DG Injuries...

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

DG Injuries...

Postby discspeed » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:50 pm

I'm not sure where we should stick this, but this thread should be stickied to the top or be a forum of its own. Someone else mentioned this recently and I think its an awesome idea.

Anyway, uggghhh, I sprained my right ankle today. Nothing real major, but I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to go for my tournament this weekend. I'm staying optimistic, but it will be a game time decision. Right now my angle joint is the size of a racquetball rather than a golf ball like my left foot. I can walk, but the twisting in my throw might be a problem. I may just move back to ADV and stand and deliver if I can't run up. Its not a long course and I really don't want to have to sit the tournament out.

It was pretty unlucky how it happened (unlike my last ankle sprain which was caused by my own stupidity). I was walking to the next hole while playing when I realized I left a disc. Some people were about to tee off on the hole so I broke into a jog to quickly retrieve it before they threw. We had some storms last night so there was a bunch of spanish moss on the ground. As I ran over some of it there was a piece of a branch under the moss where I stepped and I rolled my angle. I felt my ankle give and I didn't want to try and catch myself and hurt it more, so I went into a tuck and roll. I probably minimized the damage, but I did not get out unscathed.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: DG Injuries...

Postby peppermack » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:06 pm

When I first started playing I threw 100% forehand on everything except putting and when I started getting better and really throwing the shit out of it, I pulled a lower stomach muscle on my right side that took forever to get better. That was a real bitch to play with. That is really the only major injury directly from DG for me. I have sciatic back problems that DG can make worse but that is an old Volleyball/basketball injury from college so that does not really count.
S PD, Firebird, KC Pro/Champ Gazelle, Buzz, Rhyno, ESP Drone, Ion
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Postby what'shisname » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:29 pm

There definitely should be a gimp section.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Timko » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:41 pm

Boom, and there's now a new forum section.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby discspeed » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:00 pm

I'm going to take tomorrow off and sit on my ass so hopefully I can recover enough to play. I've had a lot of sprains and this one is pretty mild. Its also a high sprain, so I'm hoping the DG motions will not irritate it too much. BTW...I finished the last hole even after I hurt myself...I think I've been watching too much football.
discspeed

Postby corey115 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:48 pm

I broke my hand when I was throwing once. One of my friends was--unknown to me--standing too close when I was throwing. I hit him on the cheekbone on my follow through. I knocked him out and gave him a concussion, and I broke the metacarpal below my pinky finger. It was broken so bad that I had surgery on it about an hour later to have a pin inserted to straighten the bone out. Two and half months of lefty disc golf. Oh, and this happened the first day of my summer break off from school.

Now whenever there is a tree even remotely close to the area where I follow through, I instinctively curl up after I release, resulting in poor shots. I just can't see to shake it from my mind.
Predator | Avenger | Boss | Drone | Buzzz | Yeti
corey115
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Lithicon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:21 pm

Holy sheet! Yeah, I've actually thought about that. A few holes around my house have Tree's right next to the right side of the Tee and I've thought about hitting them. But, never hit anyone, or actually hit a tree. I usually end up getting bad shots too. That's terrible!
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby corey115 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:50 pm

It has been at least two years since it happened and it's still very much on my mind. It didn't help that the doctor said another injury to that part of my hand would be very hard to fix due to it's susceptibility the scar tissue that is now present.
Predator | Avenger | Boss | Drone | Buzzz | Yeti
corey115
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JimW » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:34 pm

Trees anywhere near me when I'm throwing mess with my head and I've never even injured myself hitting one. Even if I know there's no way I'll hit it I still have a hard time getting a good shot off if there's one close to me, especially on my blind side.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby JR » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:27 am

Follow through troubles are nasty. I've bled from a backhand to a broken branch stump that was jagged, solid and sharp at the tip. I've fallen twice this fall and do slip more than that during winters. But I've got new traction devices to try out. Too bad the manufacturers suggest that they only work on ice and snow not the bleeping mud we've had since summer. I've uprooted grass too many times. It's only my experience of falling down safely and good limberness that's saved me from being injured.

I'm minced from non DG related injuries that'll last for a lifetime. Ankle too like the OP is one of my concerns. Doc said it's gonna hurt for 10 years after hard training if I don't hurt it again ever. If I do it's major downhill for me and I lose power and probably the ability to do run ups. Even x steps may be dangerous if it gets to that. A tendon almost snapped in two.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby discspeed » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:22 am

Damn, as I'm sitting home from work RICEing my ankle in hopes I may play this weekend, I'm starting to come to the realization that I shouldn't even try. Although I sprained my left ankle worse last winter and was playing a couple days later, my right foot is my plant/pivot foot. I don't think its going to be able to bear that force (and definitely shouldn't) running up or even standing still. This sucks.
discspeed

Postby CHAS. » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:01 pm

Yes give it a rest as much as that hurts cause you can do enough ligament damage you might not ever pivot on the ball of your foot again. I broke my ankle two years ago before I knew about disc golf and I am still trying to stretch the ligaments and tendons to pivot on my right foot so save a little ice for an adult beverage and put the rest on your ankle and have a speedy recovery.
CHAS.
Noob

Favorite Disc: Valkryrie

Postby sleepy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:23 pm

corey115 wrote:Now whenever there is a tree even remotely close to the area where I follow through, I instinctively curl up after I release, resulting in poor shots. I just can't see to shake it from my mind.

Have you tried looking for a shot other than the traditional backhand that doesn't involve the tree at all? Something like putting your left foot behind your lie and leaning out to the left to give your backhand more room, or leaning out to the right for a flick shot.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby discspeed » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:28 pm

CHAS. wrote:Yes give it a rest as much as that hurts cause you can do enough ligament damage you might not ever pivot on the ball of your foot again. I broke my ankle two years ago before I knew about disc golf and I am still trying to stretch the ligaments and tendons to pivot on my right foot so save a little ice for an adult beverage and put the rest on your ankle and have a speedy recovery.

Yeah, good advice. I've decided I'm going to play my handicap on Sunday...but all forehand where I'm not putting any weight or force on my right foot. When I thought about that today and went through the movement in slow motion pain free I felt like it was a breakthrough and it got me excited. This could end up helping my game by improving my forehand.
discspeed

Postby JimW » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:49 pm

discspeed wrote:Yeah, good advice. I've decided I'm going to play my handicap on Sunday...but all forehand where I'm not putting any weight or force on my right foot. When I thought about that today and went through the movement in slow motion pain free I felt like it was a breakthrough and it got me excited. This could end up helping my game by improving my forehand.

That's how CR says he developed his forehand, he hurt something (I think his ankle) and couldn't throw backhand for a while.

As for DG injuries, I have a nice big scrape on my right arm from a sloppy dismount from a tree at Taylor :lol: Had to get my Stalker out and it was pretty high up. Was a very impressive tree climb, by far the most difficult one I've ever done.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Next

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury