really excited though.
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Dr. Burd » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:17 am

My apartment isn't big enough for the two that already live here so I won't be any help on the roommate front.

Bummer on all the hold-ups. Hopefully everything will smooth out as it gets closer to the move.

I'm not sure what sort of budget you're looking at for housing, but cheap/reasonable housing can certainly be had in Midway, and it's a great location for bike+bus transportation. Actually, it's probably the BEST location if getting to a wide variety of courses is the aim. Shopping and groceries for all styles and diets are very convenient.

I would check out Charles St., preferably west of Snelling Ave, but a couple blocks east of Snelling would be fine too. You'll be 2-4 blocks from several major hi-frequency bus lines (which would take you to the U, Hamline University, or within walking distance of at least 3 other colleges that I can think of). The 1 bedrooms in this neighborhood are in the $550-750 range. If you're looking for a place to sleep and don't need any room at all, you can get tiny studio apartments a few blocks north on Snelling for $300-500 (most of them are across the street from Hamline University).
Dr. Burd
Tree Magnet

Postby tigel » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:58 am

Yeah! Midway might be good for me. I remember it when I used to live there (2 years ago for 6 months). I loved on university west of the bridge when it collapsed. Literally probably 200ft from the exit. I actually was on my way home and was only one exit away from the bridge when it collapsed. Kinda messed me up for a few months.

My best friend goes to hamline, I love that university. I'll have to check out those studio's. My budget is 400, 450 max (with utilities). i've found some really cheap stuff so I don't think that price range will be a problem.
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby tigel » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:10 pm

Any near by courses close to Edina, MN? (near bloomington/richfield)
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:18 pm

Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Dr. Burd » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:30 am

Hyland is also pretty close to that area (not to be confused with Highland Park). Hyland is pay for play, but I think a season pass is around $30 - pretty reasonable, and it's good at a couple other courses just outside the metro area.

I've never actually played Hyland, but people like it and I hear good things. It closes for Disc Golf in October and they prepare for the ski/snowboard season.

Rosland can be fun, but it has a lot of traffic as a public park and the layout is a bit wonky. I wouldn't call it "home course material".

The positive outlook for Edina is that you're about equidistant from two very nice pay-for-play courses, Bryant Lake (which is awesome) and Hyland (which I haven't played).

The downside would be that you're 20+ miles from most of the other great courses in The Cities and public transit will be really difficult to and from the suburbs.
Dr. Burd
Tree Magnet

Postby tigel » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:37 pm

Thanks! I'll check all those out. I lived in the Twin cites for 6 months a few years ago but I'm not 100% familiar geographically. Would Edina be considered a pretty far away suburb? I know it's a good 15 minutes out, but I just can't picture it in my head how far away it really is. If that makes any sense. I lived on university and 35 so I'm not familiar with that area.
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Courses