Wickham Park

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Wickham Park

Postby BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:06 pm

Anybody played Wickam Park in Melbourne, FL? If so how is it (short/long, tight/open, or a good mix)? I have family there and will be down for Thanksgiving and that course is really close to where I am staying. I am flying and have to pack light so I'm trying to figure out which discs to take.
This is unbelievable disc that acts like space ship. -lovetodg-

Wizard / Roc / Comet / Banshee / Eagle / OLF
BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: DX Eagle

Re: Wickham Park

Postby jeremy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:01 am

This course has a good mix of holes, and well worth playing. It's not a long course and not a pitch and putt. It is well designed, mowed, easy to navigate, not wooded, but has a lot of palmettos to loose a disc in. I beleive 2 holes have water and shouldn't really affect you though.
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 178gr Comet

Postby Aubin » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:24 am

haha i thought this was Wickham in Connecticut... which is closed in the winter (and absolutely worth the trip if you're near!)
ChallengerMagnetCometTeebirdsDestroyersPredator
Aubin
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: APX

Postby BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:39 am

Awesome, looking forward to shooting a round or two. Thanks for the info Jeremy.

BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome
Fairway Surgeon

Postby rodman20 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:31 am

Home course for myself. Were you just down for the holidays? If your still in the area let me know. Maybe we could meet up and shoot a round.
rodman20
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Teebird/Roc

Postby discspeed » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:26 am

jeremy wrote:I beleive 2 holes have water and shouldn't really affect you though.

Are you kidding me? One hole you have to throw across a lake...You must choose to lay up safe and left leaving 350' second shot over water, land a 340-375' shot on a narrow strip of beach between the lake and a swamp, or go balls out 400+ over the lake and keep your disc from fading or skipping left into the swamp OB. BTW...its almost always windy there.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby rodman20 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:39 pm

discspeed wrote:
jeremy wrote:I beleive 2 holes have water and shouldn't really affect you though.

Are you kidding me? One hole you have to throw across a lake...You must choose to lay up safe and left leaving 350' second shot over water, land a 340-375' shot on a narrow strip of beach between the lake and a swamp, or go balls out 400+ over the lake and keep your disc from fading or skipping left into the swamp OB. BTW...its almost always windy there.

That hole is only for the melbourne open. We have 17 that has a canal on the right and the pin about 400 and to the right so the turnover shot can get scary. 18 is over a lake but its only 270 to the basket and about 230 to the land.
rodman20
Tree Magnet

Postby discspeed » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:35 am

rodman20 wrote:
discspeed wrote:

That hole is only for the melbourne open. We have 17 that has a canal on the right and the pin about 400 and to the right so the turnover shot can get scary. 18 is over a lake but its only 270 to the basket and about 230 to the land.

I see. I've never played a casual round there. Too bad...that hole is killer!
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby jeremy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:26 am

I have never played the Open there. Was going to one year and then I got sick. I've only played the course once, and that was about 4 years ago. The only thing I didn't like was looking for my disc in the Palmettos on the hole befoe the back side of the course.
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 178gr Comet

Postby rodman20 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:29 am

jeremy wrote:I have never played the Open there. Was going to one year and then I got sick. I've only played the course once, and that was about 4 years ago. The only thing I didn't like was looking for my disc in the Palmettos on the hole befoe the back side of the course.

Yes the Saw palmettos here have gotten quite an appetite for dics and can be very reluctant to give them back.
rodman20
Tree Magnet

Postby BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:07 am

The palmettos also like to carefully hide large black snacks next to the disc you throw into them! I reached in to one to grab my Comet and almost grabbed hold of a rat snake (I think) instead.

It is a really nice course, and I enjoyed playing it. I shot decent round, I think I finished -1 from the shorts. I will be back in FL sometime after the first of the year and I may have a chance to play Melbourne and Tampa courses this time. I would like to play from the longs at Wickham next time as it looked like there were some opportunities to really mash one.

BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome
Fairway Surgeon

Postby rodman20 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:26 am

BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome wrote:The palmettos also like to carefully hide large black snacks next to the disc you throw into them! I reached in to one to grab my Comet and almost grabbed hold of a rat snake (I think) instead.

It is a really nice course, and I enjoyed playing it. I shot decent round, I think I finished -1 from the shorts. I will be back in FL sometime after the first of the year and I may have a chance to play Melbourne and Tampa courses this time. I would like to play from the longs at Wickham next time as it looked like there were some opportunities to really mash one.

Hmmm There are only two holes where we have short pads so im not sure what you mean from the longs. We do have three different pin positions but currently the course is set up mostly long.
rodman20
Tree Magnet

Postby JimW » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:44 am

BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome wrote:I will be back in FL sometime after the first of the year and I may have a chance to play Melbourne and Tampa courses this time.

Let me know if you'll be in the Tampa Bay area
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Return to Courses