North Carolina Disc Golf

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

North Carolina Disc Golf

Postby love2hyzer » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:28 pm

Hey disc golfers,

Is there any players here that play any disc golf in North Carolina or visit the area often. I normally play about 1-2 hours from raleigh, nc. I know some holidays are coming up on the calender, maybe a few disc golfers will be traveling this way??
Nothing like a perfectly seasoned kc pro roc.
love2hyzer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: KC Pro Aviar

Re: North Carolina Disc Golf

Postby keltik » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:25 pm

where exactly in NC will you be?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby love2hyzer » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:48 pm

Kinston, North Carolina

We have a course in Kinston which is Lenoir County, course in Goldsboro which is Wayne County, course in New Bern which is Craven County. We also have a course in Pitt County which is known as Greenville. All of the courses are within 45 mintues of the Kinston course. Raleigh which is the capital of North Carolina is about an hour away from Kinston. It has about 3 course I do believe.
love2hyzer
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:32 am

When the hell did they put a course in Kinston? and we have about 10 or so courses in Wake county by the way.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby love2hyzer » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:20 am

Its been here for about 10 years. It was established in 1999. I know they have right many in Wake county. I didnt know it was around 10. You should come to this Kinston course and play.
love2hyzer
Tree Magnet

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:50 am

keltik wrote:When the hell did they put a course in Kinston? and we have about 10 or so courses in Wake county by the way.

How do you not know about the course in Kinston. They have the King's Cup Tourney there every year.

L2H: The new course in Goldsboro is shaping up to be pretty nice. I'd meet you out at the Goldsboro course one sat or sun if I can get some free time coming up. I'd be interested in playing that course.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:19 pm

What Frank said.

Saturdays are better but Sunday afternoons are cool too. In fact I may be down that way this weekend. PM me and lemme know when you'd be free to play.
This is unbelievable disc that acts like space ship. -lovetodg-

Wizard / Roc / Comet / Banshee / Eagle / OLF
BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: DX Eagle

Postby pointdisc » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:12 pm

My sister just moved to Asheville & when I go to visit, what would be some good courses in the area to hit up?

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby Toomes » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:49 pm

I haven't played the Asheville courses, but I hear Richmond Hill is really nice and Mars Hill is also worth playing. Not sure about all the other small courses in that area.
Toomes
Tree Magnet

Postby El Guapo » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:38 pm

kel, get up with me sometime and I will show you the kinston course. It's a sweet course and I will show my disc in the basket and your disc in the woods. or if you prefer I can wax you here in g-vegas at the meadow. I see all the talking, wanna see how much your game has improved.

check it cricket boy... http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results? ... 3#Advanced
Orcs, Firebirds, Stalkers, Rocs, Darts, Pigs, Wizard
El Guapo
Noob

Favorite Disc: pig

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:40 pm

I think Dogma lives up near asheville, hit him up if you head down here.
Frank Delicious

Postby keltik » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:50 pm

well as most of you can see i spend an ungodly amount of time on here and don't play as much as i should for someone with no job

@ el guapo: bring it bitch
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Golf-Distance » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:11 pm

I'm a carolina guy too. The New Bern course that was mentioned is short and fun. The Neuse River lurking is most definitely "in play". (Had a disc tic a tree and go about 50 feet out. :lol: ) If there's anyway you can check out that course on your trip, I think it's a great little 'roc course'. It's really pleasant. :D

My mom is up in the Asheville area and Richomond and Mars Hill are both sick courses. Richmond is really long (par 4's real golf) and Mars Hill is a college course that's challenging. Those are the only 2 I've played up there, but, both are great. Asheville has an awesome bar scenes with bands that don't suck, it's a great town but it's getting a little too Denver-ish if you know what I mean. (Eat poo starbucks).

If you're ever in the Charlotte area you have to hit up Renaissance. It's the best course in the southeast without doubt. Winthrop Lake is in my back yard, and I still drive up to Renny at least every other week. . . There's 1,000+ foot holes, "must get" birdie holes and everything in between. Shooting par on Renny Gold is something like a 980 rating.

And the short course (Renny Original) that some of you may have seen Micheal Johanson throw on the Clash DVD has been changed up a lot too. The U-turn forehand hole was taking out (thank god). There's been a lot of improvements since that video was shot.

Also The Hornets Nest is going to host the worlds in 2012, so if you're in Charlotte get a jump start on your world title over there (and bring plenty of rocs/buzzz/comets because you're gonna need them).

