Snakes

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What do you do when you see a snake?

Try to catch it or stimulate it to aggression.
14%
Grab nearest object and erase it from the earth.
5%
Give it a wide berth.
14%
Take a moment to carefully observe it and move on.
67%

Total votes : 57

Re: Snakes

Postby domromer » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:00 am

Snakes are a funny thing with me. I think most snakes are bad ass. When I see them I love to check them out and try to take pictures of them. The exception is rattlesnakes. I hate rattlesnakes with an unnatural passion. Living in AZ we have a lot of rattlesnakes, I hike a lot in the desert and pretty much every hike I take I have some sort of shitty rattlesnake experience. Snakes buzzing a foot away from my knee in a wash that my wife just walked through with no problems. So to sum it up I hate rattlesnakes. In fact if it wasn't for bad karma I'd shoot every fucking rattlesnake that I see. Now that being said I've never hurt one and I don't plan on it. But I feel the world would be a better place without them.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby discspeed » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:37 am

domromer wrote:Snakes are a funny thing with me. I think most snakes are bad ass. When I see them I love to check them out and try to take pictures of them. The exception is rattlesnakes. I hate rattlesnakes with an unnatural passion. Living in AZ we have a lot of rattlesnakes, I hike a lot in the desert and pretty much every hike I take I have some sort of shitty rattlesnake experience. Snakes buzzing a foot away from my knee in a wash that my wife just walked through with no problems. So to sum it up I hate rattlesnakes. In fact if it wasn't for bad karma I'd shoot every fucking rattlesnake that I see. Now that being said I've never hurt one and I don't plan on it. But I feel the world would be a better place without them.

Just try and separate from your personal feelings to get some perspective. Poisonous snakes have evolved very successfully over millions of years. Their venom is designed #1 as a means of subduing prey, #2 as means of defense. To many they are beautiful and fascinating. Modern man is a disease of this planet, and poisonous snakes are one of the few things that can still induce fear (one of their greatest pitfalls imo). Poisonous snakes eat rodents, which historically have threatened man in a myriad of ways and caused much more death and destruction than the snakes themselves (plague/other diseases, contamination of food supplies, destruction of property, EATING THE FRUIT FROM MY TREES (personal), etc.

Now lets look at rattlesnakes in particular. I think they are some of the MOST beautiful snakes (look at the Eastern Diamondback and tell me its not beautifully patterned). Unlike cobras, mambas, and many other deadly snakes found across the globe, rattlers have SEVERAL kind adaptations to avoid wasting their precious venom on a non-prey item. First they have heat sensitive pits that basically give them infrared vision. They can sense humans as a large heat source and tend to go the other way as soon as they notice you from a decent distance. They also sense large vibrations which they tend to flee from. If those fail and you get close, they actually rattle and go through a whole string of pre-strike defensive behaviors such as coiling and slowly moving away. It is only when all of these fail that people actually get bitten.

Now there is a mounting body of evidence to suggest that stupid humans are actually affecting the evolution of rattlesnakes. Over thousands of years every other large animal has heeded the rattle as a warning and left the snakes alone, reinforcing and naturally selecting the rattling behavior of rattlesnakes. Loud rattles and loud rattling behavior was successful and the tendencies were passed on. Humans, as the idiots that we are, tend to KILL the rattlesnakes that give us fair warning, and coincidentally leave the more dangerous snakes that lie silent and are not noticed. So over the past couple hundred years of europeans settling this continent we have actually selected the quieter, more dangerous rattlers to survive and pass on their genes. So now rattlers have become more dangerous thanks to our gung-ho, kill happy behavior.

I very much appreciate your refrain from killing rattlers. Hopefully you can come to understand that the world is a BETTER place with them around. If everything that is dangerous to us in the wild is eradicated, there will be no wild places for us to enjoy the beauty and adventure of.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby domromer » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:52 am

I was kinda being sarcastic about the world being a better place. I just would never like to run into them every time I hike.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby discspeed » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:58 am

domromer wrote:I was kinda being sarcastic about the world being a better place. I just would never like to run into them every time I hike.

I'm actually jealous as I go on hikes just to look for them :lol:
discspeed

Postby domromer » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:46 am

Well next time you're in AZ we'll play a round and look for snakes.

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby discspeed » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:50 am

domromer wrote:Well next time you're in AZ we'll play a round and look for snakes.

For sure! I've done some hiking around Tucson and I caught a Gila monster, but I didn't see any snakes.
discspeed

Postby domromer » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:14 pm

I found the coolest Gila Monster up on the AZ Strip a few weeks ago. I wish I took a picture. The coloring was an amazing pinkish orange.

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby niblick83 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:25 pm

You forgot the "Scream like a little girl and run away option." I haven't been surprised badly enough yet to do this because, fortunately for my peace of mind, my home course doesn't have too many snakes but I feel it will happen one of these days. I could manage to deal with a snake if someone is around that knows them but in my own ignorance I don't feel comfortable around them. My policy on snakes is to let them do their thing and I will continue on with my thing. I haven't killed one ever nor do I plan to but it is definitely nice to know that there are people around who will come relocate snakes that take up residence in unwanted areas. I will keep this in mind if I am ever in this situation.
niblick83
Tree Magnet

Postby domromer » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:31 pm

I found the coolest Gila Monster up on the AZ Strip a few weeks ago. I wish I took a picture. The coloring was an amazing pinkish orange.

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby Jeronimo » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:46 pm

F%$& Snakes... if they come toward me, they die. Otherwise gtf-away from me you little slimy, slithering bastard.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Jsw » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:25 pm

Snakes are cool, I like to just check them out for a few minutes - satisfy my curiosity and move on.

Spiders though :shock: No thanks.

One time I was coming down the fairway to my lie on 18, I throw my second shot - and when I reached down to pick up my disc and just as I did this huge wolf(i think) spider skirts out onto it my disc - I almost grabbed it :shock:

I yanked my hand away and yelped like a little girl. :lol:

And the kicker was, while this thing was on my disc - BABY SPIDERS crawled off its' back( i guess the carry their young on their back?? :shock: ) and were wandering around on my driver. It was a spider-haters' worst nightmare.
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby discspeed » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:28 pm

Jeronimo wrote:F%$& Snakes... if they come toward me, they die. Otherwise gtf-away from me you little slimy, slithering bastard.

Closet homosexual... :lol:
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:46 pm

Here's my corn snake taking down a very big mouse.

Going...
Going...
Gone.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:49 pm

Here's my new yellow rat snake taking his first meal and basking in the heat lamp afterwards in a reptilian food coma.

discspeed

Postby Jeronimo » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:20 pm

Waste of a mouse and rat. :lol:
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.