DG Injuries...

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: DG Injuries...

Postby corey115 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:21 pm

sleepy wrote:
corey115 wrote:Now whenever there is a tree even remotely close to the area where I follow through, I instinctively curl up after I release, resulting in poor shots. I just can't see to shake it from my mind.

Have you tried looking for a shot other than the traditional backhand that doesn't involve the tree at all? Something like putting your left foot behind your lie and leaning out to the left to give your backhand more room, or leaning out to the right for a flick shot.

sleepy

I try to avoid it as much as I can with footing and forehands but sometimes I just can't avoid it.
Predator | Avenger | Boss | Drone | Buzzz | Yeti
corey115
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby discspeed » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:35 pm

JimW wrote:
discspeed wrote:Yeah, good advice. I've decided I'm going to play my handicap on Sunday...but all forehand where I'm not putting any weight or force on my right foot. When I thought about that today and went through the movement in slow motion pain free I felt like it was a breakthrough and it got me excited. This could end up helping my game by improving my forehand.

That's how CR says he developed his forehand, he hurt something (I think his ankle) and couldn't throw backhand for a while.

As for DG injuries, I have a nice big scrape on my right arm from a sloppy dismount from a tree at Taylor :lol: Had to get my Stalker out and it was pretty high up. Was a very impressive tree climb, by far the most difficult one I've ever done.

So sunday may be your chance to beat me if I'm going all forehand!
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby JimW » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:10 pm

I'm on hiatus from competitive golf right now, though I could just come play alongside everyone but not participate in the handicap. Unfortunately that won't be happening because I have to work 9 PM - 6 AM Sunday morning and I don't feel like doing the hour and a half of sleep before waking up and going to play like I did last time I worked that shift.

Besides, that wouldn't count 8) I have to beat you when you're healthy and in good form.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby Robin Hood » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:51 pm

A week or two ago I was walking from 17's basket to 18's pad on a new course where the terrain isn't exactly beaten in yet. stepped on/into something and seriously rolled my left ankle. I've never gotten lightheaded from pain before but I did this time. I was laid up for 4 days. its now been 3 weeks and I'm finally able to do everything I used to without even noticing my ankle. Mind you, I was golfing a week later but still had some pain and once that wore off I could still still feel the tendons being very tight. Other than that incident I have never injured myself outside of fingertip blisters/calluses.
Force/Tracker/Hornet/Buzzz/Comet/Zone/Challenger
Robin Hood
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby discspeed » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:35 pm

Robin Hood wrote: I've never gotten lightheaded from pain before but I did this time.

This last one I got light headed and started to black out for a moment, then I almost felt buzzed with adrenaline and my ankle felt flushed with warmth. I think its minor shock...The last time I sprained my ankle worse I got cold sweats and felt seriously effed up while driving home. My injured ankle was pulsing so hard I felt it through my entire body. Injuries are so weird...
discspeed

Postby marmoset » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:52 am

I have only fainted once and it came directly after an ankle injury.

In between services at church, I decided I needed to go to the bathroom. My wife said she would go with me so we walk down the stairs together, horsin' around as usual. She kinda pushed me a little and my high heel caught the runner of the step above the one I was aiming for. Twist!

So I painfully waddled to the bathrooms trying to walk it off like a man. I am standing at the urinal trying to pee but hten I start feeling kinda light headed and cold-sweaty. When I started to get the prickles and tunnel vision I decided I should leave the urinal and hover above a toilet in a stall because I figured I was about to puke.

Next thing I know I am waking up. I have no idea how long I was out but it must have been 5-10 minutes because services had started. All I knew ws that I was just waking up, I saw lots of fuzzy bright white light, and I heard singing.

I thought I had died and gone to heaven! :oops: :lol:

Apparently its called a vasovagal episode.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby tigel » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:19 am

I've never had much injuries from sports growing up. However, I broke my left foot 3 months ago and during that time I but a LOT of pressure on my right knee to keep my balance and such. Through disc golf and that injury my knee now aches when my knee is flat. I say through disc golf because I'd assume when I pivot, I'm putting some kind of strain on my right knee? Is that normal? Or should I be pivoting differently?

As for exercises, I work out daily and that includes leg work including dead lifts, and squats. How do I go about healing my knee? It's not a sharp or burning pain, its just an ache. An ache that gives me the urge to have to move my knee. I have no clue what that could be. I'm more wanting information so I don't damage my knee as I progress my disc golf career...
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JHern » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:49 am

On the one hand: Don't push your injuries, give your bodies time to heal before stressing them again. If you don't, you'll regret it for the rest of your lives. When you get older, your injuries, especially the ones you didn't take care of very well at their onset, will plague you. You'll lose sleep at night, shifting to find a comfortable position. When you die, you'll be happy that at least you no longer have to endure this or that pain you inherited when you were young and stupid.

On the other hand: There is a guy at DeLaveaga in Santa Cruz (Jacob) who only has one leg, and is the nicest, most upbeat, best throwing partner, and wickedest player, that you could ever have hoped to meet. This dude is truly inspiring, I think of him when things don't seem to be going so well for me personally, and it turns my whole world around. He embodies the truest spirit of disc golf, in every element, and is an anchor for what the sport is truly all about. And I think: is my injury all that bad? No.

But also be mindful of the first hand (i.e., the statement above), and take care of yourself. You only have one life, dude.

marmoset wrote:I have only fainted once...In between services at church...My wife...horsin' around as usual...Twist!...walk it off like a man...Next thing I know I am waking up...I saw lots of fuzzy bright white light, and I heard singing...I thought I had died and gone to heaven! :oops: :lol:

marmoset, it sounds like you're living a fun life. Don't change anything, man!
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby discndav » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:00 am

discspeed,

get one of below ankle braces, I have tendonitis in my ankle and my physical therapist recommend it as the best and I agree. It works great and is worth the money.

http://sportsmedinfo.net/reviews/index. ... ce-lace-up
discndav
Noob

Postby tigel » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:33 pm

I used that brace after I broke my foot. Fit perfectly even in my shoes and kept my mobility up as well.. A+
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby PeterM_Vang » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:29 am

Two years ago, I had my appendix burst sometime during a winter tournament that I was hosting. I felt fine when the tournament started and then it gradually got worse and worse. I think I literally busted a gut laughing, after someone had slipped on some ice while teeing off, grip locked, and threw their drive 100 feet behind the tee pad. I guess it could have burst while throwing as well. I shook it off for a few days and finally went to see the doctor after almost passing out from the pain. I got three months off of work and I was able to rebuild my entire throw from the hit backwards. I gained about 100 feet of distance that year after finally listening to Blake.
PeterM_Vang
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby discspeed » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:37 am

discndav wrote:discspeed,

get one of below ankle braces, I have tendonitis in my ankle and my physical therapist recommend it as the best and I agree. It works great and is worth the money.

http://sportsmedinfo.net/reviews/index. ... ce-lace-up

Thanks for the head up. I actually got a cheaper version of something similar at Walgreens. Its helping out big time. I'm going out to play my first round since I hurt my ankle this afternoon, so we will see how it works then.
discspeed

Postby JR » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:53 am

Donjoy T2 is an indy car to the beetle that was shown earlier in this thread when it comes to ankle braces.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby RS39 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:21 am

My elbow was binked up last year, not by one event, but I learned about tendons getting far less blood flow than muscle so they take much longer to heal small tears. I got a $15 Futuro Infinity elbow wrap brace at CVS, and it certainly helps.

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_ ... crumb=true

I feel way better than last fall. Just can't tell if the soreness came from disc, mtn bike abuse, darts, pool, fooseball, my second job...

And I cranked an ankle this spring, found a wet tree root on a drive, rolled over the right side. The next week was a friend's hog roast campout wedding (she is a keeper) and it was less fun that it could have been :(
Jokeri, Wasp, Fuse, Timberwolf, PD, Predator
RS39
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Earthless@Roadburn

Postby jw34 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:13 pm

tigel wrote:I say through disc golf because I'd assume when I pivot, I'm putting some kind of strain on my right knee? Is that normal? Or should I be pivoting differently?

Be very careful with pain when pivoting. I mentioned in another thread that I tore the meniscus cartilage in my pivot knee. If it hurts, find another method.
jw34
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

PreviousNext

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury