Dog Leg Right off the tee - Not a Stingray - ???

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby presidio hills » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:11 am

Weebl wrote:Star is more overstable than Champion from my experiences, but for the Champion Stingray they used the ontario mold, which is less understable than the San Marino Stingray mold (The mold used for DX Stingrays). I wonder which mold they used for the Star Stingray...

champion stingrays are san marino, actually. i'm not sure why they ended up so much more overstable than DXs). STAR stingrays are the ontario mold but supposedly ended up more like the DXs (less stable than champion) even though the ontario mold is supposed to be the more stable of the two molds. sounds like dave may be sweet talking us DX stingray lovers into buying the STAR... but we'll see when people start posting reviews.

damn i'm a nerd.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:14 am

I have an old z xs that turns right very well, but a d xs beats up faster (mine is at 166 g).

Right now, I am using a slipstream gt for right turns and rollers.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:17 am

If you want more discs to add to the confusion you can include the S or E Element and Aurora MS or QMS, assuming you're looking for a midrange.

I'll also agree that sidearm may be worth checking out.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Weebl » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:22 am

presidio hills wrote:champion stingrays are san marino, actually. i'm not sure why they ended up so much more overstable than DXs). STAR stingrays are the ontario mold but supposedly ended up more like the DXs (less stable than champion) even though the ontario mold is supposed to be the more stable of the two molds. sounds like dave may be sweet talking us DX stingray lovers into buying the STAR... but we'll see when people start posting reviews.

damn i'm a nerd.

I got mixed up, thanks for correcting me on that.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Solty » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:10 pm

there is always going to be the debate of what disc is best for right turns for RHBH players.....stingers, roadrunners, valks. What i've found that experimenting is the only way you will find out what works for you. This experimenting also means different techniques. What manufactures say a disc will do is their interpretation to a mean....it's the extremes where people start using them for other purposes.

just my $0.02

mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Weebl » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:29 am

Ever since I cracked my second stingray in a row (granted they both took a few 100% throws into a rock :?) on a hard cypress, I've grown accustomed to throwing my rocs for those shots if <350. Throw my semi-beat roc with no hyzer for a quicker right turn, and the later of a turn I want I use a flippier Roc with more hyzer.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby presidio hills » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:50 am

Weebl wrote:Ever since I cracked my second stingray in a row (granted they both took a few 100% throws into a rock :?) on a hard cypress, I've grown accustomed to throwing my rocs for those shots if <350. Throw my semi-beat roc with no hyzer for a quicker right turn, and the later of a turn I want I use a flippier Roc with more hyzer.

yeah... i think i've cracked 3 DX stingrays so far. i'm still a devoted DX stingray user, though. in fact, it's probably the only disc i've ever cracked... no matter, i still love 'em. i can't throw 'em 350' though... so for people with more power, flipping the beat roc may achieve what i do with my DX stingrays.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Jwt4412 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:07 pm

Just an update.

The Star Stingray - works great for the #3 at the local course.

Did exactly what I wanted - curls right just past the tree line - sets me up great for the approach.

More understable than the Champion Stingray I let go on Ebay this week.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Previous

Return to Equipment