I just got off a week's vacation where my son and I played a different course every day. About half of the courses we played for the first time and a couple we played only the second time. We played courses that were within an hour from home (Santa Cruz). They are pretty different courses, so it is kind of hard to compare, but I rate the courses below. I am interested if others would rate them the same:
1) Delaveaga - This is my home course and I play it at least 2-3 times a week year round. I think it is a great course with lots of memorable holes, but I understand that the course is not for everybody.
2/3) Ryan Ranch - I was very impressed with this course. A number of memorable holes.
2/3) CSUMB - Oaks Course - Very fun course with surprises (piano, abandoned baseball fields) - some of the quirks might wear off if I played this course repeatedly
4) Golden Gate - I had the most fun on this course, several memorable holes but a notch easier than the three courses above.
5) Aptos High - This is our backup course when Dela is busy. We like this course a lot.
6) Hellyer - Nice course, but the constant freeway noise bothered me some. (We also wanted to play Parque de la Raza, however we got there on November 2nd and found it was closed from November 1st to April - oops.)
7) Pinto Lake - Very challenging course designed by Tom Schot (who designed Delaveaga). Currently it is 9 holes, but another 9 holes is supposed to be installed by the end of November. This course will probably move up when completed.
Black Mouse - Fun, tight, rough course in a redwood forest
9) CSUMB - Cypress Course - Not a bad course, however I would not rate it in the same class as any of the above.
What do you think? Agree/Disagree?