Pro Boss

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Pro Boss

Postby discspeed » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:38 pm

This disc deserves its own thread that it doesn't have to share with some redundant Innova midranges...

Anyway, I was playing safari golf on a ball golf course today for a doubles tournament and I was crushing controlled drives with my Pro Boss. I was keeping up with and helping out my partner, who throws much harder than me. I've thrown almost every disc out there and this one goes the farthest for me, hands down. I don't even have to throw it as hard as I can and it is relatively easy to control for such a fast and wide rimmed disc.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: Pro Boss

Postby sharkthrower » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:13 pm

I'm thinking of picking up a lighter weight R-pro Boss.

I tend to stay away from high-speed stuff, but the lighter weights available intrigues me.
sharkthrower
Tree Magnet

Postby discspeed » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:34 pm

Just in case of a misunderstanding I was referring to the normal Pro Boss rather than the R-pro. I think the R-pros bomb for lower power players who don't mind the fact that they are Innova's least durable disc.
discspeed

Postby JimW » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:41 pm

The R-Pro Boss seems pretty pointless with the upcoming release of the Pro Katana.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby discspeed » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:43 pm

JimW wrote:The R-Pro Boss seems pretty pointless with the upcoming release of the Pro Katana.

Yeah, especially the R-pro Katana. I think R-pro is the only plastic they can get the wide rimmed discs to weigh really light.
discspeed

Postby black udder » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:46 pm

R-pro boss I have @ 164g goes no further than any of my other distance drivers. I'm only throwing 330' range. I think if you can get out to 400' maybe the Boss is helpful for distance. Having said that, I couple friends who only throw around 300' backhand are able to get it out to that distance consistently, whereas other discs are hit or miss.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby discspeed » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:49 pm

black udder wrote:R-pro boss I have @ 164g goes no further than any of my other distance drivers. I'm only throwing 330' range. I think if you can get out to 400' maybe the Boss is helpful for distance. Having said that, I couple friends who only throw around 300' backhand are able to get it out to that distance consistently, whereas other discs are hit or miss.

Try 10 grams lighter. I've seen masters/grandmasters aged players throwing 400' who usually only throw in your range.
discspeed

Postby Jeronimo » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:57 pm

It absolutely PAINS me to admit this because of my infatuation with Riots... but I have to agree with Discspeed. This is the longest disc i've ever thrown. For $10 a disc this is my new "throw it anywhere" driver...

Riots still own for long bomb golf shots and I still reach for them first, but man... the pro boss bombs...
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby JR » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:54 pm

Actually R-Pro Boss isn't that fragile as long as it doesn't take tree or rock hits at say under 300'. This is not the crap that R-Pro Dart is made of. DX 150 Wraiths and Destroyers are at least as fragile as light R-Pro Bosses. All of these are delicate and for any kind of longevity they need to be thrown in open places with soft landing areas or top pro accuracy to avoid catastrophic damage.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby IShouldBePlaying » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:43 pm

I'm going nuts over the Pro Boss. I picked one 175 up when they came out and absolutely fell in love with it. I ended up going back and buying 4 more of the same shipment. My previous distance record was 430ft with a champion boss same weight. And at my last tournament last weekend I threw 470ft with no wind and level fairway. The controlled turn on this disc and the glide make a huge difference. Lets just say my local store no longer has any Pro Bosses. I'm glad to see someone on here noticed how awesome this disc is.

The durability is also very good. better than a lot of pro plastic....or at least mine is.
"If only I could ace every hole"
IShouldBePlaying
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pro Boss

Postby LumberJack » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:28 pm

If I had the arm I'd love to throw a pro Boss. I love the pro plastic. I have a couple r-pro Bosses and they bomb but they don't last. I'd probably go through 6 or 7 of them a season and that's with no trees or cement. The investment outweighs the performance for me but I'm curious to throw the pro Katana. So, for the time being I'll just stick with valks and PD's.
Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby twmccoy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:40 pm

What makes the pro boss better than the pro destroyer? I've thrown a couple pro destroyers and thought they were garbage. WAY flippy, to the point where anything I threw ended up eating grass to the right and rolling.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Mike C » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:58 am

What weight was the destroyer? I had a 167 that threw the way you describe, super flippy and worthless IMO. I have a 175 that flies like a faster firebird, just like it's supposed to. Both pro plastic.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby discspeed » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:07 am

twmccoy wrote:What makes the pro boss better than the pro destroyer? I've thrown a couple pro destroyers and thought they were garbage. WAY flippy, to the point where anything I threw ended up eating grass to the right and rolling.

Garrett Gurthie can throw a 169g Pro Destroyer over 600', and he has the most powerful throw in disc golf. Either you got a freak, or its not the disc...The pro Destroyers I threw were as stable as any of the champs or stars. Stiff with a poppy top.
discspeed

Postby jnecessary » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:01 am

discspeed wrote:
twmccoy wrote:What makes the pro boss better than the pro destroyer? I've thrown a couple pro destroyers and thought they were garbage. WAY flippy, to the point where anything I threw ended up eating grass to the right and rolling.

Garrett Gurthie can throw a 169g Pro Destroyer over 600', and he has the most powerful throw in disc golf. Either you got a freak, or its not the disc...The pro Destroyers I threw were as stable as any of the champs or stars. Stiff with a poppy top.

In my experience most poppy top pro Destroyers are stable to freaky stable out of the box, only bad form is gonna roll them. I like pro wraiths in the high 160's and they are plenty stable when new and become great tailwind and open space max D drivers pretty quickly.
--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Roc

Next

Return to Equipment