Putter Weight

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Putter Weight

Postby steezo » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:04 pm

I have been putting with wizards, i got the 5 for 30 deal and they are not all the same weight. mainly around 174g. Today i got to try a buddies JK Pro Aviar-x in a 157g . i really liked the putter, real grippy-the 157g felt good but im sure a heavier one would have to be used in the wind. So what does everyone else like weight wize in a putter and why? BTW I might have to trade away some of my wizards for some jk pro aviar-x, just not my proto wizards-i love those. 8)
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:32 pm

I used to throw strictly 175g thinking if i miss they wouldnt go as far, and that they would be more predictable (and for the most part both are true). But if anything they dropped too hard, so for a while I carried one 175 for 30' and in, and something around 167 for the longer. The heavy one would fall off to hard and sharp for my style putts.

Now I carry 3 identical putters all 172, its the perfect weight for long puts, and hasnt failed me for the short (really id say its your feel/exsperience).

I bet you will be hearing alot of heavier is better, and for the most part, I agree.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:46 pm

i carry multiple weights of putters.

heavier for drives. max stability.

medium (169-172) for finesse approaches. these will carry farther with low-powered throws. a lot of the time i throw a little wrist flick backhand shot that i want to carry 75'. a heavier putter often will not carry this far, but go too far if i put more power behind it.

light (165-167) for putts. with my putting style i putt mostly with snap and use very little throw motion to power the putt. if you choose a stable mold, the disc should be stable enough to withstand most wind even in lighter weights. i find on longer putts, a lighter putter will often carry upwards of 20% farther than a heavier putter, e.g. 40' vs. 30' with the same power.

as for what you will need for putter weight, a lot of it is dictated by style. if you putt w/ a wizard, banger, challenger, big bead aviar, rhyno, classic roc, bulldog, or magnet, these discs will be stable enough to hold a line into winds of ~30 mph if you putt flat or nose down.

if you putt nose up or with understable putters, you will need a heavier putter to reduce float. on flat and nose down putts you will find that lighter putters will carry better into many winds, especially head and tailwinds.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Solty » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:16 am

i use a 171 soft wiz for my longer putts...i use a 175 banger for my long putts over 75-80 ft and i use it as my short midrange discs as well. i do always carry an 86 softie so if i miss....the disc dies dead when it hits the ground
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

putters

Postby twmccoy » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:13 pm

I actually prefer a heavier putter so I don't get as much wind interference. My banger GT is only 168g, but I would have selected a heavier one if the store had one. I also putt with the spider because it is flatter and easy to put on a straight line.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:14 am

I am using both a 175 proto wizard and 175 banger GT. I like max weight putters. Although, I'm not sure if I can explain why, I have experimented with different weights at different distances and find that the 175 putters are the ones I can get in the chains.

When I switched to wizards, I got the 5 for 30 deal of varying weights from 170-175. The one I was more consistent with was a 175 firm, less consistent was a 170.

I carried the 170 for approach shots but found that my 175 firm was longer.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby steezo » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:33 pm

Hey Blake, what are your thoughts on the special edition soft rhyno putter? I used one today in this Texas cold-front 20-25 mph wind and it held up nicely. Also, I used an older run, that has the dimple in the middle. Are the later ones, with the smoother plastic just the same? I really like the soft feel of the older run putter.
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Roc_n_Roll » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:44 pm

I love the Special edition soft rhynos. They are my main putter I carry 2 of em and have 3 more on the way from a buddy of mine. So far both of the ones I throw are the older runs. Very gummy feeling to me...I haven't dealt with any others yet...maybe when I get my others though....who knows

:twisted:
Someday......I will get that ACE!
Roc_n_Roll
Noob

Postby steezo » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:53 pm

I love soft feeling putters, which is why i was about to order some jk aviar-x, but after throwing with the se soft rhynos, i think im going to have get some of those instead.
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Postby sleepy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:53 pm

steezo wrote:I love soft feeling putters, which is why i was about to order some jk aviar-x, but after throwing with the se soft rhynos, i think im going to have get some of those instead.

I was thinking about throwing jk aviar-x's instead of my aviar p&a since I too like soft putters.

How does the stability of the three compare? I would think it is the p&a, then the jk x, then the rhyno in order from least to most stable...am I right? Also, how much more stable than the jk x is the rhyno?

Thanks,

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby steezo » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:08 pm

I just played with the se rhyno today (very windy) and it was more stable than the jk aviar-x, i would say that the se rhyno was just like my firm proto wizard, but more overstable at the end of the flight. my proto wizard flew great today in the wind, it just doesn't feel as nice and grippy as the se rhyno. I haven't thrown nor putted with an aviar p&a, so i cant comment on it.
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Postby steezo » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:12 pm

also, i could be wrong, but when someone says less stable, then it makes me think understable, which none of these putters are, i bevelive they all are overstable putters with the se phyno being the most overstable(at the end of the flight) I could be wrong though, im sure someone else with more knowledge will post later with more help. :)
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Jwt4412 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:26 pm

I have 4 pro line rhynos 174g, 174g, 174g, and 167 on EBAY ending tonight if you are interested.

I have switched to soft wizards.

Just hit a 55 footer this afternoon and all I can say is "Hell, Yes!"...
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby Roc_n_Roll » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:32 pm

Pro line rhynos aren't quite the same as the SE Soft Rhynos.....The SE is a very textured plastic where as the pro line is a little more smooth...I always prefer the SE to any other rhyno...although the newer "pro" rhynos are nice a flimsy for those shorter putts...but I still prefer the old SE

:twisted:
Someday......I will get that ACE!
Roc_n_Roll
Noob

Postby Jwt4412 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:36 pm

Roc,

I am now so informed...

Thanks.

What do you think of the Soft Wizard?
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef