Catching your own disc

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Catching your own disc

Postby Benton » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:07 pm

Anyone ever heard that if you make a bad shot, ricochet off a tree right in front of you, and catch the disc before it hits the ground then the stroke doesn’t count? I have had two different people tell me that recently. Luckily it was their shot’s that would have been catchable and not mine.

I doubt the rule is acceptable during a sanctioned event, but maybe casual play?
Benton
Noob

Re: Catching your own disc

Postby JimW » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:52 am

Anything is acceptable in casual play if everyone who is affected by it (yourself if you're just playing for your own score, or the people you're with if you're competing against them) is ok with it. I've heard people bring that situation up myself before.

Definitely not a PDGA rule though; in fact that would be a penalty if you intentionally made an effort to catch the disc.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby ChUcK » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:14 am

That's like the "10 second rule" where if you can run, retrieve your drive, and make it back to the tee in 10 seconds you get a free mulligan. Try using that rule in sanctioned play...
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby Fritz » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:08 pm

That would be an automatic 1 stroke penalty for interference.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Timko » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:51 pm

It would not be a stroke if it was unintentional (you are protecting yourself from being hit).
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Fritz » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:08 pm

Furthur wrote:It would not be a stroke if it was unintentional (you are protecting yourself from being hit).

True, but if you tried to catch it our swat it down, it's a penalty. if you just put up your arms and "block" it and take the hit, it's unintentional.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Timko » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:18 pm

It it was truly unintentional, I would also allow someone to catch it. I come from an ultimate background, so my instinct would be to do that if it was flying towards me.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby black udder » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:06 pm

ChUcK wrote:That's like the "10 second rule" where if you can run, retrieve your drive, and make it back to the tee in 10 seconds you get a free mulligan. Try using that rule in sanctioned play...

ROTFL - I just imagined that. Sooo funny :P
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby PRES 10 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:27 pm

I didn't see it but a pro that I know kicked his disc out of the air in a santioned event. He got the penalty of course, but that would have been sweet to see!

And with my buddies if were messin around we do the 5 second rule! And I have even heard of the 5 second rule that you must rethrow the disc before the 5 sec is up. All of this is for fun of course not done in any type of tournament or competitive play.
Ion|Vector|Leopard|Firebird|Valkyrie|Katana
Soon the MVP Axis!
PRES 10
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ION

Postby Peeete » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:47 am

PRES 10 wrote:I didn't see it but a pro that I know kicked his disc out of the air in a santioned event. He got the penalty of course, but that would have been sweet to see!

Chuck Norris plays disc golf!?
Peeete
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: mmnumnum

Postby BeSquared » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:11 pm

Peeete wrote:
PRES 10 wrote:I didn't see it but a pro that I know kicked his disc out of the air in a santioned event. He got the penalty of course, but that would have been sweet to see!

Chuck Norris doesn't throw the disc to the basket, he throws the basket to the disc.
Meh...
BeSquared
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby matchu » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:15 pm

Benton wrote:Anyone ever heard that if you make a bad shot, ricochet off a tree right in front of you, and catch the disc before it hits the ground then the stroke doesn’t count? I have had two different people tell me that recently. Luckily it was their shot’s that would have been catchable and not mine.

I doubt the rule is acceptable during a sanctioned event, but maybe casual play?

It counts at OCTOBERFRIZ! If the disc comes back to you rethrow no stroke! It actually happened to me.
Synchronize the why’s, the if’s the lies. Shake and sift through the mess. Digress the flesh left is our disguise.

matchu
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby chiggins » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:19 pm

BeSquared wrote:
Peeete wrote:

Chuck Norris doesn't throw the disc to the basket, he throws the basket to the disc.

He's a bad man with a strong putt.

chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby inthedrift » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:19 am

Dayum!! Somebody was pissed that they missed a putt..... :lol:
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Return to Rules Discussion