Video game season...recommendations?

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Video game season...recommendations?

Postby discspeed » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:05 pm

I've been reading this thread and I have a Gamestop gift certificate. I don't care for FPS and I don't have the time for an RPG. I also don't have time to get way into anything, but I want some with good/simple play control that I can play once and a while and have fun. Assassin's creed sounds cool. I really like 3rd person perspective and a good combo of adventure/exploration/shooting/melee action. Oh yeah, for PS3. All I have is currently is GTA 4 and I've played it to death. Any suggestions for my narrow interests?

PS: i loved the original Diablo, but Diablo 2 was waaayyyy too hard for single player.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:20 pm

Fables 2

Also I am really enjoying Shawn White Snow boarding.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby discspeed » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:27 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:Fables 2

Also I am really enjoying Shawn White Snow boarding.

Not on PS3, right?
discspeed

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:44 pm

oh I didn't realize it was an exclusive. That blows.
Frank Delicious

Postby some call me...tim? » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:47 pm

Assassin's Creed isn't a perfect game, but it's plenty enjoyable. I liked it better than Fable II myself, but now that I think about it, I played the PC version and I believe it had some upgrades over the console editions (extra minigames and able to warp from city to city.) The combat in it is pretty easy to master, and the interactive environments are just stunning. It can get a little repetitive towards the end though.

Fable II is plenty fun too, a good "RPG Lite" game and can be found on sale pretty cheap these days, I believe. I kind of wish I hadn't paid full price for it, but it's well worth the $25 or so you can find it for most places now.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:50 pm

Hows the new prince of persia game? Anyone played that, it looks good and easy to play
Frank Delicious

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:40 am

Not really applicable to me, but for those that are PC gamers and interested in Modern Warfare 2, you might want to check this out first: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009 ... hought.ars

Interesting side note, one of the guys interviewed there, Mackey McCandlish, used to be one of my childhood friends back in rural VA. Hadn't thought of that name for years...small world.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:48 am

Has anyone played 'Just Cause' my buddy was telling me it's pretty sweet.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:01 pm

discspeed wrote:I've been reading this thread and I have a Gamestop gift certificate. I don't care for FPS and I don't have the time for an RPG. I also don't have time to get way into anything, but I want some with good/simple play control that I can play once and a while and have fun. Assassin's creed sounds cool. I really like 3rd person perspective and a good combo of adventure/exploration/shooting/melee action. Oh yeah, for PS3. All I have is currently is GTA 4 and I've played it to death. Any suggestions for my narrow interests?

PS: i loved the original Diablo, but Diablo 2 was waaayyyy too hard for single player.

inFamous or Prototype.

Own them both and love them.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby BLURR » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:40 pm

MW2....it is like the night before Xmas while waiting for this to come out. :D
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:45 pm

discspeed wrote:I've been reading this thread and I have a Gamestop gift certificate. I don't care for FPS and I don't have the time for an RPG. I also don't have time to get way into anything, but I want some with good/simple play control that I can play once and a while and have fun. Assassin's creed sounds cool. I really like 3rd person perspective and a good combo of adventure/exploration/shooting/melee action. Oh yeah, for PS3. All I have is currently is GTA 4 and I've played it to death. Any suggestions for my narrow interests?

the exact game you want is Uncharted 2, this is one of the most gorgeous and immersive games ive ever seen
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby BLURR » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:43 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:the exact game you want is Uncharted 2, this is one of the most gorgeous and immersive games ive ever seen

^^^
This game is the tits. I don't have a PS3. Only played it over at a friends house. I would buy a PS3 for this game alone.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby discspeed » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:40 am

I bought Assassin's Creed used for $20. It was really fun last night. My kind of game for sure.

I really want to get Uncharted and play through before getting the sequel (its also way cheap now). Infamous and prototype are on my future list now too, as well as Uncharted 2 and Assassin's Creed 2. The only thing is that ever since my original wireless router took a dump my PS3 has some bullshit DNS error and I cannot get it online by wire/wireless or anything. I've tried manually typing in all the IP info and everything. So now I can't go online to play or get updates. Its some major BS.

My biggest gripe about the new generation of consoles is the football games. Madden/NCAA just suck. The PS2 games were in many ways better, and that is just unacceptable to me. I love football games and that was one of my reasons for getting a new console. The pass rush is stupid hard (unless you're the CPU), the running animations/moves are weak (when will you be able to break a guys ankles with double moves only using the anolog stick?), and the quarterbacks are helpless. The game seems alright until I'm watching football on tv and realize all the shit that you can't do in the game. The pass rush/quarterback unable to make shifty moves in the pocket is just the worst thing. It seems the game physics/momentum are so off that a guy can be running full speed and miss you, then just pivot and grab you. That is just retarded and once again makes speed the holy grail trumping all other attributes. In real life fast teamss get beat by smart teams that use it against them by misdirection causing over pursuit. With this huge momentum flaw that just doesn't happen. I also think more guys should just fall down when they are not that agile, instead agility means very little. This hurts RBs that aren't pure speed backs. Anyway, F EA sports for having the lockdown on football games. I've enjoyed them for years, but the lack of competition has made them fat and lazy.
discspeed

Postby some call me...tim? » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:10 pm

loaded up HL2 this weekend. Man, I think it's safe to say this game lives up to the hype. I've gotten to Ravenholm, the level (at least the first one) where there's lots of zombies. It's gotten significantly harder in terms of how hard it is to kill the enemies, and amount of available ammo. But the gravity gun fuckin rules. :D
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:36 pm

gonna put this here.

Wendy's has a promotion going on where you enter a code on the side of a large drink on a website and you can win a free copy of NCAA 2010 for any system.

https://wendys.promo.eprize.com/bigscore/

The good part is that you don't actually need a code from a drink. Below the submission form you will see "If you don't have a code click here". Click, and after a quick registration a free code will be sent to your email - as far as I have seen, there is no limit to the amount of codes you can have sent, although it limits you to five entries a day. Every time you enter a code you do a virtual coin toss to determine if you've won. After three tries I scored a copy of the game -

Good Luck
Frank Delicious

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.