Disc golfing the Carolina's is so sick, we've got mountains, rocks, lakes, swamps, pine trees so the course stays the same year round. I can't think of a better area to golf, I really can't. 8)
---------------------------------------
---------------------------
-----------------
VP, Roc, Leo, TB, Pred, OLF
Golf-Distance
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: in the lake

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:40 pm

Golf-Distance wrote:And the short course (Renny Original) that some of you may have seen Micheal Johanson throw on the Clash DVD has been changed up a lot too. The U-turn forehand hole was taking out (thank god). There's been a lot of improvements since that video was shot.

The new Black short course is much nicer.
Frank Delicious

Postby jppbkm » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:22 am

As a new Charlotte resident (< 6 months) I agree with what you guys are saying about the courses here. Hornets Nest and Renny are both great courses and I am looking forward to doing some traveling to play other courses in the state. Just as a heads up to all you NC residents, the Charlotte Disc Golf Club has just opened TWO brand new courses in the Charlotte area.

If you are playing Hornets Nest you also need to stop and play the brand new NEVIN PARK Disc Golf Course which is only a couple miles from Hornets Nest. All 18 baskets are in and we are hoping to have concrete pads by spring. Natural teepads are marked. This course is a Bear. The woods are as tight as any on the Web course (Hornets Nest longer layout) and the par should end up somewhere between 66 (current par) and 70 (possible future lengthened layout). The total course distance is over 7000' and it is crazy fun. There are a few rewarding deuce opportunities by by and large you will be happy with pars especially on the difficult par fours and fives. Most of the course (especially the front nine) plays through the woods but the course opens up for a few holes on the back nine. The course plays through woods in a circular fashion around the park's existing soccer/softball fields. There are a few holes that play along a walking path which is infrequently busy and there is little danger of hitting joggers. There is usually plenty of space to see anyone who may be coming along the path. The SSA (a 1000 rated round) at the moment with natural pads seems to be somewhere around a 66 but when natural pads are added I would see this dropping closer to a 60. This would make it somewhat more difficult than Hornets Nest and slightly less difficult than the Web. Similarly, though it has a very different feel, it would be slightly more difficult than Renny Original and slightly less difficult than Renny Gold.

If you happen to be driving down/up 77 through Charlotte you would do yourself a great disservice to miss seeing the brand new 521 park Elon(g) Black Course. Also a par 66 layout, this course is the newest edition to a park which already contains a beginner/junior level course (no holes over 350') with an additional set of longer tees which make for quite a fun round of par 3 golf with many different shots required. There are natural teepads marked out here right now but again, with some scout help, we hope to have concrete pads by spring. The Elon Black Course starts by the parking lot with three sub-300' holes, each with greens backed by OB. Once you get off to an ego boosting start the real challenge starts. On the par four 4th hole you must make it to a left to right gap about 275' down the fairway for a chance at a birdie three or even a very rare eagle (which has probably not been seen yet here). Hold your horses though, an OB line/low fence skirts the fairway down the right hand side and if you fade out too far left there is a creek waiting to catch your disc. The basket dares you to run it but if your approach shot fades left you are less than 15' from water and OB on the other side. If your disc golf dreams are undaunted, the par 5 hole five awaits. Your first shot shoots just over 200' straight out of the woods but beware, a retention pond lurks for those who rip a seemingly "great" drive. Better to fade out left where, on your second shot you can shoot over the pond into the open fairway. Don't get too greedy though as the wind can pick up here and send you right into the OB woods if you hyzer out to far or right over another OB fence. If you do manage to stay on the fairway with your 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) shot you can run a long approach shot toward the basket which is on the right hand side of a hill rising from the fairway with, again, tough woods waiting to the left to catch your disc if the wind catches it and you hyzer out. Hole six is a relatively simple par four with a nice 15'-20' gap just over 100' straight in front of the teepad. If you make it through the gap and land in the fairway a straight 200' to 250' upshot should net you a chance for a bird. Hole seven is a nice par 3 respite as you only have to make a forehand shot or RHBH turnover for a chance at a long putt as this right turning fairway just keeps going and going to the right. Hole eight is another tight par four as the creek is even closer on your left. The fairway goes straight for about 250', makes a slight bump to the right, and finishes to the left for the last 150'. Again, beware on your approach as the creek is yet again only feet from the basket. I could go on, and probably will on DGCR, but for now, suffice to say that two more great courses have been added to the Charlotte repertoire.

Come and see and get ready for the Charlotte NC 2012 Pro and AM World Championships!

-Paul Priest
My Bag:

S Wizard
KC and DX Roc
X and Z Comet
DX and Pro Leopard
P and S PD
Star Firebird
Pro Wraith
Z Force
1 BEAT Eagle-L
jppbkm