Quarter K comparison

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Quarter K comparison

Postby Smyith » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:00 pm

i was looking at the gggt flight chart ( http://www.gottagogottathrow.com/catalo ... Chart1.pdf ) and nothiced that the QK and wraith are rated the same but are they really? if it makes a difference i prefer pro plastic over champion. i have the QK (165 & 171) right now and when its warm enough to have a t-shirt on im right around 400' with it consistently with no "s-curve".

also how does the avenger / illusion / tracker fit into this also? i have thrown the my friend's starfire before and didnt like it at the time but i was throwing really shitty that day and it pissed me off so i haven't tried it since.
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:19 pm

By the time I threw a QK, it was already well-beaten. I didn't find it too impressive, reminiscent of a JLS.

I do get long distance from the wraith but with not alot of accuracy. The tracker is slower than the wraith and not as overstable.

The avenger is faster and more overstable than the tracker. I'm not sure I know enough to describe the flights of the avenger to the wraith. I can say that I am more accurate with the avenger.

The avenger will fly straight with a fade at the end of its flight. To get max d from the wraith, I have to try to turn it, so that it's overstability causes it to come back and glide. I use the wraith when accuracy isn't that important, but if I have to land in a certain place, I throw the avenger.

As stated in a different thread, a beat up x avenger will somewhat resemble a tracker, just longer.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

quarter K

Postby twmccoy » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:02 pm

I was totally unimpressed with the quarter K. I could throw it dead straight but this disc just dies short of every other good longrange driver. IMO the quarter K and wraith are two different echelons of performance. The wraith dusts this thing easily. I'd say the quarter K will fly about as far as an avenger, but I'd take the avenger because it is made of far more durable plastic.

BTW, I love the rim on the QK. It feels great in the hand. Thats about all the praise I have for that disc though.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby mothrows » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:48 pm

Agreed.
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby Smyith » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:43 pm

if you are throwing beaten up QK then its not a fair comparison. the design of the disc is actually supposed to be released at 12-15 degrees of anhyzer at realease. it also heavily depends on weight, the lighter ones fly very straight and the heavier ones are very overstable. sorry but i have to defend it. it defintly is a love hate relationship.

i'd really like to hear what blake has to say about it all.
Smyith
Tree Magnet

QK

Postby trogdor » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:41 am

I really like my Quarter K. I got one of the British Open fundraiser discs when they first came out and still throw that disc. I don't remember when that was, but if you do, you know how old the disc is.

While this is not the disc that was hyped (1/4 kilometer distance), it has become a very useful disc. For me, this disc is goes about as far as a Beast/Flash/Orc, but is much more predictable.

Durability. As I said before, I've been throwing the same QK for several months and while it has some dents and dings, still flys predictable (very much so on hyzer routes) I've hit plenty of objects with this disc including rocks, trees and pavement, :oops: but do not abuse it. (If it is a heavily wooded hole, I probably won't throw it.)

Back to the original post, I would agree. The QK and Wraith are not really the same type of disc. I think the Wraith is going to become the start of a new category of drivers. Like the Aero, Cyclone, Viper, and Valk are in their respective categories.
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Re: QK

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:55 am

[quote="trogdor"]
I think the Wraith is going to become the start of a new category of drivers. quote]

That's the best analysis of the wraith that I've heard. Nothing quite compares to it.

I like to pit different manufactur's disc against each other to see which I prefer (i.e. firebird, predator, illusion). But, I can't quite see where the wraith fits as compared to other drivers.

At times, I have some control issues with it, but sometimes it is my best friend. It's like being married again. :roll:
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:01 pm

the wraith is a high speed pro stable driver. it is quite similar to many discs in its class.

to name a few:
old mold beast
orc
crush
starfire-l
starfire-x
avenger
venom
illusion

these are all discs that are not overstable enough to be pure overstable drivers in the vain of say, a viper, x-clone, banshee, etc., nor are they as predictable as pure overstable discs. these are very power dependent and will fly stable, understable, or overstable depending upon your power and nose angle.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:17 am

Blake, should the wraith be thrown nose down, like an avenger?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

wraith

Postby twmccoy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:27 am

TexasOutlaw wrote:Blake, should the wraith be thrown nose down, like an avenger?

Actually the wraith handles height a little better than an avenger. The avenger seems to rise out of your hand so you have to throw it nose down. I throw the wraith perfectly flat and thats where it stays for the whole flight.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Blake_T » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:31 am

all of those discs must be thrown nose down.
Blake_T

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:46 am

Blake_T wrote:all of those discs must be thrown nose down.

I'll have to do some experimenting. I guess the wraith is more forgiving. My avenger, if I turn it though, it does not come back.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:45 pm

90% of discraft discs require a nose down throw, even some of their slower drivers. many of innova's discs are more forgiving in that regard as they will flatten and turn nose down when started slight nose up. most of their higher speed drivers will not.

if your turned avenger does not come back and it's on a throw shorter than 425', sounds more like off-axis torque than pure turn or not enough height under it.
Blake_T

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:57 pm

I do have torque issues on occasion, and I am also one of those players that throws lower shots. I don't often throw higher than 15 feet or so.

Do you have any articles that I can read up on off axis torque problems? I know I went a period of time where my annhyzers were all rollers and many of my straight shots had some anny angle.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Equipment