Merino wool

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Merino wool

Postby JKP » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:55 am

Winter is coming and im curious on how well merino works as a base layer? Is it warm enough to wear with a softshell in 20 degrees? or what do you suggest?
Omega ss-Kc Aviar-Comet-Roc-Vision-Pd-Firebird-Katana
JKP
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: vision

Re: Merino wool

Postby Dogma » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:22 am

I love wool. I've worn Merino wool socks (Smartwool) for more than ten years. Even my dress socks for work are wool. I HATE wearing any other socks. Cotton socks feel terrible, as well as performing really badly.

As for base layers, I've had mixed results. Wool performs well. Broader temperature range than synthetics (and less prone to smelliness), and not affected by moisture the way cotton is. But you have to take care of it. I used to have some wool bike jerseys and they shrank really badly. Like, several sizes. Wool shrinks from friction, not heat. The agitate cycle in a washer can make the fibers contract. I think true merino wool is less prone to this, and modern blends are probably less sensitive than the stuff I had. I suggest not putting it in the dryer, but I don't dry synthetics either. Good wool tends to be expensive, but also very durable so I believe it is worth it.

Overall, wool kicks ass. Whether it will keep you warm at 20 degrees with a softshell is hard to know. Everyone is different, and different clothing comes in different thicknesses. But in my opinion it will do a better job of keeping you comfortable than any other fabric out there.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby mark12b » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:05 pm

it's awesome as a base layer. warmth-wise it's similar to any other base layer of equivalent thickness, but it's more comfortable overall -- if i work up a bit of a sweat it doesn't get all clammy feeling like synthetics.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jnecessary » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:18 pm

I think the comfort when sweating is the key with wool. I have a light weight Smart Wool top which I wear a base layer nearly every time I hit the course in weather below 50. I can wear it under a polo in anything near 45+ and be comfy, I just add my Back Country softshell to be good down to 30ish and below that I put a fleece top over the softshell.
--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Paintball1084 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:37 pm

I have been wearing my back country Merino wool shirt with my new back country softshell while playing the last few weeks here in WI. the temp was about 40ish and i was nice and warm. I just got the coat so i dont know how warm it will keep me when the temp drops but it was keeping me nice and warm while playing the last few weeks

edit: this is what im wearing http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/ ... 0149M.html and http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/ ... 0165M.html
Wraith, Striker, Buzzz, VP
Paintball1084
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wraith; buzzz,VP

Postby jnecessary » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:59 pm

Paintball1084 wrote:I have been wearing my back country Merino wool shirt with my new back country softshell while playing the last few weeks here in WI. the temp was about 40ish and i was nice and warm. I just got the coat so i dont know how warm it will keep me when the temp drops but it was keeping me nice and warm while playing the last few weeks

edit: this is what im wearing http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/ ... 0149M.html and http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/ ... 0165M.html

In my previous post, the Shift is what I wear as well. I just wear the wool top, shift soft shell, and if it is super friggin cold i'll toss a bigger fleece top over the soft shell. I've worn that around 20 and been a bit hot when playing DG
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Paintball1084 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:30 pm

jnecessary wrote:
Paintball1084 wrote:I have been wearing my back country Merino wool shirt with my new back country softshell while playing the last few weeks here in WI. the temp was about 40ish and i was nice and warm. I just got the coat so i dont know how warm it will keep me when the temp drops but it was keeping me nice and warm while playing the last few weeks

In my previous post, the Shift is what I wear as well. I just wear the wool top, shift soft shell, and if it is super friggin cold i'll toss a bigger fleece top over the soft shell. I've worn that around 20 and been a bit hot when playing DG

OH nice that is good to know. Maybe with a warm top layer it will be warm enough for ice fishing. There has been a nice merino wool long sleeve shirt on SAC i keep wanting to buy but havnt yet
Paintball1084
Tree Magnet

Postby JKP » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:39 pm

cheap place to buy it?
Omega ss-Kc Aviar-Comet-Roc-Vision-Pd-Firebird-Katana
JKP
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: vision

Postby Paintball1084 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:46 pm

JKP wrote:cheap place to buy it?

steep and cheap . com has one thing at a time and it comes up every so often. it sells for like 80 but on there is like 34. there are tons of nice stuff on there.
Paintball1084
Tree Magnet

Postby jnecessary » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:50 pm

Yep, that is where I got my SmartWool top, it is great. Also scored a bunch of SmartWool socks on there the other day, best.socks.ever.
--My PDGA--My Trade List
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Paintball1084 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:58 pm

I really wanted to get some of those but i have not seem them on lately. Im still waiting to win more dollar deal!!!!!
Paintball1084
Tree Magnet

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear