XXX

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

XXX

Postby discspeed » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:18 pm

I decided to buy my first Lat 64 disc to try today. The only slot in my bag that is up for trials right now is my overstable utility disc. In the past 5 years I've only used Firebirds and Preds, and I've been using a FB for all of the past year. My issue with the Firebird is that it is a little too short and overstable as a bh/fh disc. It is also slow which makes its range a little too affected by the wind. So I decided to check out the XXX.

It felt really good in my hand to begin with. It is larger diameter than the FB, just as flat, and it felt a tad bit deeper with a slightly larger wing. The plastic feels great as well. I bought a purple that weighs 175.9 on my scale. Today there was a storm front moving in and it was extremely windy. 20mph base with 30+ gusts, so I really had good testing conditions for the slot this disc is aspiring to fill.

Basically the disc kicked ass. Forehand and backhand it flew on perfect hyzers and flex shots into headwinds and against crosswinds. It didn't get bounced around up and down or side to side. I parked holes like it had been in my bag for years. It flies at FB stability but with upgraded speed and glide. Its movement also seemed smoother than my FB, which has more of a jointed flight. FH I sometimes get a little OAT with my FB, especially into strong headwinds. This didn't happen at all with the XXX. Overall it was unquestionably longer and more effortless than the FB without losing any of the FB's advantages. It seemed slightly shorter than the Z Pred, but definitely more wind resistant and true flying. This disc tested better in it's first day than any other I've tried in the past couple of years, especially considering the conditions (its hard to compare it to the Stalker as it is a disc type of a more predictable nature).

The only shot I didn't really get to test with it because of the wind were thumbers. I love throwing thumbers and if it doesn't perform that would be the only thing that could possibly keep it from replacing my FBs completely. I also don't really want it to break in, but the plastic and mold feel very durable, so I'm not anticipating that. The overall shape of the disc reminds me of a longer winged Xtra. Now its looking like I'm going to have 4 manufacturers in my bag. 8)
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: XXX

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:30 pm

discspeed wrote: Overall it was unquestionably longer and more effortless than the FB without losing any of the FB's advantages. It seemed slightly shorter than the Z Pred, but definitely more wind resistant and true flying.

this perfectly describes how the XXX flies for me. Jesse says it goes farther than the Pred but I can't get it out that far.

It is a great thumber disc. I don't think you will be disappointed with it in that regard.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Mason65 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:18 pm

discspeed wrote:The only shot I didn't really get to test with it because of the wind were thumbers. I love throwing thumbers and if it doesn't perform that would be the only thing that could possibly keep it from replacing my FBs completely. I also don't really want it to break in, but the plastic and mold feel very durable, so I'm not anticipating that. The overall shape of the disc reminds me of a longer winged Xtra. Now its looking like I'm going to have 4 manufacturers in my bag. 8)

The XXX is one of the only L64 molds I haven't tried. I've had Firebirds in my bag longer than any other molds and I'm afraid this would give them the boot! I had a Core in the bag since the beginning of the year, and finally cut the flashing off a month ago to get it to go straighter. No signs of any wear in the Opto plastic for me.

L64 really makes some great stuff, although I've been auditioning the Buzzz recently because they can be had cheaply locally at Academy now and because the recent domey Cores aren't up to snuff for me.
Destroyer*XXX*Eagle*Roc*Ion

Golden Retrieved: 18
Mason65
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The pink one

Postby Strauss » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:15 pm

="mason65]
I've had Firebirds in my bag longer than any other molds and I'm afraid this would give them the boot!

I feel the same way about my Predators! I've been wanting to try the XXX as well, but like yourself my Predators have been in my bag the longest out of any other mold and would feel like a traitor kicking them out!

Today while I was at the course my friend let me throw his Star Firebird for a round of 18 and I must say I really liked it. I think I'm gonna pick myself up a XXX and a Firebird just for the heck of it. The way I see it is if the disc is good enough to kick my Preds out of the bag, it well be well worth it.
Pred/PD's/Gazelle/Wraith
Core/Fuse/Ridge
Strauss
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD's of all kinds!

