minneapolis, mn

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: minneapolis, mn

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:55 pm

Depending where you are in Edina, it's in-between an interior and exterior suburb. Richfield would be a little closer to Mpls and could be less expensive to live if renting.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Dr. Burd » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:18 pm

People SAY it's 15 minutes out. People say everything is 15 minutes out. :roll:

To be fair, you could probably make it to downtown Minneapolis in 15 minutes without traffic. 35W south of downtown is an absolute nightmare as you approach Richfield right now. It's probably in the running for "most dangerous US highway". Absolutely gnarly construction that's been going on for like 2 years.

Highway 100 is hit or miss. Sometimes it's quick, but rush hour packs it to capacity.

If you're considering Edina, you need to decide whether your lifestyle fits the suburbs. If you're going to be biking and using Metro Transit, I wouldn't recommend ANY of the suburbs as they have limited service in the evening/night.

The possible exception to this would be West Saint Paul as there is a bus that runs pretty late to and from the community college. Still, service will be spotty at night and if you hit the bar, you'll need a taxi because the bus stops running shortly after 1am.

If you were looking into Edina, however, you probably wouldn't feel at home in West Saint Paul.

Maybe your circumstance or housing budget has changed recently? Edina is pretty far on the other side of the spectrum from Midway...
Dr. Burd
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby tigel » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:00 pm

Well I got accepted to minneapolis media institute, which is located in Edina. I'm waiting on my review still for the U, which I'm not 100% sure if I'll get in there. However, there is no way I can get turned down from a CC in the downtown area so I'm just waiting on the U.

My plan is to just go to a CC this spring since I kind of need to slow down since its a new city, new everything... I'd rather not have a "crazy" credit schedule a University, or MMI might bring the first months I'm there. So that's why I'm so open to places because there are so many CC's in the area. After Spring semester I plan on deciding on the U or MMI if I go to a CC this spring. My life is a mess ;)

I wont have a vehicle so I think Edina might be out. I really want to go there, but again, I think waiting until fall might be best. Id rather be downtown where I'm close to anything anyways. The only reason I consider moving to a suburb is because I've heard a lot of good things about MMI and it is my career choice as well... so we will see.
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Dr. Burd » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:01 am

Right on. If that's the priority, then you shouldn't let anything else dictate your decision. Just check out MetroTransit.com. Get an idea of where and when the buses would run into and out of Edina and you'll have a better idea of what you're looking at.

Good luck with your search, and congratulations on acceptance to MMI.
Dr. Burd
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Previous

Return to Courses