Knee exercises

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Knee exercises

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:03 pm

Who has some good knee exercises? I'm always looking for good exercises to keep my knees strong.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: Knee exercises

Postby JR » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:31 am

Frank Delicious wrote:Who has some good knee exercises? I'm always looking for good exercises to keep my knees strong.

Check out Wii Fit.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:47 am

I just sold my wii.
Frank Delicious

Postby rehder » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:54 am

squats and deadlifts...just make sure to use good technique
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ManU » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:43 pm

DON'T do leg extensions...they will destroy the stability in your knee
Also it is not so much that you are "strengthening your knees" rather it is the strength in the supporting musculature
I have discussed this with my sports med doctor often enough given the state of my knees
anyway the reco's are:
calf raises...if you don't have a set of weights at home...just use stairs...toes on the edge of the step, then lower and raise yourself...do one leg at a time

squats for sure...body weight will work...raise your arms in a "Y" above your head

wall sits...squat down and sit with your back against a wall...this will work your quads without straining the ligaments in your knee as your feet are planted (as opposed to when doing extensions)

lunges...step forward and lower your centre of gravity and then push back up

IF you do have a weight set...still do the above but squats with a bar finished with a calf raise

add weights to your lunges

and add in curls
hamstring strength is hugely important to stabilize the knee

and let's be clear you spend the all your time lugging your body weight around...so there is nothing wrong with training with your body weight...it trains you for exactly the job you have to do...it just might take extra time/reps etc

Favorite Disc: Orion LF

Postby JR » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:42 am

Exercising in pool helps with buoyancy. My mother does that because her knee ain't in original shape.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jw34 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:08 pm

ManU wrote:DON'T do leg extensions...they will destroy the stability in your knee
Also it is not so much that you are "strengthening your knees" rather it is the strength in the supporting musculature

Thanks for those knee exercises. About 8 weeks ago I found out I have a slight tear of my meniscus on the right knee. After reading up on it it's the perfect DG injury: Putting weight on a bent knee then twisting. I'm actually amazed more DGers don't have this happen. Anyway my doctor said the same thing about strengthening around the knee to make the knee stronger.
The hard thing for me now is to learn to throw without twisting on my heel. It doesn't hurt to throw on the ball of my foot, but I don't get the same distance.
jw34
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:20 pm

I too have suffered knee agitation from disc golfing. I even went to physical therapy for a little while for it. It's feeling alot better now but still not 100%.

What's been helping me a ton is hitting the gym regularly and concentrating on my legs and core. I also try to incorporate a good bit of flexibility exercises and I can already see improvements. It's a really nice feeling at the end of a round when you aren't fatigued at all and nothing hurts!!!
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby ManU » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:01 pm

well they say that your power is generated from the ground up so having a powerful lower body and core is very important.
my knee is completely F bombed (torn ACL, 2 torn menisci, and all sorts of arthritis) I am fortunate that it is NOT my plant leg

and I have to be honest that although I posted those exercises I don't actually faithfully follow them myself

I do, however, do a complete 2 set body routine that includes variations of squatting or dead lift motions and upper body work (I'd post my complete exercises but I don't know what some would be called...i.e. the "deadlift" that I do is a deadlift with calf raise and upright row all in one motion)

I don't work to any particular reps but mostly to failure for each exercise before moving to the next
the entire work out takes about 20 to 25 minutes

I do 1 day of "weights" followed by 1 day of elliptical machine (25 minutes on a "hills" program) and then a rest day then repeat

basically if you do something physically intense 3 to 4 days a week you should be good

I should probably add stretching but...deep down I'm a lazy SOB

Favorite Disc: Orion LF

Postby jw34 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:24 pm

I've been doing a lot of bike and elliptical work at the gym along with exercises for calf, hamstring and quads. One thing I've always focused on too along with normal upper body stuff is working the obliques and lower back. Those areas seem to get a lot of work in DG too.
jw34
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby victorb » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:20 pm

Strong hamstrings and calf muscles are the key to adding stability (strength) to your knees.

I actually don't have an ACL in my left knee, but have compensated for this by increasing the strength in my hams and calves has been enough to keep my knee stable. And no, I don't need to wear a knee brace when I'm doing pretty much any activity (except basketball)
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:24 pm

Backwards lunges have been great for helping my knee over the past few weeks.
Frank Delicious

Postby uNicedmeMan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:01 am

Frank Delicious wrote:Backwards lunges have been great for helping my knee over the past few weeks.

Me too. I did the P-90x lower body workout with my buddy on Tuesday, my legs are still super sore. I've got to find a way to loosen them up before glow tonight. :shock:
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby rehder » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:37 am

Ye lunges of all different types are really good, if you dont have access to a gym.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Craig » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:45 pm

I also have a tear in my medial meniscus. There was no real event that caused it to hurt - I thought maybe I somehow hurt it in hockey, but now I think it must have come from DG. I just started physio, but now I'm worried that I'll be prevented from playing DG by this injury in the long run.

I guess I have to stop playing, in the short term at least, to give it a chance to heal - right?
Craig
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury