Video game season...recommendations?

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Video game season...recommendations?

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:41 pm

Now that daylight saving time is officially upon us, and the weather is going to get crappier, I'm getting in the mood for video games again. I finally got around to finishing Mass Effect last night, and that game was pretty damn cool. I suppose I could play through the campaign again as a different character, but I'm not that hardcore into it, so am looking for something new to play.

I'm pretty damn casual when it comes to gaming, don't really do any online play, but like most genres of games, except sports games, and only play the rare FPS (I enjoyed Halo and Bioshock). Oh yeah, I have a somewhat aging but relatively functional computer and a 360 that's been collecting dust lately. There are a couple newer games that caught my eye like Dragon Age and Batman Arkham Asylum, but I'm casual (and cheap) enough that I'd rather buy something older, or on sale, than pay full price for a new game.

Anybody have recommendations?
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Video game season...recommendations?

Postby SkaBob » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:23 pm

Borderlands.

The Orange Box if you haven't played Portal already.

If you like racing sims, Forza 3 just game out.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Jsw » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:26 pm

I'm a PC guy, when the hell is the new Starcraft or Diablo 3 going to come out.
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:28 pm

Play and trade is having a buy two get one free sale on their used games right now and like you I am cheap and wait for games to go down in price. I just picked up Left 4 Dead, Dead Space, and Dead Rising for a zombie killing trifecta and have to say they are all awesome.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Flipflat » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:45 pm

I'm playing Machinarium right now, it's a point and click game, which I normally don't go for, but it's got a great, unique art style. It's on Steam for $20:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwZBdWRS ... L&index=41
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Jesse B 707 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:00 pm

if you liked Mass Effect, Dragon Age will fuckin blow you away, it really is that good. also been having alot of fun with DJ Hero (expensive but VERY fun)
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:08 pm

SkaBob wrote:Borderlands.

The Orange Box if you haven't played Portal already.

If you like racing sims, Forza 3 just game out.

Yeah, I have the Orange Box and have played Portal and enjoyed that. I've actually never played HL2 and might give that a go, just because it seems to rank up there among the best of FPS games. I do dig racing games too and have Forza 2 somewhere in my little stack of 360 games. Maybe I'll have to break that out. I was looking at Borderlands, but think the review was saying that while the multiplayer is fun, the single player isn't all that noteworthy.

Frank Delicious wrote:Play and trade is having a buy two get one free sale on their used games right now and like you I am cheap and wait for games to go down in price. I just picked up Left 4 Dead, Dead Space, and Dead Rising for a zombie killing trifecta and have to say they are all awesome.

Hehe, I was looking at Dead Space once when I saw it was on sale, but dunno if I'd dig on that. I tried playing Doom 3 when it first came out...alone, in a dark room, and it scared the crap out of me. I don't know if I even made it past the 1st level. :lol:

Flipflat wrote:I'm playing Machinarium right now, it's a point and click game, which I normally don't go for, but it's got a great, unique art style. It's on Steam for $20:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwZBdWRS ... L&index=41

Hmm, that looks kinda cool. I was totally into the point & click adventure games back in the day (Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, etc.)
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:42 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:if you liked Mass Effect, Dragon Age will fuckin blow you away, it really is that good.

It does indeed look badass. Only thing is, besides my reluctance to pay full price on a game, the PC gamer in me doesn't want to buy an RPG on a console if it can also be had on a PC, and I'm not sure how great it'd work on my machine. I think I meet the minimum specs, but definitely not the recommended. :?
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby vto » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:49 pm

some call me...tim? wrote:Hmm, that looks kinda cool. I was totally into the point & click adventure games back in the day (Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, etc.)

Then you should definitely check Tales of Monkey Island, a new episodic Monkey Island game. As an old adventure game fan I have thoroughly enjoyed the 4 episodes that are out, and am eagerly waiting for the fifth ep.
http://www.telltalegames.com/monkeyisland

Also might be worth a look if you can find Simon the Sorcerer 4 - Chaos Happens. Although some people complain that Simon doesn't really act like in the old Simon games, I enjoyed the game and it really had the old point & click adventure game feel with modern graphics.
vto
Noob

Favorite Disc: Orion LF

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:28 pm

Bioshock is awesome and cheap now.
Frank Delicious

Postby JimW » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:31 pm

Jsw wrote:I'm a PC guy, when the hell is the new Starcraft or Diablo 3 going to come out.

Same time any Blizzard game comes out: When it's completely done and of top quality!

some call me...tim? wrote:Now that daylight saving time is officially upon us, and the weather is going to get crappier, I'm getting in the mood for video games again. I finally got around to finishing Mass Effect last night, and that game was pretty damn cool. I suppose I could play through the campaign again as a different character, but I'm not that hardcore into it, so am looking for something new to play.

Do you like Star Wars? If so (and really, even if you don't since they're excellent games regardless) I'd check out Knights of the Old Republic I and II. Same type of game as Mass Effect (Bioware made the first KoTOR game), tons of fun. I probably prefer the second one because it's a little more dynamic but for the most part the two are pretty similar in style and quality. Plus they've been around a little while now so you should be able to get them quite cheap.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:40 pm

JimW wrote:
Jsw wrote:I'm a PC guy, when the hell is the new Starcraft or Diablo 3 going to come out.

Same time any Blizzard game comes out: When it's completely done and of top quality!

some call me...tim? wrote:Now that daylight saving time is officially upon us, and the weather is going to get crappier, I'm getting in the mood for video games again. I finally got around to finishing Mass Effect last night, and that game was pretty damn cool. I suppose I could play through the campaign again as a different character, but I'm not that hardcore into it, so am looking for something new to play.

Do you like Star Wars? If so (and really, even if you don't since they're excellent games regardless) I'd check out Knights of the Old Republic I and II. Same type of game as Mass Effect (Bioware made the first KoTOR game), tons of fun. I probably prefer the second one because it's a little more dynamic but for the most part the two are pretty similar in style and quality. Plus they've been around a little while now so you should be able to get them quite cheap.

The second KoToR had the weakest ending ever.
Frank Delicious

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:13 pm

Ahh yes, KOTOR. I played that back when it came out...one of the best games ever, and arguably the best Star Wars game ever made. I remember how cool it'd be to get separated from your team, and see them fighting off in the distance, just a bunch of lightsabers whirling around. I think I've still got a copy around here somewhere, might be worth bringing out again. I played the second one too, but found it less satisfying than the first for some reason, can't really remember now. I think the story just didn't grip me as much.

Anybody play Force Unleashed? The trailers for it looked cool, but from what I gather, it was a big disappointment. Seeing it on sale a lot of the time for being relatively new seems to back that up.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:18 pm

Force Unleashed sucked.
Frank Delicious

Postby Elevated Plastic » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:20 pm

if you like pc fps games, moder warfare 2 is coming out next week. The first one is still awesome and the second one is supposed to be even better. X 2 on wating for Diablo 3
So many courses, so little time......
Elevated Plastic
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.