Postby discspeed » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:28 pm

I think the big diameter is the key to the XXX glide. 21.5 is closer to a Roc than a Firebird. I now have fwy drivers @ 21.5 and 21.6 (Stalker) and I'm really liking this new trend.
discspeed

Postby AciDBatH666 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:39 pm

I think I'm gonna seek out an XXX. First I've really heard about it honestly. My champion firebird is turning a little too stable on me... Turning over a little too late. Just getting old and slightly beat. I bought another one, but it's obviously not the same as the old school mold I was using for years.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby LumberJack » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:42 pm

I throw a lot of skip shots. In fact, other than throwing a putter, skipping a pred is my next best shot. And IMO no other disc on the planet skips like a Z Predator(not that I'm experienced with every disc on the planet...lol). Did you skip the xXx? When I threw Firebirds, 12x variety, they were about 15-20' shorter than my Pred on the same line. How much shorter are we talking than a Pred? A seasoned Z Pred is sneaky long. I know... I should just go buy one and find out for myself because that is the only way I'll really know. It's supposed to snow tomorrow... it's Boooolshist! And we just found out that they're not going to plow our park at all this year and keep the gate locked... more Booolshist! Anyway... xXx is gonna get a ride in my bag snow or not.
Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby adamschneider » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:39 am

I'd still like to know how the underside of a XXX compares to a Firebird and a Predator, shape-wise. I find the bottom of the rim on a Firebird to be much more "comfortable" in the hand (less sharp?) than a Predator, which is why I prefer it for overhead shots.
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 164g Halo

Postby Spike » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:06 am

adamschneider wrote:I'd still like to know how the underside of a XXX compares to a Firebird and a Predator, shape-wise. I find the bottom of the rim on a Firebird to be much more "comfortable" in the hand (less sharp?) than a Predator, which is why I prefer it for overhead shots.

Of those three, Triple X has the smoothest underside of the rim. Much smoother than Pred and slightly more than Firebird. Very comfortable grip.
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

Postby adamschneider » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:55 am

Spike wrote:Of those three, Triple X has the smoothest underside of the rim. Much smoother than Pred and slightly more than Firebird. Very comfortable grip.

Aw hell. Now I gotta go buy one...
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 164g Halo

Postby discspeed » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:31 am

LumberJack wrote:I throw a lot of skip shots. In fact, other than throwing a putter, skipping a pred is my next best shot. And IMO no other disc on the planet skips like a Z Predator(not that I'm experienced with every disc on the planet...lol). Did you skip the xXx? When I threw Firebirds, 12x variety, they were about 15-20' shorter than my Pred on the same line. How much shorter are we talking than a Pred? A seasoned Z Pred is sneaky long. I know... I should just go buy one and find out for myself because that is the only way I'll really know. It's supposed to snow tomorrow... it's Boooolshist! And we just found out that they're not going to plow our park at all this year and keep the gate locked... more Booolshist! Anyway... xXx is gonna get a ride in my bag snow or not.

I threw Preds for years and I would say the skip is very comparable. I have had some really overstable Z Preds as well (flat, stiff Zs), and the XXX goes as far as they did. In other words, the only thing keeping the XXX from getting as much hyzer D as your average Pred is its stability. It is more overstable. What I like about the XXX is that it is flatter and lower profile than the Pred, but still gets good glide/carry. My favorite Preds were domey and this would cause them to get weird lifts and drops on windy days. The XXX cut the wind much better.
discspeed

Postby Jesse B 707 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:43 am

yeah i haven't been praising this disc for the past 8 or 9 months for no reason :wink:
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby smarkquart » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:58 am

I must be a magnet for freakish discs or something. My XXX has almost no glide and I get barely can any distance from it. I am talking midrange distance. It is very predictable, with excellent pin-point accuracy for the distance I am going to get.

It is clearish, 169 grams, and bought when they were first available in the US, if that makes any difference.

Then again, I have been trying to throw them flat, or with a little anhyzer hoping to get it to glide. Have not tried any type of hyzer or height or anything like that with it. After reading through this thread, I am seriously considering taking it out for another try. I have a 150 Flick for thumbers but I will take a few tosses that way too.
smarkquart
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Depends on the month

Postby Leopard » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:30 am

the thing just LOOKS like the best Firebird ever

somehow i still haven't thrown one. but i've been highly recommending it for 8 months in the store :lol:
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Luke » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:00 am

I have some of those first run super flat ones, that Jesse likes, for sale.
Luke
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Next

Return to Equipment