distance test vol. 2

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

distance test vol. 2

Postby twmccoy » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:51 pm

Okay, I took some discs to the park for a head to head distance competition today. Here's what got thrown: (about 8 throws ea) I have indicated the placing of each disc (1-12)

Star wraith 172g- 3
Pro wraith 171g- 1
Pro wraith 174g- 5
Spectra 172g- 2
Champ. Orc 172g- 9
Flash 167g- 11
Champ. Valk. 167g- 8
Illusion 175g- 10
Pro Starfire 167g- 4
Quarter K 169g- 12
Champ Sidewinder 158g- 7
DX Orc 172g- 6

It was about 50 degrees with no wind and I was throwing on a flat grass field.

The longest disc for me (consistently) was the 171 white pro wraith. This disc would flip really slightly and then just cruise. I got it out past 420' easily. The pink pro wraith however was noticeably more overstable and hard to flex out. The longest throw of the day was with the pro starfire. It caught a bit of an updraft and went out to 440' or so. The shortest disc was the quarter K. This disc flew straight and glided OK but just died short of the rest every time. The top 8 discs were within about 20' of each other and the others were about 10' behind them. The valk and sidewinder actually held their own pretty well. I was able to hyzer-flip the sidewinder out a long way. The valk I'd just release flat and let it s curve. Both were going 400' no problem.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:19 pm

dont forget to mention the 5280 elevation ;-)

Ive been having similar results with my sidewinder (172), Im getting easier (less power) distance than my CFR wraith (also 172) , yet the wraith still takes the crown (by about 20'). But its rare to need that extra d. so wind permitting the sidewinder takes a seat as one of my most thrown drivers.

I like to hear the spectra performed so well, Im looking forward to getting one (ive only thrown one a couple times). How does it compare in stability to a Pro wraith, or a valk?
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:03 am

spectra stability most closely resembles a dx valk imo.

flips up, holds a gradual turn, finishes late.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

spectra

Postby twmccoy » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:57 am

In calm conditions I can release the spectra with just a touch of hyzer. It will turn over just the tiniest bit and then cruise flat forever. I don't really get any fade from it. Mine just goes straight until it hits the ground. I would compare it to a light beast or champ valk for stability. This disc is so easy to throw far it is ridiculous. I honestly feel that lesser arms will achieve their best throws ever with this disc. It is as fast as the wraith if not faster. BTW, I love throwing sidewinders, but on the course I am very inconsistent with them. I either flip them or put too much hyzer on it and it veers left.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:26 am

I'm curious how the x avenger would compare.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

X avenger

Postby twmccoy » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:46 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:I'm curious how the x avenger would compare.

I have an X avenger and for me it is noticeably shorter than all these discs I threw. I still love it though because it has teebird predictability and more speed and distance. The avenger just isn't a max distance disc, but I still find myself reaching for it often.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:12 pm

Im on the same boat, I carry an z avenger for precictable 350'-415' range shots that finish left. I plan on getting a couple x avengers also (likely to replace the spot my Z flash has held for a long while...)

I throw my z avenger more than any driver in my bag, its not often I need to throw 415', but when I do thats what the wraith is for.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby presidio hills » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:40 am

you couldn't throw the illusion as far as a wraith etc...
damn, that is definitely the farthest flying thing for me. i throw a 169 in the S plastic. i LOVE it for distance and very low cieling shots.
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

illusion

Postby twmccoy » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:41 am

presidio hills wrote:you couldn't throw the illusion as far as a wraith etc...
damn, that is definitely the farthest flying thing for me. i throw a 169 in the S plastic. i LOVE it for distance and very low cieling shots.

The wraiths I was throwing were gliding a lot better than the illusion. Maybe if I had a lighter Illusion I'd be Ok, but mine is heavy. Feels just like a wraith in your hand though. The rim is really wide.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Blake_T » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:01 pm

the wraith does glide more than an illusion.

an illusion has more high speed penetration.
Blake_T

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:06 pm

So the wraith is one of the longest discs available at the moment?

I hate to repeat myself, but what Gateway/Discraft discs do y'all think resembles the wraith the most? Or is the wraith opening a new era of high speed drivers?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:31 pm

the wraith is not opening a new era, considering that it is very similar to discs before it and had similar results to discs before it.

valkyrie = ~5-10% longer than a teebird (on a low golf line)
beast = valkyrie d + more stability
orc = ~5-10% longer than a valkyrie
starfire = orc d + more stability
wraith = ~4-8% longer than an orc

basically, each era stems from molds that were truly new and unique for the times. there are also loose and strict classifications.

the one of the loosest could be said to be the cyclone through the firebird (1993-early 2000) because they share fairly strong similarities in key characteristics. a stricter classification would be cyclone through the x2 (1993-1997) as things changed significantly between those and the eagle and xl (1998).

overall, i really don't see anything new and significant from the wraith that hasn't already been done, it just happens to be a refined version of what is already current.
Blake_T

drivers

Postby twmccoy » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:23 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:So the wraith is one of the longest discs available at the moment?

I hate to repeat myself, but what Gateway/Discraft discs do y'all think resembles the wraith the most? Or is the wraith opening a new era of high speed drivers?

I'd say the Illusion is probably the gateway disc most similar to a wraith. I do honestly think that the wraith is in a class of its own though. The only other disc I throw that can keep up with it distancewise is the spectra. Since the wraith is more overstable is is more consistent than the spectra.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Return to Equipment