Stepping toward your putt.

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Stepping toward your putt.

Postby nothaz » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:41 pm

Both my brother and a friend we play with have a putting stance that causes them to step about three feet forward on their putts. I called them both on it today and both got real mad and stuff. My brother started taking a few steps back but was still stepping forward. The thing is they are both interested in tournaments and I would assume this is against the rules even if they were taking steps back. You have to throw from 30 centimeters behind your disc so they would be breaking two rules, right?
chronicatm(DGCR FORUMS) wrote:the only person that deserves to be hit with a disc is frank delicious imo

Frank Delicious wrote:Welcome brother bear.
You feel generous to your enemies and handicap your deadly claws. You are now Evander Bearifield
nothaz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Soft Wizard

Re: Stepping toward your putt.

Postby Steady 26542 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:40 pm

803.04 Stance
A. When the disc is released, a player must:
(1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface on the line
of play and within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc (except as specified in
803.04 E); and,
(2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole
than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
(3) have all of his or her supporting points in-bounds.

C. Any throw from within 10 meters or less, as measured from the rear of the marker disc
to the base of the hole, is considered a putt. A follow-through after a putt that causes the
thrower to make any supporting point contact closer to the hole than the rear edge of the
marker disc constitutes a falling putt and is considered a stance violation . The player must demonstrate full
control of balance before advancing toward the hole.

Hopefully that answers your question.
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby nothaz » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:36 pm

But can someone start 30 centimeters back then step a foot toward their marker?
chronicatm(DGCR FORUMS) wrote:the only person that deserves to be hit with a disc is frank delicious imo

You feel generous to your enemies and handicap your deadly claws. You are now Evander Bearifield
nothaz
Tree Magnet

Postby curt » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:15 pm

There must be a supporting within 30 cm behind the marker when the disc is released.
You must maintain balance behind your marker (I don't believe you have to be directly behind your marker).

As long as those two things are satisfied, you can do whatever else you want. If you're friend is planting at 29cm, releasing the disc, walking through, and maintaining balance while still being behind the marker, then it is a legal putt.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby ChUcK » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:24 am

If you take a look at Climo's putt, or Rob McIntyre's (sp?), you can see that for most putts they start behind their lie and take a step to the 30-cm line as they release the putter. Is this what you are talking about?
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:26 am

Also, keep in mind that walking in front of the marker is only a no-no if you're inside the 10m circle. You might know that already, but didn't see in your post where they were putting from, so figured I'd throw that out there.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby chiggins » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:40 pm

some call me...tim? wrote:Also, keep in mind that walking in front of the marker is only a no-no if you're inside the 10m circle. You might know that already, but didn't see in your post where they were putting from, so figured I'd throw that out there.

And then only if you haven't demonstrated balance first. It's possible for someone to throw a putt, pick up their mini, and start running to the basket before it comes to rest so long as they've demonstrated balance behind the marker first. (However unlikely.)

Behind the 10m point, Tony Ellis does this pseudo-cheater putt where his back leg is behind the marker, his front leg is in front, and before he fires he lifts his front foot. It's goofy lookin', and it wouldn't help me, but it's legal.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby SkaBob » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:15 pm

chiggins wrote:Behind the 10m point, Tony Ellis does this pseudo-cheater putt where his back leg is behind the marker, his front leg is in front, and before he fires he lifts his front foot. It's goofy lookin', and it wouldn't help me, but it's legal.

Creative...but I'd call him a cheapazz for it.

Though...now that I think about it, he's robbing himself of some power on his putts doing that. In order to not break the rules, he has to place his front foot behind the mini when it comes down, and demonstrate balance there before he moves back past the mini...That backwards motion is taking energy off his putts.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby chiggins » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:46 pm

SkaBob wrote:In order to not break the rules, he has to place his front foot behind the mini when it comes down, and demonstrate balance there before he moves back past the mini...

Nope, out past 10m, not inside. He ends up sort of falling forward and landing on the front foot. Like I said, it's not a shot that goes with my putting style, but it workks for him really well. (And it's no more cheating than a jump/walking putt.)
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby nothaz » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:16 pm

ChUcK wrote:If you take a look at Climo's putt, or Rob McIntyre's (sp?), you can see that for most putts they start behind their lie and take a step to the 30-cm line as they release the putter. Is this what you are talking about?

Yeah, assuming he starts taking a few steps back, this is legal? There is no limit to where you start, only finish?

nothaz
Tree Magnet

Postby Jsw » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:20 pm

Just don't putt like a petter-ass and this doesn't become a problem.

I hate seeing those novelty 'walking' putts. I guess whatever works though. Seems a little flukey though.
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby nothaz » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:14 pm

Jsw wrote:Just don't putt like a petter-ass and this doesn't become a problem.

I hate seeing those novelty 'walking' putts. I guess whatever works though. Seems a little flukey though.

Oh this isn't about me. I putt with my front foot stationary and lift my back. It's all perfectly legal. I hate seeing my brother make comments on my putting when I at least use a legal stance. Well that and the fact that he ''float'' putts.

nothaz
Tree Magnet

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:23 am

Jsw wrote:Just don't putt like a petter-ass and this doesn't become a problem.

The walking putt is not really a novelty. It does the same thing as a jump putt but is easier not to foot fault while doing.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby beatz » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:36 pm

How is a walking putt a novelty ? (i assume you are talking about walking towards the basket after you relese the disc)

I use it for 40 plus. Im too big of a guy to be jump putting, I feel i get alittle more momentum on my putt if i follow it. Basically like a follow through.

By your logic you shouldnt be able to do a x step on a drive, or any throw.
http://www.gdstour.com/index.php
http://www.utopiadiscgolf.com
code: "beatz"
recieve 5% off your order
Grow the sport!!!! Support those that support us!!!!!!
beatz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: anything gateway

Postby ChUcK » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:51 am

Actually, he said that it was not a novelty. Your "logical" thinking could use some polishing as well.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Next

Return to Rules Discussion